Finding ways to physically relieve tension and anxiety w/out self harming urges.

I cannot take anxiety meds (addiction history) and I feel like I'm going to bust out and go crazy. SI helps me feel more in control and releases tension. I just was diagnosed w Bpd and was directed to begin a dbt program. I really need help to release this tension in my head and tightness in my chest w out using drugs or alcohol or SI. I feel that I can control my fears and slow down my thoughts by SI.

I don't want to continue living like this. Can't keep going in/out of hospital and feeling like I need to hurt worse in order to feel better.

Can you exercise at all? I don't know if it helps with SI, but I know that a vigorous walk or a workout can be very good for anxiety. I hope some of our other members have good suggestions for you.

olga

I don't feel like trying any of these *silly* things believing they won't work? My dbt therapist says to try some these things. I already committed myself to 3 mos of dbt therapy. I promised to try some new things. A lot of these things I don't want ppl to look at me funny when I do them. I'm more a private person. It seems silly to do these things. But I need and want help so.. Maybe I'll try tearing today's junkmail w more of a vengeance..! I'll let u know how it goes.

I think it takes a certain amount of willingness to suspend judgment about whether or not something will help if we perceive it to be "silly".

It might be silly... but it might also help. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I know what you mean about feeling silly when trying alternatives, that's pretty much how I feel/felt about it. I've been without SI for maybe three or so months now and while I was in a residential place for about two of those months so it was less likely I'd be able to SI and get away with it, the rest has been all on me...feel kind of proud about it, really.

These are some of the things I've found to work (most of the time) for me, maybe they will help you.

Talking to someone; could be here at CB, though when really tempted I like to use http://www.crisischat.org/ which is a website where you can be anonymous and talk about any issue you are having (including SI, suicidal thoughts etc.) and someone will listen to you, let you get it all out. I don't like to talk to people IRL (like parents) so I find internet anonymity to be really helpful.

I also do the "five minute game" where you promise yourself for five minutes you will NOT SI and then you will re-evaluate how you feel after those five minutes. Then after you make it five minutes, you do another five, and another, and so on until the urge passes. It doesn't always work but it can help prolong it, give you more time to really consider other options.

Distraction, doing mindless activities or ones that require a lot of concentration. I like computer/internet games for this purpose. Word searches and coloring are fun, too.

I discovered this the other day myself, but I agree with screaming in the car. It was pretty amazing how much anger I could dispel by just screaming where no one would hear me.

Those are the things I do, may not work for you but you can always try. If they don't work, okay, but at least you would have tried and then you can go on to find something that will actually work. It's really fucking hard, I know, but you are worth it.

my pdoc asked me yesterday what i've been doing when i feel urges to SI. when i told him that lately i've been going outside and watering the garden or, especially, pulling weeds, he had the biggest smile on his face that made me feel like i've accomplished something good.

gardening has meaning in it for me. helping things grow feels good, even though i have anything but a green thumb.

other methods i have are all pretty much distracting myself as well: watch a movie, read, take my body and/or mind elsewhere. the movie thing started to feel like an addiction, as did spending too many hours in front of my computer.

i find the best things for me involve going outside, away from my sharps. i walk, walk the dog, ride my bike, go to the store for something i need. also, i second the five minute game that humanoid suggested.

one thing i haven't tried that my pdoc told me about was filling a bowl with ice water and putting a hand in it for as long as you can possibly stand. it's fucking painful and you get the same endorphin rush that makes SI so satisfying, but without leaving scars to feel shitty and guilty about later.

good luck resisting, i hope you do give at least some of the things that have been suggested a try or two. good luck!

h

Something happened today to stress me out and I did rip the junkmail trying to take my anger out. It didn't help how I was feeling though. I feel very helpless about the stressor I am experiencing. I can't SI right now because my daughter is w me. I guess thats a good thing but now I am even angrier and on edge that I cannot SI.

I feel better now, I got the stressor all worked out. I don't know what I would have done had it not worked out. Today I recieved bank notice I was overdrawn. However it was the banks error and they did fix it. I was freaking out!

I accidentally posted in the wrong place..please view my post on panic board under suicidal ideation and self harm. It tells a little more about my habits and I need some advice or even just support. Am a bit worried I posted in wrong section for fear of offending. Thanks in advance.

Archived