CrazyBoards.org

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, the guy is an idiot

also why would i want to just be functional and forget trying to find some relative cure for my illness, seriously he thinks its fine as long as i can get out of bed, shower and go to work whilst depressed? if i was depressed i would still feel like shit and still be in pain wanting to kill myself i wouldnt give a fuck if i was able to 'function'

sorry for trying to find a way to a happy, stable and content life as opposed to just one that isnt an inconvenience to society

Guest Vapourware

Articles like these are fallacious because they assume that mental illness is something driven by choice. Like, deep down, a person chooses to be manic, and therefore they can control the extent of their mania. Which is absolute bullshit, hence why these articles are not worth reading.

While I believe that people in depressions and manias can be held accountable to some of their behaviors (I totalled a car when manic; I took responsibility for it even though I was fucknuts crazy trying to get to the pdoc's office when it happened) I strongly disagree with the author's belief that we can somehow harness "the power" in a mood episode. There is no power to be had. Even in hypomania, if you left if untreated, it turns ugly, really ugly, eventually. Also, I think the author's suggestion that bipolar is a behavioral illness is bullshit. It's just another person saying that just because you can't see or test for an illness, it doesn't exist.

If you applied the author's POV, you could say that people who have mental illnesses could just suck it up and learn to deal with the shitty hand life has given them, never seek medical care, and get through life using the inadequate life skills they have.

The fact that the author also disputes the fact that bipolar is a disabling condition says he's never really known anyone with BP, probably except for those urband myth sites that say Albert Einstein (or whoever the fuck) was a genius, but BP. And if he csn do it, everyone can.

This article basically says that if you have a mental illness, you are not entitled to the same medication therapy as people with physical illnesses do. Why is this discrimination still allowed and so popular in today's society? I mean, we don't stop people in pain from getting pain meds, we don't stop people with cancer from getting chemo, so why should we think therapy alone will heal a science-based problem in thought processing?

This is just another misguided person who thinks he knows MI and writes about it as though his opinions matter more than every trained psychiatrist and mental health professional out there. I mean, where is the medical training listed in the author's credentials?

I thought not.

Oh, my. I'm glad you brought this up. Forgive me for rambling.

He's got a staff, including a former resident from the Menninger Clinic and a bunch of CBT therapists. He is selling something that looks to me like a grandiose CBT. I think of Menninger as a place for the rich (unfair, probably, but they do have a residential program for doctors and lawyers), to whom this "best self" focus might have extra appeal.

It would be good to shoot for more than "waiting for relapse," and in general, our current tools aren't everything we'd like. I have lost a lot. But here's what the guy says about his own system (with reference to meds, from his comment to "Where is the Line Between Hypomania and Out of Control?" Psychology Today blog, 4/12/12):

Bipolar IN Order means that we can function at a very high level in all intensities of both mania and depression. Kay Redfield Jamison, by her own admission, cannot. Her insights have little relevance for those of us who can.

Well, if she's not "function[ing] at a very high level," sign me up.

Here's where I think his approach might have some relevance. I think there are people who get labelled bipolar, some by their own diagnosis, some incorrectly, and they just get stuck. I saw someone do this once, at enormous cost. He got the wrong meds and no therapy and he gave up. A little chauvinism plus CBT would have helped. (So would taking his meds every d*mn day they were prescribed. But I digress.)

Even so, the whole thing makes me want to take a shower. Sweeping psychosis under the rug is not responsible. Saying that people aren't taking responsibility for their moods and their behavior presumes a lot.

Wow, the Menninger Clinic used to be considered fairly reputable.

Squirlylgrl, do you mean "resident" as in a Dr's residency, or as in a former in-patient? I'm guessing Dr., but just checking, because if it is a patient, I would be less pissed than if it is a Dr.

Considering this article I wonder how he treats his patients. Does he take this attitude with them too?

Tom Wooten isn't a dr. He's been dx with bipolar and writes about the advantages of bp and depression.

Considering this article I wonder how he treats his patients. Does he take this attitude with them too?

Tom Wooten isn't a dr. He's been dx with bipolar and writes about the advantages of bp and depression.

Wow, the Menninger Clinic used to be considered fairly reputable.

Squirlylgrl, do you mean "resident" as in a Dr's residency, or as in a former in-patient? I'm guessing Dr., but just checking, because if it is a patient, I would be less pissed than if it is a Dr.

Nope, he says chief resident, bipolaradvantage.com/aboutus. I can't/won't verify.

This is what I was referring to.

The last time I checked on Meninger Clinic things had changed significantly. They no longer do general psychiatry work. It had turned into a boutique drug/alcohol rehab for high rollers. Follow the money, I guess. That was several years ago as I recall.

Edited by AirMarshall

I meant to respond to this a while back... anyway.

Drives me up the wall when I encounter others who claim that the mentally ill can bootstrap and THINK ourselves out of neurobiological illnesses. Especially so when such claims are made from a supposedly 'medical' point of view.

I had a person the other day pulling this on me. Apparently, I should be able to harness my mighty willpower and think my way free. Also, vitamin supplements. And something about psychedelic drugs. I was tuning out by that point.

I grew up with anti-med 'parents,' did therapy-only off-and-on for years, did supplements and fish oil and healthy eating and cleanses. Tried to do so much on my own, I apparently developed great insight, my docs point this out to me often. Tried to harness moods for housecleaning and art. Self medicated for many years.

I'm lucky I can work. I was very, very bad at it for a long time. I still have my current job thanks to meds, doctors, therapy, and short term disability leave. Every other time my moods swung like that, my life just fell apart. I've been homeless, more than once, because I couldn't handle trying and trying and trying on my own.

I'm glad this thread was posted. On the off-chance anyone Googles that article's name, chances are they'll find this ahole thread of a rebuttal too.

I don't think that the people discussing the article on this thread are going to buy his book. And I don't think that anyone who uses CBs is going to buy an anti-meds book, because they wouldn't be on here if they didn't buy into medicating mental illness. Even if it does boost sales (which I am almost positive it will not), that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it.

I must agree. Just because we here are discussing his article there does not mean that we are any more likely to buy his book, especially with a premise that specifically conflicts with a fundamental underlying position of this forum, which people would not be using if they disagreed with it. There is no need to hold the view that we must ignore his article altogether lest we somehow automatically make people buy his book.

God, I hope my tdoc never reads his bullshit. I've been in a severely depressed state for like 4 months now after my first manic epsiode, and I'm desperately hoping to find some medication combination that will get me out of this hell. She is big on CBT and she doesn't really take my depression seriously. I haven't been able to explain to her in a way she understands that eating right will not stop me from literally bursting into inconsolable tears several times a day. Her last suggestion was that maybe I have an allergy to wheat gluten. I dread my appointments with her so much, but the county clinic requires that I see her in order to see the actual dr for medication. I wish to God I could will this away, there is no power here and it shouldn't be glamorized. All of my functioning is focused on just trying to stay out of the hospital. When I was in the middle of my manic episode, I was hallucinating and delusional and didn't even have the self awareness to "try" not to. This guy has clearly never experienced anything like that.