Why are people so AWESOME here?

adianoeta

So my little rant yesterday got quite a bit of attention, so I wanted to turn over a new leaf. I love this forum and I post several times a day because it is sooo therapeutic woo-saaah...

I am focusing on the positive today, and the majority of people on CB are very gracious and helpful. I also apologize profusely for associating mean people with personality disorders. It was a very ignorant statement to make and I stand corrected!

So THANK YOU, all of you for being real and being the best person you can be. :)

I stayed away from the rant thread but will respond to this. There will be jerks and the occasional fucktard around these boards. I've never employed the ignore function but I'm pretty thick-skinned and shrug off a lot of crap if it is misdirected. At any rate, I admire your willingness to put on the Big Girl panties and mow down a heaping slice of humble pie. (I'm pretty sure Olga has some awesome food pr0n pix of this, maybe some recipes to boot).

And don't forget that your user name just begs of misinterpretaton.....

Sometimes my mood affects how I perceive people. If I think the world is dangerous, I seem to attract or notice the bad things. If I think most people have good intentions I don't read things into what they are saying. My husband always takes things at face value whereas I sometimes try to read between the lines and he seems to be more content.

I like this site because people aren't afraid to say what they mean. I worry a lot that something I say might be misconstrued. It's hard for me to read tone in text.

But, I've been to other sites that are more touchy-feely or moderated heavily and i've met nice people there, too. And, I meet nice people irl.

I like it here. I come and go, though. If I get focused on something else, I'm not here as much. One thing I like is that there are a lot of educated people here that can answer questions but they aren't arrogant. I've come across some "intellectuals" on line that I can't understand. And, I like the humor.

This seems like a really passive aggressive way to restart yesterday's discussion. Applauding the majority only points out that you think there is an ungracious and unhelpful minority again.

How is this thread going to lead to anything but more of a discussion of the same things said yesterday? You're just putting the same debate into play again today. And look at the responses!

Deal with the people you are upset with directly, put them on ignore, or post your "goodbye cruel boards" thread and be done with it.

So my little rant yesterday got quite a bit of attention, so I wanted to turn over a new leaf. I love this forum and I post several times a day because it is sooo therapeutic woo-saaah...

I am focusing on the positive today, and the majority of people on CB are very gracious and helpful. I also apologize profusely for associating mean people with personality disorders. It was a very ignorant statement to make and I stand corrected!

So THANK YOU, all of you for being real and being the best person you can be.

Aw gee, thank you for the complement. I'm sure you all feel honored by my presence! :)

kirk-inspirational-awesome.jpg

This seems like a really passive aggressive way to restart yesterday's discussion. Applauding the majority only points out that you think there is an ungracious and unhelpful minority again.

How is this thread going to lead to anything but more of a discussion of the same things said yesterday? You're just putting the same debate into play again today. And look at the responses!

Deal with the people you are upset with directly, put them on ignore, or post your "goodbye cruel boards" thread and be done with it.

Come on, smile! This is a positive post!

I had such a great day today! I got my teeth cleaned, got a massage, had a great therapy session, and then went to my belly dancing class. It's harder than it looks!

Why am I talking about my day?

Because this is my post and I want to spread this infectious happiness around CB!!

So that's it. No hidden agendas, no bullshit, no drama. Just I had a great day, and I hope everyone else did too.

See? CB is clearly awesome! I'm sure someone will find some reason to attack me because I shared my day. But I am sooo happy I just don't care!

I'm glad you're having a good day as well. It's vital not only to enjoy them for what they are, but to turn them into positive memories that can sustain you when you have bad days - days when your mind tries to tell you things can never be good again - and you can turn around and say, "Oh, yes they can - remember that really good day?"

It's also good to share the positives when we have them so that our fellow sufferers here can see that we can turn it around.

Speaking of which, for all of you sniping about passive-aggressivity, what part of "I apologize" offends you? Don't bother answering. I grow weary of these little cocktail parties where everyone stands around with chips on their shoulders and takes turns flicking them off. If we can't allow each other the grace to back down, apologize, self-reflect, learn, grow, be a bit socially imperfect because we're all under jUst a LiTTle pRessUre froM Being CRAZY here - what's the point of a support group?

Cerberus

I think one of the best things about CB (and I was on CB before it was even this version of CB) is the fact that I get honest and factual responses to what I write. A lot of times, what I write and how I feel is skewed by my mental illness. Simply having someone give me cyber-reassurance that everything will be ok doesn't do shit for me. It simply allows me to continue to live in the screwed up version of my life.

Only those posts that are matter of fact, sometimes blunt, and blatantly honest give me the advice I'm looking for. They are the posts that hold the mirror up to my face and allow me to say, "Yes, I am thinking like an idiot. This needs to change ASAP. "

I would never be as far as I am today without those posts. They have allowed me to become more responsible for my mental health, an advocate for my treatment options, an informed patient, and to (most importantly) know when to get professional help when I refused to acknowledge I needed it. I'm stable now, and the thousands of posts I've written and received on CB over the past 7 years have had a huge role in allowing me to obtain and maintain that.

In the 7+ years I've been here, I was only misunderstood by one person, in a negative way, once, When i asked for advice. That's it. I think that this is a pretty good track record for all the people I've seen come and go here. And it didn't break out into a name-calling cat fight (even though the person thought I was trying to scam the government, which hurt deeply). Others on the board calmly responded what their interpretation of what I wrote was. I realized that I had worded the situation and my fears the wrong way. I re-worded my concerns, more people posted what they thought, and it turned into a positive situation. I didn't talk to the person via PM, though I should have (and would do if it happened today). That probably would have worked out the hurt and misunderstood feelings I had regarding the situation, and allowed me to feel better.

I can't go to any other site, because I can't get the same quality of information and support that I get here.

I apologize for the snippy post yesterday. I saw this thread already going sideways and felt that the wording of your post was somewhat disingenuous. I admin three forums, one with 20,000+ members, and we often see closed threads drag over into new threads to continue the debate. If that was not your intent, conscious or otherwise, I am sorry.

One of the other things I've learned over the years is that, when I feel attacked or misunderstood, it is so much better on the original thread to ask the other poster for clarification than to attack back. It's okay to disagree, but it is often helpful, in the flat universe of words posted on a forum, to say "I hear you saying xyz. Is that what you mean? Here are my issues with that."

I do think you need to value the good days, even journal them so you can point back to them on the days when it seems like there will never be another good day.

My two cents...

A lot of people here are informed consumers. I can get honest replies here, even when I don't agree with all the viewpoints, it always gives me something to think about. When I am having a hard time, it is easier to accept the advice of other people with MI, because many have been in similiar situations and have valuable experiences to share.

I apologize for the snippy post yesterday. I saw this thread already going sideways and felt that the wording of your post was somewhat disingenuous. I admin three forums, one with 20,000+ members, and we often see closed threads drag over into new threads to continue the debate. If that was not your intent, conscious or otherwise, I am sorry.

Thanks, Antigone. I appreciate you explaining where you are coming from with that. I actually asked that the previous post be closed, and my intent for this post is to show others that I see the glass half full. I don't know what you found disingenuous about my wording, but that's okay. That's the thing about forums-- things can easily be misinterpreted. I am a very wise woman for my years, and I feel I speak succinctly and openly-- even if I can be emotional at times. Honestly, I felt silly for having focused on the 'negative' minority and I have shifted my focus to the 'positive' majority. I am atoning, in a way.

Archived