Filthy neighbors!

scatty

We live in a townhouse and our next door neighbors are disgusting. They just lost custody of their kids to the guy's parents because of it. The management office has been trying to get them to clean up the garbage in their yard. They clean it up a little and it goes right back into being a disgusting mess in a short while.

Hopefully, without the kids there, they will clean the fucking place up. I have green flies coming in my house because of their laziness, or mental illness or whatever is going on with them. DH is friendly with the lady and wants to tell her to clean her fucking mess up, but he is too nice.

It got so bad one time that DH was out in the yard grilling food while gagging from the smell.

Does anyone here have dirty neighbors, and how can you tell them they are filthy slobs without offending them? I was thinking of offering to help, but I'm afraid I would throw up!

If they were not willing to make change to maintain their parental custody then

I would have hope they would change. There is no bigger motivation than one's children.

If your property management company gave a warning, then the next step might be the health department.

I am a dirty neighbor, but we keep it confined to our apartment. Things got out of hand when the gf and I both had major depressive episodes at the same time and didn't throw anything away for months. Now it's reached the point where we haven't been able to open the fridge or use the stove for years. It's just too overwhelming. We're planning on paying somebody to clean it out in the near future but it's going to cost around $500.

Don't be so quick to judge people who live in circumstances like that. It's not the way anyone would live by choice.

When it reaches a point where you, from a distance, are gagging on odors, you can be pretty sure it is a mental illness that is causing the situation. Like VE said, no one chooses to live that way if they are well. Unfortunately, they may be too ill to recognize it is a problem. You can offer to help, but more than likely they'll need a professional. I don't know anyone who has ever done it, but maybe contact Hoarders or another hoarding show (I think there are a few of them) and see if they will offer help? If the outside is that bad, it's more than likely that the inside is, too, particularly if the kids were taken away. Good luck.

I think the neighborly thing would be to help. Get a mask and gloves and offer to help.

If they're rude, call the city and complain. Do you belong to a homeowners association that would have rules about garbage?

If they live in such an environment that would result in their kids getting taken away, I would imagine that it's a severe problem in their lives that can't simply be resolved with some trash bags and elbow grease. I mean, who really wants to have their children taken away because you can't clean or throw anything away?

However, you must live in this neighborhood, so I would file a complaint concerning the outside issues (smells, trash) with either the homeowners association or the city code enforcement bureau.

Thanks for the responses! These are actually our "good" neighbors and I didn't want to offend them or get them kicked out of here. I know they have fallen on hard times. I found out they voluntarily signed over guardianship of their kids to his parents, for 3 months in order to get their place in order. They seem to be cleaning up the yard as well, so I don't plan on having to talk with them again (actually DH talks and I hide inside!)

Archived