*SIGH* I am fed up with my inability to lose weight. I went to my pdoc and told her my concerns and she said get back on metformin. So now I'm going to go back to my gp and request a dietician and an endo referral. I am wondering if mentformin will actually help because I'm not really insulin resistant or diabetic. I took it before but I didn't take it regular so it didn't do much and plus I only took it three weeks and got fed up and felt sick, physically.

I am 5'2 and 168 pounds. I have put on 14lbs in the last five months and I cannot shift it even though I am eating same as before but I've added exercise as well.

Edited by Rose

I have PCOS too. Was recently diagnosed and put on Metformin, which helped me lose 11 pounds. I seem to be stagnating with the weight loss at this point, but 11 pounds is still something. Perhaps if you take the Metformin regularly, it will help you lose weight.

*SIGH* I am fed up with my inability to lose weight. I went to my pdoc and told her my concerns and she said get back on metformin. So now I'm going to go back to my gp and request a dietician and an endo referral. I am wondering if mentformin will actually help because I'm not really insulin resistant or diabetic. I took it before but I didn't take it regular so it didn't do much and plus I only took it three weeks and got fed up and felt sick, physically.

I am 5'2 and 168 pounds. I have put on 14lbs in the last five months and I cannot shift it even though I am eating same as before but I've added exercise as well.

Have you gotten your thyroid checked?

I have PCOS (diagnosed in 1995) and have been following a calorie-restricted diet for the past several months. I initially lost some weight, but now it's starting to come back without me doing anything different. It's so frustrating. I saw a NP who didn't want to prescribe me metformin, even though I told her about how my mental meds could raise my glucose intolerance. So I'm seeing my actual GP on the1st to talk about getting on metformin.

My pdoc won't prescribe it, because he said it's not in his realm of scribing. I can't say as I blame him there.

I'm also seeing my OBGYN on the 7th to see if he wants to run tests as well. I haven't had a period since 04-2010, so that is getting to be a cause for concern.

I'm hoping to get on metformin and have it lower my glucose intolerance level to such that I can more normally process the foods I eat, lose weight, and get back on a regular menstrual cycle.

Thanks malachite, even 11 pounds would be nice to lose, sounds encouraging.

Melissa - No i do not have an under active thyroid. I've had several tests done so PCOS seems to be the only explanation.

Gizmo i can sympathise. my GP prescribed it pretty much without question last time and i'm hoping this time will be the same. otherwise i'll ask a referral to see a gynaecologist or endocrinologist. we'll see how it goes :) i've heard cinnamon helps to lower blood sugars in the meantimes enabling weight loss but not sure how valid this is. worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is going to be so long.....

I was recently kinda diagnosed with PCOS. I have finally decided to go on on 500 mg metformin as well as Progesterone.

My whole life I haven't had periods ever since my first one came and went at 14. Unless I was on birth control or I “jump start” them with provera or prometrium, they don’t come. I think there has been a handful of exceptions to that but since I am now almost 33 NEVER is pretty accurate. I have also always been overweight. Not obese, but not what I should be. The good news – I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I am still only just as heavy as I am if I am dieting and exercising my butt off! The bad news is I can’t lose weight even if I am exercising my butt off!

There was one exception and that was when I went on quick weight loss. I dropped 30 pounds and weighed pretty much the lowest I ever did since middle school…. And (of course) got pregnant. Pretty big surprise considering I didn’t think I could have kids. I can’t help but wonder whats in those pills at QWL – my girlfriend lost a ton of weight on it and b.c preggo too. Our babies are 15 days a part. Anyway - once the shock wore off I was happy. But I gained the 30 I had lost plus another 30. My daughter turned two last week and I am still only ten pounds lighter than I was the day she was born… despite boot camp, zumba, 9rounds, dieting, etc. Going back on the diet is not an option. I spent near $1600 to lose those 30 lbs… all on credit cards I am still paying off. Also – even though I lost the 30, my friend was three times my size and lost so much weight. They advertise losing 3 – 5 a wekk. I did everything to a science on that diet and struggled to lose a pound a week. No drinking, no milk, no soda, no rice, no potatoes. I don’t think that is living. And even when I follow just that diet now, I still don’t lose anything so I really think something is seriously wrong. But back to the story – sorry I kinda got off track…

My gyn’s have always basically told me that having no period is normal and ok. My primary Dr. seems to only concern himself with my high cholesterol – which no amount of eating right seems to help. In addition to that my wonderful hubby (this is usually said with sarcasm, but not in this case) has told me that it has become increasingly difficult to deal with me. B/C of the difficulties I have had in life (ADHD, Anxiety – never medicated for either b/c drugs didn’t work or just made me feel worse anyway so it was easier just to cope) I can only believe him.

Anyway – a few months ago he insisted I try this age management type of place b/c they think outside the box- don’t take medical insurance though. In addition my mom was urging me to go holistic. She has always had the belief that my thyroid was not right even through traditional testing indicates its fine. Some extended relatives apparently have the same issues and went the holistic route – got results, periods, lost weight and had babies. Holistic also are not covered by insurance and my luck I would find the biggest quack in town! I am def at the point where I need to do SOMETHING, but I don’t have much money either.

So I went to this place and they did the blood work (all panels of thyroid and like every blood test on earth) and came up with some interesting results. And this Nurse Practitioner asks me – have you ever been diagnosed with PCOS? And I was like, what’s that? So she tells me and off I go and end up goggling the crap out of it. All of a sudden it’s like here is this condition I fit to a tee. And all I can think of is HTF has no one ever diagnosed me with this before? I was honestly enraged.

However - I was still scared to trust these untraditional results that are not covered by my ins. And I never even saw a “real” dr there. Sure my levels were off, particularly my estrogen (it was post-menopausal in fact). So, they suggested progesterone in addition to testosterone (a very tiny amount for energy) metformin and also something for thyroid (also only a tiny bit off). I am scared to death that by going off on my own and taking this I would damage something and either destroy my thyroid or end up a diabetic for real. Not so much because I do not trust people (which I don’t b/c most ppl in the medical profession have proven themselves to be IDIOTS!) but because, that is my luck.

Because of my fears I sent the information to my GYN to get a second opinion on the blood work. I also added info on polycistic ovarian syndrome. It boggled my mind that the NP came up with that and no one else has after all these years. The more research I did on the topic, the more and more the puzzle was going together for me - down to being diagnosed with gestational diabetes when preggo. In fact I don't think I ever even had that - I think I have insulin resistance which is common with PCOS. They test for gestational diabetes the same way they test for insulin resistance. That test made me so sick, but other than THAT TEST nothing else about my pregnancy pointed to gestational diabetes. They made the pregnancy hell with weekly drs appts and sonograms – on this I blew most of my vacation time so I ended up with only 6 weeks at home with my baby, pressured me about carrying full term instead of a section, and once I was full term talked me into enduction that went terribly wrong (48 hours later had a cetion anyway). And after all that was she a “big” baby? Nope. 8.5 lb healthy happy baby girl. With an exhausted emotionally screwed mom doped up on Percocet.

So where am I going with this? I guess I am kinda PISSED that no one else ever got this and I want to make sure, 100% positive, that I am all these things prior to medicating. i guess I just wanted reassurance that I am not going to essentially pay through the nose with money I don’t have just to hurt myself.

When my GYN FINALLY got back to me he agreed with the PCOS but not the hormones. He wanted to do no additional testing and was happy to write me a script right over the phone. Are you effing kidding me? And b/c he took so long to get back to me I got desperate and discussed with my pcp who thought I should go the route of hormones with my gyn (who again didn’t think I needed hormones) and steer clear of anything with thyroid or sugar.

So add this fear to the financial aspect of affording these less synthetic more natural drugs to my already STRECHED wallet…. I sat and sat and sat on the information not knowing wtf to do.

I know a few hundred a month doesn't seem like a lot of money but to me it really is. I want to "fix" myself so badly, If I do have PCOS and I don't treat it I COULD very well end up a diabetic or with heart disease and more. Simply bc my dr's wouldn't listen to me all these years?!?! I started this process in April and its now August. My hubby is at his wits end. We are always fighting. I can’t control my emotions. This is NOT the example I want to be for my daughter. So I researched and researched my butt off and finally decided to go with half of what this place recommended, at least to start. I made an appt with gyn and of course you can’t get in for a fricken month which is just ridiculous. I decided I will start these on next Monday and when I go to see him in a month I will either be flying high or on death’s door and we can go from there…..

Don’t know why I am pouring my heart out to a bunch of strangers. In my research I saw Rose’s post and just felt compelled. I can’t live like this anymore. Not having to deal with a period – sure that part ROCKS. But the rest of PCOS is really just starting to break me down… if in fact it is what I have. I can’t see how it’s not. I hate self medicating in this way and essentially that feels like what I am doing. But these primary drs and gyns and insurances and the whole mess??? I don’t see how anything gets done! I swear they want us all fat, sick and dying.

Thanks for listening. Good luck Rose!

I saw my GP yesterday, and she's agreed to put me on metformin if my blood work comes back showing I have signs of PCOS. So I'm having tests such as testosterone, LH/FSH, DHEA, insulin, lipid panel, etc. my follow up appt isn't for six weeks (gotta love HMO doctors) but I'm hoping that my OB/GYN will interpret the results and prescribe the metformin if warranted.

As for the above poster, I would never agree to have a holistic doctor that doesnt take insurance prescribe me such a variety of meds, from thyroid to metformin. I mean, everyone is individual, but I would put my trust in someone who is more about taking care of people than about making as much in profits as humanly possible.

So for me, I'm still waiting and seeing, but I'm almost done with the process. Hopefully, things work out and it's not all for nothing.

I have PCOS. I put on a lot of weight with an AAP and took depakote, which made my PCOS worse.

I have started a nutritional and sensible diet plan where I eat mainly whole foods and cook myself. My milk, bread and sugar/fat is limited, and I can eat freely from pasta, grains, potatoes, veggies, fruits, fat free dairy, fish, lean meat with no visible fat on it, eggs and tofu/soya without having to measure or calorie count. I have lost a stone in two months, without doing any significant amount of exercising. I don't feel deprived and I find even though I can have a half pound fluctuation, the weight isn't yo yo ing.

I carried excess weight for many years, without a period at all for most of some years, along with pain, heavy periods when I had them. Since losing weight, my skin has cleared, I have less body hair and I have a regular cycle. I have tested for diabetes, which I do not have yet, but even though I was told I was 'pre insulin resistant' and I would find it hard to shift the weight, it has not been so.

I have had to limit myself from lattes, doughnuts, fast food etc, which has been genuinely difficult because I am a comfort eater and I do get cravings linked to my AAP usage. However I have been through enough with PCOS and in my case, I knew I was kidding myself that I was eating properly. It took a fertility consultant being rudely blunt before I realized that I might not have the chance to have kids if I didn't address the fact my BMI was off the charts. It does take preparation, money and time, but it has actually not as tough to lose the weight as it was in my head before I started. I've had so much pain that ruined sex, heavy periods that meant I couldn't leave the house, cervical dyskareosis, a miscarriage, birth control has been a fucking nightmare. I hate having left the house and finding I hgave missed a stray facial hair.

In the end, in my case, I had to suck it up and lose weight, because the GP refused to treat me with metformin. Everyone told me that losing weight with PCOS was impossible, but drops off my as quick/quicker than my friends who are slimming with me and don't have PCOS. For me, it really was a weight issue.

Wow jmak72510 I am so sorry you had to go through all of this :( I completely emphasise. It doesn't matter how much exercise I put in i cannot lose weight. People tell me I must be eating too much, not exercising enough, which is simply NOT the case. In fact I need to eat MORE. Maybe I need to eat less carbs, which limits what I can eat because I'm a veggie.

gizmo, that's great news. Didn't you have a scan though for PCOS? Shouldn't that be enough to get you on metformin. I know my hormone levels were perfectly within the normal range but a scan confirmed I had PCOS.

Titania, wow congratuations. Quite an achievement. I swear I put on this weight after i tried several antidepressants and i thinki t could have made my pcos worse but i will never know now what caused the weight gain. my doctor refuses to accept its the cause.

gizmo, that's great news. Didn't you have a scan though for PCOS? Shouldn't that be enough to get you on metformin. I know my hormone levels were perfectly within the normal range but a scan confirmed I had PCOS.

I had an transvaginal ultrasound and hormone tests back in 95. It showed I had about 20 cysts on each ovary, and they were at least double the normal size. My LH/FSH rstio wasn't too bad, but the individual results were out of whack. So that's how I was dx'd. That, along with my excess abdominal weight and lack of regular periods since I started back at 12.

I had a t/v ultrasound about three years ago, and things looked much better with my ovaries, which is why my GP wants hormone tests to see if the PCOS dx is still valid. This is one reason why I want to discuss this with my OB/GYN - because women with PCOS can have normal LH/FSH ratios, and not all of them have cystic ovaries. To my knowledge, PCOS does not magically resolve itself over time, especially in my case, where I haven't had a period in so long.

But we'll see, anyway.

As for losing weight affecting PCOS, I have slowly went from 226 last year to 209 yesterday. But I'm basically starving every day, eating low-calorie low fat foods and cooking my dinners every night. I only eat about 1100-1200 calories a day, which is so difficult because I get so hungry around 8 every night, and I have to fight hunger the rest of the night. So in my case, eating right is definitely not my issue. The only thing I could improve on is that my family eats lots of filling pasta and rice. About 3-4 ounces of meat per meal. I could also exercise more.

But here's the thing: I lost 30 pounds about four years ago while on geodon on about two months following the same routine. So something in my body, my metabolism, whatever, that is not causing me to lose weight the same way as I know my body can. So it's something I'd like to see if I can fix.

To be fair, having the metabolic syndrome present with PCOS makes losing weight challenging. I didn't want to give the impression that it was easy (though it has been easier for than I thought it would be) but yes, once you have PCOS, the insulin issues then compound the unhealthy eating and the weight issue also compounds.

• 4 months later...

I have pcos and suffer badly with secondary infertility :( the worst bit for me, acne, slight hair and defo the weight, I lost a bit while calorie counting then within a month put 2stone back on. I'm currently on cycle day 74 but have spotted for the odd week or two here and there, as you can imagine I'm sore. I've seen gp but their view is lose weight, we diagnosed you so get on with it. Fertility clinic won't see me as my BMI is too high. I'm 5"3 and weigh approx 14stone. Stick with it xxx

• 1 month later...
Hi.

I have PCOS too and since starting the antiandrogen medication Spironolactone nearly 10 years ago, the weight is easier to come off. Spironolactone lowers the excess testosterone in your body. It does take a good few months to kick in with some unpleasant side effects at first, but I honestly don't think I could live without it now. Other Drs have questioned why I was prescribed it. It really, really annoys me that only one Dr had the bright idea of treating my excess testosterone with a drug that reduces it. My acne has gone, there is hardly any excess hair left , my mood is better and it is so much easier to lose weight. I was on metformin before Spironolactone and it made no difference to my symptoms. I was insulin resistant because I was overweight but now I'm not since losing the weight. 

I really recommend to anyone asking your Dr about an antiandrogen such as Spironolactone if you are still having difficulties. x