Intrusive words, etc. (changed title)

I get the occasional word that pops into my head out of nowhere, and it doesn't go away until I break it down by country of origin, meaning, etc. It's like I'll be sitting there and suddenly it's like (and I'm pulling this out of my ass) "Nativity. Hmm, I don't know what language that is derived from... Means to be native, from one's own country. Well why is the jesus story with the barn and all called a nativity set?" Blah blah blah until I guess I decide that it's either broken down enough or I can't figure it out. Before it pops into my head sometimes I am thinking about something related but sometimes not. I'm not anxious about having to word play in my head, it's just odd and I can't seem to stop myself from thinking about it when it happens. But I don't think someone put it there, just my brain being wonky.

This sounds like a mind-pop to me. Here's an article on mind-pop's and how they could be related to hallucinations. http://www.scientifi...fm?id=mind-pops

"mind-pops"—fragments of knowledge, such as words, images or melodies that drop suddenly and unexpectedly into conciousness.

I think thought insertion is more when another person is thinking through your brain. Like, when I've experienced thought insertion, I feel as though someone else's thoughts are in my head or that someone else has deliberately put a thought into my head. It makes me feel paranoid that someone else is using my brain or putting thoughts in my head to try to tell me something. I don't always know where the thought is coming from, but I usually think of an explanation (most often delusional).

That is cool about the mind-pop thing. That also explains why a few lines of a song will continually play in my head.

I also hate it when a few lines of a song play in my head over and over relentlessly. I just go along with it hoping everything will just go away; eventually it does, but in the meantime it drives me nuts.

I also get the songs playing in my head out of no where. Recently I've been hearing the jingle from the juicy fruit commercials, "Juicy fruit, the taste the taste the taste is gonna move ya!" LOL

The worst for me is when a word repeats in slow motion in my head. Say, "Challenge" and it will repeat like "Chaaaaaaaa" and never finish the word. It's so annoying and it'll be all I can think of until I force my brain to finish saying the word. Does this happen to anyone else? I don't know if it's a psychotic thing or just an annoying brain thing, like the mind-pops.

I get the exact same thing!!! I get random German words in my head sometimes that replay over and over, they just come back to me from when I used to do German in school. I also get nonsense phrases in my head and have to do research into them to check that they're not real words but they just repeat over and over until I mentally break them down into individual letters. I always picture the words in big colourful block capitals too...strange...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, this morning as I was waking up I kept having an intrusive word popping into my head... Benicio del Toro. Weird??? I don't know what he looks like, not sure I have seen movies with him starring.

I find this similar to the echos that Melissaw posted about. I had the words "and away" playing repeatedly in my head, I don't know why. It's odd and kind of funny that your mind got stuck on Benicio Del Toro, how random is that? :P It's frustrating because I have to actually scream or scream inside my head to get these thoughts to be quiet.

Archived