My acupuncturist wants me off my medications

saoirse

What is up with the "alternative" practitioners I've been around? The past few times I've gone in for acupuncture (I have physical issues such as severe fatigue) my acupuncturist has been suggesting to me to reduce my medication instead of adding on (buspar was recently added for anxiety).

Then she said something about bipolar people needing medication, which I felt she was implying that because I don't have bipolar (well, the jury's out on that one right now) that I don't need medication. Because my recurrent psychotic depression and disabling anxiety are soooooo much fun.

She gave me a referral for a "psychiatrist" who works on reducing meds or taking people off of them altogether. I have no intention of calling this person. Medication saved my life.

I wish I could meet some alternative therapy people who aren't against medication. Acupuncture is helping out my physical issues a bit but meds are what stabilized my psychological condition.

Has anyone else ran into similar predicaments-- some "expert" telling them to go off their meds?

(hope this is in the right place, btw.)

I would say find a new acupuncturist. The one I have been to has never suggested I go off my meds. It sounds frustrating because the western and eastern medicines should ideally complement one another, IMO.

I have been thinking about it but this one is just so convenient. Maybe next time I will firmly tell her that I am not going off or reducing my medications and that is that, and see what happens. Perhaps I haven't been firm enough.

I pursued some alternative therapies for a while and was convinced to go off meds. I was on the wrong meds at that point, but that's beside the point. Anyway, i was convinced by the "doc" that I didn't need meds at all. Worst thing - led to my worst bout of suicidal depression ever.

Such practitioners drank the koolaid that their therapy was the only thing needed for perfect health. A truly wise practitioner will consider all therapies and choose the most effective ones - including pharmaceutical meds.

It is at the least unprofessional for a non-medical practitioner to make recommendations on medications, unless they have a MD. Considering the possible harm done, which includes death, it seems down right stupid and a big fat lawsuit waiting to happen. I wonder what these practitioners liability insurers would say if they knew that their clients are giving medical advice without a MD ?

Fuck your acupuncturist. Seriously.

My best friend is a naturopath on Topamax for seizures. That is why I listen to her advice, because she is willing to explore all avenues, and isn't so parochial. She would *never* tell me what meds to take or not take. She is all about complimenting, not substituting.

I had a chiropractor suggest I don't need medicine. I didn't go back. There are other chiropractors close to me.

It's not just alternative practitioners. My gyn asks if I really need all these meds which makes me second-guess if I'm on too much, but they are working. I had a tdoc who kept saying she thought I was on too much so I talked my pdoc into decreasing them and i crashed into an anxiety/depression episode and I had been doing really well, too.

I had a nice well meaning Yiddish allergist once, he was very successful in treating my issues, though it took daily prednisone to get my symptoms to remit. He asked me why I was taking antidepressants as I did not seem depressed. At all, he said. I gave it some thought and told him "you know what, I don't have any allergy symptoms anymore so I think I will stop seeing you". I think he got the point.

How is it any business of your acupuncturist's what medications you're on at all? Not her field. I would tell her, firmly, that you appreciate her concern but that you're going to continue to follow your pdoc's advice when it comes to treating your mental health issues. And if she won't let up, I'd tell her that it's none of her business and that if she doesn't drop it you'll find another acupuncturist. And if she still doesn't get it, I'd drop her like a hot rock.

There is a LOT of alternative health care here, and well respected schools such as Bastyr.

I have never had an alternative health care provider suggest I stop or reduce my medications.

It is absolutly NOT with in the scope of practice for an LaC, LMP, etc to give you medication advice.

I would not stay with a provider who was that stupid.

She's overstepping her boundaries. Huge.

I had a pharmacist question my pdoc's medications for me once. Last time I went there. Check for drug interactions, but don't play doctor!

That's really fucking annoying.

I once had a GP want to have a huge discussion with me about why I was on Seroquel if I was not schizophrenic. I was just like...talk to the hand, lady.

OMG! I would be seeing someone new. It is not cool for that guy to assume he has an MD. If he wanted to be an MD, why didn't he go to medical school? What does it take to be an acupuncturist, anyway? Could I do it? If so- that's scary. If he had to go through extensive training, why would he give you advice such as this?

Depending on what you're seeing an acupuncturist for, I'm not even sure I would mention my meds if I were you. I've used acupuncture in the past with good results for female troubles. But at the time I was living in L.A. and there's an acupuncturist on every corner.

The naturopath that I didn't go to see was the one who told me that the first thing I needed to do was get off all my meds. Sorry, thanks, but no, not at this time. Convenient or not, I think it's time to find a new actupuncturist. Maybe call first and ask them what their view of western medication is first.

I'd just straight up say that you thank them for their concern, but that's not the point of your visits.. you disagree and don't wish to hear any more on the matter. If they won't drop it - drop them.

I once had a therapist tell me I should get off all meds and just do more therapy. I was on and off meds all the time back then, because I didn't see the point and I didn't want to pay for them. Now that I'm taking meds regularly, I feel the most stable I've been for years. I'm only now realizing she was wrong.

I just filled out a form when I began getting acupuncture there that asked for my medications, so I listed all of them. Perhaps I shouldn't have, in retrospect. I've had this reaction before from alternative practitioners.

I'm not going to drop her yet, but if she doesn't let up on the medication thing, I will definitely will. The worst part is that my own mom is beginning to hope that alternative therapies can somehow remedy my mental health issues. Sorry, nothing but an AP has ever helped with my psychotic depression! And she was always the one most supportive of me going on meds, too. I know that it's just wishful thinking on her part, but it's still annoying. You'd think with the bipolar rampant in her family that she'd be more understanding.

Same thing has happened to me ... I went to see an acupuncturist and the first thing out of her mouth was to stop the prozac, and to not take it anymore. I didnt listen though. She ended up being "shady" --- she was charging me on a sliding scale, and after a few treatments she wanted to know if I could sell something (high priced) around where I live, for her, and we'd split the profit. I knew something was wrong, and stopped going soon after that happened.

Archived