I feel and see everything as dark and gloomy. Best way to describe it is like that feeling that my surroundings are similar to those in prison and that feeling I am in prison when IM clearly NOT. Im rarely happy coz of it. I dont enjoy anything.

Does it sound like a symptom of schizophrenia?

Guest Vapourware

Do you mean your symptoms make you feel like you live in a prison? Or do you mean your surroundings literally remind you of a prison? I'm a little confused. I've felt the former, like my symptoms were making their prisoner, but I've never felt that I was literally living in a prison. I just felt like my symptoms had taken over me and I was at their mercy.

Do you mean your symptoms make you feel like you live in a prison? Or do you mean your surroundings literally remind you of a prison? I'm a little confused. I've felt the former, like my symptoms were making their prisoner, but I've never felt that I was literally living in a prison. I just felt like my symptoms had taken over me and I was at their mercy.

I feel my surroundings are literally like a prison no matter where I am. Since schizophrenia is a perceptional disturbance I thought this symptom is psychotic?

As if my surroundings are 'threatening', 'akward', 'uncomfortable'

I don't know if it sounds like a symptom of schizophrenia, but I feel like I am a prisoner 95% of the time. Heck, being asked if I took my meds, being surrounded by walls all the time, society attempting to tell us what to do, even though I don't follow what they want, the government all over us. Life itself is a prison. The other time, my mind itself is a prison. To me, the surroundings are a threat a lot of the time, especially since people are brainwashed. Maybe what you are feeling it is part of feeling depressed, I don't know. Whatever this is, you should talk to your pdoc about it. He/she can help you out and help you to feel better.

Edited by CynicalReality

I don't know if it sounds like a symptom of schizophrenia, but I feel like I am a prisoner 95% of the time.

i feel as though crippling anxiety has me imprisoned most of the time, so i can relate to the prison metaphor. but as vape pointed out, if you feel the prison isn't symbolic of the symptoms of what reads to be depression, but are rather features of a more grand perceptual disturbance, then discuss with your doctor. i mean, discuss with your doctor either way, as you may also be suffering from a depressive episode in addition to whatever disorder you are being treated for; after reading through some of your posts, it seems as though you're on an antipsychotic, but as they're given out like candy to treat a plethora of mental health disorders, it's hard to pinpoint your diagnoses and we arent physicians. talk to your doc! best of luck, waypills!

My feelings of being in prison are more like the metaphor. It is something I get quite a lot, going right back to childhood (my parents are jerks).

But I remember believing that the hospital was a prison when I was in there. I would regularly refer to it as the prison. I would say now looking back that this was probably a combination of the metaphor (it was mostly because of how badly I was treated by the staff, as in absolutely no respect) and paranoia. I didn't see anything to suggest prison (such as there was no bars on the windows), but I thought this was part of how they were lying to me.

• 1 year later...

I know exactly what you mean!! I was talking to my mom and told her I felt like I was in prison...especially in my mind...like everywhere I go and everything I do is pointless and devoid of meaning.  Nothing is fun anymore and I know its the meds which is why I got off of them.  I still have to wait 2-6 more months for it to get out of my system so I will see what happens and if I can go back to normal.