CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
bubblegirl

How does an episode of dysphoric mania start?

I am not new at this, but I feel like a fool. I still cannot tell when an episode is coming on and that leaves me in a pretty dangerous place. My cycles are close together, even on medication. I have episodes of dysphoric mania that take me out of reality. Once I am there I cannot think to take any medication or call my doctor. I am just removed from reality completely. So far there has been someone to come along, but they didn't give me my medication, they just put me in the hospital. Now I live alone and I fear an episode that will put me in a suicidal state, with no one to come along and find me.

I wonder what your symptoms are before you have dysphoric mania. How can I tell it is coming? I could help myself if I knew.

I get agitated and irritable. I catch myself snapping at people. I start getting paranoid. It's hard for people to tell because I'm quiet and keepj my thoughts to myself.

Very little sleep, snapping at people, goal driven activity, increasing irritability, faster and faster racing thoughts, flight of ideas, "hearing" several trains of thought at once. Then I become weepy and scream and throw tantrums, or get really spacy, and cranky and bitchy because I can't get my brain to work.

I'm the same as confused, except I don't keep it to myself. I get very angry very easily.

I get agitated and irritable. I catch myself snapping at people. I start getting paranoid. It's hard for people to tell because I'm quiet and keepj my thoughts to myself.

It seems the symptoms that come on for you before a mixed episode are like my manic symptoms. Maybe I need to watch out when I get manic. Thank you.

I would really recommend looking into creating a wellness recovery action plan with one of your treatment providers, it could address warning signs and also an advanced directive for what people need to do when you hit crisis.

Yes, I contacted my State Mental Health Department last week. They are sending me the official form for an advance directive in my state. Thank you for the suggestion. Perhaps I am on the right track.

I also start getting highly agitated. My patience level starts plummeting to nothing, and I can't focus on anything. I start obsessing over small details and make them into huge ordeals. I start not being able to sleep at night, and the reason why is that I start getting a lot of anxiety-provoking and irrational thoughts popping into my head as I'm trying to sleep.

It seems the symptoms that come on for you before a mixed episode are like my manic symptoms. Maybe I need to watch out when I get manic. Thank you.

Maybe I misunderstood your question. Is dysphoric mania the same as mixed states ? I thought it was an unpleasant mania. I don't know if I have had a mixed state.

I think that dysphoric mania is just the type of mania that isn't the "fun" type.

Is there such a think as a mixed state that is euphoric, and not dysphoric?

I'm thinking not.

I don't think there is-I thought that by definition, a mixed state was basically an increase in the negative symptoms of a mood episode accompanied by the increased energy/insomnia of mania or hypomania. And you need a mood stabilizer to treat it, just like you do with other mood episodes.

Hmm, I realize I was describing dysphoric hypomania. Which isn't exactly the same thing, but is the unpleasant type of hypomania, so that was how my mind was running. My dysphoric hypomanias don't always escalate to the tipping point of mixed, but most of the time they do.

Am I even on the same topic? I am so confused, I am conflating all sorts of different threads.

Here is what I am talking about. I recorded this just after my last dysphoric mania episode.

Comes on without warning. My head vibrates. My vision gets blurry. My thoughts are indistinguishable they are going so fast. I am really confused. I am very sad. I think about suicide. I am agitated. I can’t focus. I need someone to be there to talk to me. My chest vibrates. My arms and legs have no feeling. I am in a fog. There is a circle of shadow and light around me. I am afraid. I am invincible. My mind is spinning. There is pressure on my head. Colors are brighter. Nothing looks real. I am floating. People’s voices echo like in a tunnel. They sound far away. People ignore what I say. They laugh at me. Time is not real. I am in the emergency room for ten hours and it seems like thirty minutes. I am paranoid. They are going to send me to the state hospital again. When I get to the room I can’t get to sleep. Lasts for days.

I think dysphoric mania and a mixed state are almost interchangeable terms. In both, you have intertwining feelings of being amped up, but with extreme unpleasant effects such as agitation, paranoia, rapid thoughts, and in my case, thoughts of self-harm.

There is no definition of dysphoric mania in the DSM-IV. There is only mixed state. Only the MMDT uses the term dysphoric mania as a subtype of mixed states. Of course, this could change in the DSM-V.

I have likewise always taken dysphoric mania to merely mean a mixed state dominated by manic features (as opposed to one dominated by depressive features).

Dysphoric hypomania (the same, but with hypomanic rather than fully manic features) to me has the characteristic feature of that I lose the ability to filter out auditory or visual stimuli (including hallucinations), and get very easily distracted and irritated by them. My head is also typically filled with a flurry of thoughts, that generally do not go in any purposeful direction. As the hypomanic component gets stronger, it feels more like hypomania but with an undercurrent of sourness and pain, which correlates with how strong the depressive component is.

(More severe but not dysphoric hypomania also has the feature of losing the ability to filter stimuli, but it typically requires far more pronounced non-dysphoric hypomania for this to happen, whereas it will happen with even mild dysphoric hypomania for me. Also, I do not get nearly as easily irritated by them as in dysphoric hypomania, where I fiind them highly irritating.)

Edited by Closure

The first sign of any impending mood change for me is always sleep changes, whether it's too much or too little. Then, there is usually some sort of appetite disturbance, too, following closely on the heels of the screwed-up sleep, but that's not always a given.

To me, dysphoric mania is simply mania. (I don't have euphoric ones, under non-medication-related circumstances.) It's unpleasant, but mixed states are worse. Mixed states involve everything that sucks about dysphoric mania piled on top of everything that sucks about depression. It's a personal hell that I hope I never experience again and wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Hi everyone, I am new here and have been researching the net lately to find some help regarding some incidents that have happened.

I met my current girlfriend in Thailand last year and now have her visiting with me on a 3 month visa here in Sydney.

I have a 16 year old step daughter who, until recently lived with me.

The first weird episode occurred after my girlfriend was here for about two weeks. She saw me messing around in the kitchen making pasta with my step daughter. I witnessed the most amazing rage episode I have ever seen in my life. It was unexpected and I didn't know what to do except go into the room where my girlfriend was and try and comfort her.

This episode of rage and throwing things around the room stating she hates me and my step daughter (in an evil tone, evil eyes and uncontrollable heavy breathing) is followed by a combination of severe tiredness, confusion, talking about her children and smiling and talking about when we met etc.

I have to place a massive effort into talking her around and snapping her out of it. Sometimes she is looking into space. Other times she hears how angry people are with her. She says they are speaking into her ears.

I know this all sounds weird like she's 'crazy' but she is so normal 99% of the time but then has these rage episodes which are a huge effort for me to reverse back into happiness.

Does anyone have any idea what these episodes sound like? A name of a disorder or something to steer me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Adrian. We are a peer support site, which means we only have members who have a mental illness, not family or friends. She is welcome to become a member, if she has a psychiatric disorder. It sounds like she needs to go see a psychiatrist soon.

I am sorry we can't be more help. At the top of this forum, there is a pinned thread with info for family  members, I am hoping you can find some help there.

But I wouldn't assume it is bipolar disorder. I am guessing you are, because of where you posted. Please have her evaluated by a psychiatrist.

Dysphoric mania and agitated depression are both mixed states. I am unaware of other types of mixed states. The former has a manic dominance while the latter does not. Levels of depression in both types are apparently about the same. Symptoms are worse overall for dysphoric mania. Any least that is what I have read.

I think I've experienced both and they're no fun. The dysphoric mania for sure. I had a bunch of those during the past year, and it is just the shits when at full intensity. They have never struck me outta the blue while I'm normal. A new episodes starts with something else. But I'm so often far from normal ,that it can seem that way. Just a couple weeks ago I went from depression to that feeling. Ick. Depression is were I,be been spending much of my time lately. So suddenly I had this mixed state. just kinda noticed it outta nowhere one day. Fortunately was mild. And after five days of that, I got a huge surge of energy out of nowhere and was suddenly manic. OMG, that felt sooooooooo good. But I eventually took my AAP and sent it bye-bye. I didn't want to. And then there were a few weird days and now I'm back to depression. Anyway, that's how a it comes one for me. It doesn't come on slowly over days or weeks. Suddenly it's there.

I think if there was someone I hated so much, without any redeeming qualities, my perfect punishment would be to banish the person into a genie bottle in a state of perpetual dysphoric mania with hallucinations and delusions. No sleep. And no actual way to actually kill yourself. Oh, that would be hell!

Edited by Flash

I had my first psychotic features two years ago: Voices, and I also clanged I was pretty freaked. I may have been manic before then, because my pdoc had always been on vacation when I got crazy, and based his opinions on the covering pdocs. But he knows I present (too) well. I looked like shit, so he knew something was really wrong.

I think I have had mild episodes of agitated depression, and somewhat severe episodes of dysphoric mania. This is my purely unscientific conclusion.

When I go I to a dysphoric mania it pretty much comes on at once.

I can't trust what words are going to come out of my mouth or if I am going to break windows. I drive in the fast laden, going the wrong direction. Fast, than faster. Or sit by the train track and wait till a train is there and drive on the track.

If I can be talked off, ir is back to massive Prolixin ( as old as haldol).