Feeling better after 4 days? (Wellbutrin)

I went to the Crisis Stabilization Unit 4 days ago. They started me on Wellbutrin on my first day, and today I notice that I'm not as restless and I'm not crying, either. Is it possible for it to work this quickly?

I'm another one! I think it was the 3rd or 4th day that I was on the full dose (300mg) and it was as if my life started up again after being stopped for a long time. It felt a little speedy, but after the lethargy of depression, I didn't mind. That went away in a few days.

olga

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a generic (Par Pharmaceutical) for nine days and feel no change. Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, but CVS gave me this instead. Thought I'd try it before trying to get the brand name. Doctor said to break the pill in half and start with 150 mg. That would be for the real Wellbutrin, apparently, because he said the pill has a dividing line in the middle. Mine does not, and after reading many warnings against splitting an extended release pill I said - screw it, I'll start at 300. No side effects but mild headaches on Day 2. And no feelings of being back to my normal self, which is difficult for me to even remember what that was like. I know I used to be much happier and productive, I don't know what happened, all I know is now I'm not and it sucks.

I'm actually surprised at how many people seemed to stay "up" after the first week, and then just continued upwards.

I was told (and I've seen it here) that there would be a few days at the beginning where I have a lot of energy, but that that energy wasn't "it." About a month later I gradually noticed I wasn't feeling as bad.

I've been on a generic (Par Pharmaceutical) for nine days and feel no change. Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, but CVS gave me this instead. Thought I'd try it before trying to get the brand name. Doctor said to break the pill in half and start with 150 mg. That would be for the real Wellbutrin, apparently, because he said the pill has a dividing line in the middle. Mine does not, and after reading many warnings against splitting an extended release pill I said - screw it, I'll start at 300. No side effects but mild headaches on Day 2. And no feelings of being back to my normal self, which is difficult for me to even remember what that was like. I know I used to be much happier and productive, I don't know what happened, all I know is now I'm not and it sucks.

If it's sustained release you don't want to cut the pill in half. How many times a day are you supposed to take it?

Velvet - 300 mg, once a day. Today is Day 10. Gonna keep taking it and maybe it will kick in. If not, I've got an appointment with the Dr. at the end of this month. Or can I call the pharmacy and say - you guys got real Wellbutrin, because that's what's on my prescription (90 days)?

Dr. Pepper, the name brand Wellbutrin 300 XL does NOT have an indentation down the middle so you can break it in half. Your doctor is misinformed. Here is a link to a picture of the 150 and the 300 XL:

http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php?action=search&drugname=Wellbutrin%20XL

It is white and roughly the size of an aspirin, but thicker and with the imprint you see in the picture.

If your doctor wanted you to start on 150s, he should have prescribed that.

Since you are dealing with CVS, ask them if they carry the Watson Labs version of WellbutrinXL. For me (and I know everyone is different), the Watson version works just as well as the name brand, and the price difference is hundreds of dollars per month.

olga

Thanks, olga. It doesn't matter about the 150/300 because I started on 300 right off the bat. He said I could do that but some people find it easier starting on 150. I've been reading as much as I can about this drug (not the brand I'm taking but the overall, intended results) and I'm wondering how do you really know when it's working? Is it that dramatic, like night and day? Do some people, perhaps like me, only notice gradually? I've read a lot of testimonies from people who've noticed a difference but it's been difficult for me to pin down what exactly that difference is.

Before I started on Wellbutrin, I was in a deep depression. I didn't do any of the things I used to enjoy--no gardening, no reading, no traveling, only minimal cooking, etc. On the 3rd or 4th morning that I took it, I looked outdoors and realized that I WANTED to do something. I wanted to garden. I felt like I had a ton of energy. I proceeded to go outdoors and cut brush all morning, and then weed out my long-neglected asparagus patch. For me, it wasn't gradual. It's different for everyone, but it lifted that fog and hopeless feeling, and I wanted to live again.

This was the fourth antidepressant I tried, and I'd been giving the others a fair trial of several months each. The big difference was that I didn't feel hopeless anymore. I'm sure other people have reacted to it differently.

I urge you to ask your CVS about the Watson Labs version. Not all generics are alike, no matter what the doctors tell you.

olga

I experienced the same initial 'up' feeling but it did take about a month for the full effects to kick in.

Oddly enough, I have to take the 100mg generics. The 200 mg generic pills gave me a horrible migraine. I should probably try to find out what generic brand that was... Years ago when it became generic I had to up my dosage; the generic didn't work as well as the name brand for me.

Anyway, good luck!

Archived