CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
mambo

Med shuffle recommendations?

I'm BPII and have been depressed for quite a while, but I can't seem to find any meds that help/don't make matters worse.

I love my Abilify and don't really want to get rid of it, but i'm looking for a different antidepressant or a good add-on.

I've been on the max dose (450mg) of Wellbutrin for 4 months and have been more stable(probably the abilify) and not as suicidal, but I've still been farther down that I should be. I can't take SSRI's without crazy mood changes, so I refuse to try any or add on any.

I guess my question is; has anyone found a good combo with abilify to fight depression without crazy mood swings? I know everyone reacts to meds differently. I just would like to know a little more about some options when I see my pdoc tomorrow.

Maybe lamictal. It's a mood stabilizer but has some anti depressant qualities

You could consider Lamictal. It is becoming gold standard for BP2 - not as much anti-manic action but a very good antidepressant. I am not BP but antidepressants sometimes flip me hypomanic and I've found it to be a great option for NOT fucking me up.

There is also Remeron in terms of non-SSRI antidepressants but it will likely make you fat and sleepy. It crapped out really fast for me.

Cool deal. Thanks, y'all. I'm looking up info for lamictal now and it looks like a good option. I'm gonna have to vote no for something that makes me sleepy though. I already have problems with being tired too often...I'll keep that in mind if my pdoc recommends it.

seroquel is approved for bipolar depression, i believe. it helped me a lot (around the 300-450mg range) until i had to go off it due to side effects.

I second Lamictal.

Or lithium. It's worked wonders for me.

Thanks everyone!

My pdoc recommended Cymbalta first, but when I mentioned Lamictal she seemed like she was mad at herself for not thinking of it first. So, I'm giving the generic Lamictal a try in combination with my Welbutrin and Abilify. Let's hope this works!

That's wonderful that your pdoc listens respectfully to your input. Not a given with pdocs.

Yeah, crtclms. It's really nice that she listens. We even went a little over time today to discuss the pros and cons of the different add-on's. She's a great pdoc!

Lamictal would be my first choice, and I would be surprised if it made you sleepy. It might even make you a little zippy at first. Be warned. It'll go away.

Of course, I also take Seroquel for depression and as an adjunct to stabilize my mood, and recently when I got very depressed my pdoc was kicking around the idea of adding Abilify. So that combo might be something to consider too. (We decided to up my LTG and Seroquel first and see what happened, so no first hand experience here. Sorry.)

I hope it works :) I take those 3 meds and they work well for me

Me too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Oniliscious
      I don’t know what category my question goes under, as I do have multiple symptoms in like 3-4 other categories. So, I’ll just try it here...
      Hi everyone. I have schizoaffective disorder-bipolar type, GAD and I also struggle with sever depression. 
      Right now, I am currently on Nortriptyline 75mg 3x/day. This dose goes beyond the maximum dose and I’m still struggling with tiredness and just a low, funky, depressive mood all day. All and all, this particular antidepressant isn’t necessarily helping me.
      So here’s the thing. I used to take Wellbutrin like a decade ago before I was even known to have schizoaffecfive, so my anxiety at the time went through the roof without realizing the underlying issues of a disorder unknown to me at the time. Fast forward a decade later, I’m on a completely different regimen now and I just would like to know if anyone else has schizoaffective disorder, GAD and/or depression like me who is currently on Wellbutrin. I just want to gain some insight from people with my condition (all of any symptom) about Wellbutrin and if it was a life saver for them or not. And if Wellbutrin isn’t a favorable med, could you guys give me some insight for what works for a schizo/bipolar diagnosis? You can even drop antidepressant names and I can do a little research as well to see what my options are. Maybe there are some I’ve never heard of that could possibly work me.
      I’m going to talk to my pdoc about this for sure. I just want to make sure I have enough insight/info from others so that I can know what to suggest to her in case it may help her and I figure out what might or might not work. I’m sure my pdoc will know, but doctors don’t always or exactly know how their patients really feel on a daily basis. Only patients can really tell their doctors what exactly is going on with them, hence why I’d love your feedback in case you’ve gone through what I’m going through now.
      I’m no doctor, I know, but hearing other peoples’ experiences gives me some insight about what I can talk to my pdoc about. 
      What does Wellbutrin feel like when you are on it?
    • By l'appel du vide
      So, I went to see my GP to talk about possibly switching from Prozac to something else. I am not sure if my Prozac is pooping out or if it just normal life stressors getting to me. So, I discussed this with him and he had me do some genetic testing to see if I metabolize psychiatric meds normally. I got the results back, and apparently the only abnormal thing is that I have a gene mutation that makes me unable to metabolize folic acid properly, so he prescribed something called Deplin, generic version L-Methylfolate 15mg. With insurance coverage it is $56 a month!! I am wondering if anyone has had noticeable, positive results from this before I drop $56 on basically a pharmaceutical grade vitamin. I am thinking that maybe I should just go back to seeing a therapist and not go on the med merry-go-round again, since Prozac is still working and life is not so bad to warrant a huge medication change. Maybe possibly going from Prozac 20mg to 30mg? Since 40mg had benefits but I was WAYYYYYYYY too fatigued all the time.
      Another thing I want to inquire about is possibly augmenting Prozac with Wellbutrin. I had been on Wellbutrin 150mg XL 4 years ago, and I think I liked it but it made me VERY irritable. The difference then is that that was my main antidepressant, second one being Remeron 15mg, but that was mostly for sleep. I am wondering maybe the Prozac has leveled me out more so I will not be as irritable from the Wellbutrin. Anyone had success with an SSRI + Wellbutrin? Thank you all.
    • By Rouge22
      I just started taking Wellbutrin and have been currently taking it for 3 days now and I’ve been getting multiple symptoms listed from the Wellbutrin. I’ve been having stomach pains, nausea, dizziness and headaches, should I stop taking the Wellbutrin if I have these effects or would they go away after the first 1 or 2 weeks?
    • By rextasy
      https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k1315
    • By wookie
      Hello,
      I am currently on two medications,  Zoloft 100mg and Lyrica 300mg, and had sort of a weird bought of mood swings over the last two weeks that may have been just work related though I was feeling agitated one day, and flat and depressed the next few days.  Now I am sort of about as normal as normal gets, for now.
      Different medications have been suggested to me for managing bipolar II and I am sort of hesitant to try something in addition to what I am already on because what if my medication trial goes side ways and it makes me worse?  I know start up can be rough but I just don't know if things are bad enough now to start messing around.  I was feeling anxious and scared about work (enough that I took a day off to reset myself) and wondered if I could benefit from different meds that are more in-line for treating bipolar disorder.
      I feel kind of stuck and wish I was starting from where I am on no meds to transitioning to 1st line treatment for bipolar.
      Any thoughts?  Anyone start out on meds for MDD and anxiety transition well to meds for bipolar?  Med changes are never fun in my experience.