vivid NIGHTMARES, every night

For the past 6 months I have had a nightmare on average 3x per week. And I am a very vivid dreamer. I dream in color, I hear noise and I feel movement. So when the nightmares get severe I will commonly wake up screaming for bloody murder and wake up shaking uncontrollably. Both my parents and my fiance have been there during my nightmares, and all of them had to wake me up atleast twice a person during them. Its a hard thing to go through almost every night. And Im told its hard to watch.

But I have a concern, is there treatment for this? I wonder if I havent been having nightmares enough to get help, or havent had them long enough. I think theres a rule, where you have to have them for so long. And I even wonder if there is treatment at all. And for anybody who has/had nightmares and GOT treated, is treatment worth it? I really dont want to get on another medication, and going to therapy just for such seems worthless.

I've had intense, vivid, sometimes terrible, dreams every night since starting vyvanse. My dreams are so vivid and real, I often wake up covered in sweat and can't go back to sleep.

I need to ask my pdoc about it, but I don't think there's much that can be done in my case. I have trazadone to take for when I can't sleep, but that doesn't stop the vivid dreams.

Actually, Lamictal gave me (more) vivid dreams as I titrated up, too, but stopped when I found a therapeutic dose. I had to go up on it, and the dreams weren't as intensive for the later rises. I think the very first time I started up on it, more of the dreams were nightmares, but that is no longer the case.

That is a small dose of Lamictal, are you titrating it? How long have you been on it?

I have pretty vivid dreams anyway. I was told growing up that people with migraine often have this trait, but I bet that it is true of a lot of neurological and mental illnesses.

Alcohol is disruptive to sleep. If you are drinking a lot, it gets cumulatively worse over time. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the drinking. But I don't know for sure that is what it is, I'm not a pdoc. That would just be my guess.

If you are having trouble stopping drinking, be sure to mention that to your pdoc. S/he can get you help, and s/he needs to know that so she can look out for drug interactions.

There are many other meds out there that csn get your brain to slow down long enough for you to sleep. I know, because I have the exact same problem.

Over the years, I've taken seroquel, ambien, sonata, benzos, some other stuff I can't remember now, and what I currently take, trazodone. It helps relax my mind and make me sleepy enough so the thoughts can't take hold.

Alcohol is proven to disrupt your sleep cycle, and actually leaves you less rested than if you would stay awake and not drank anything.

You need to take to your pdoc about this issue you are having. Trust me, something besides alcohol can be an effective solution for this problem.

I know it hasn't been proved effective in clinical trials, but I used the Emotional Freedom Technique for nightmares, with a fair bit of success. There are some great free resources online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived