Vegan Eating

Likeabowlof0ranges

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody here is vegan or even vegetarian. I am for all intents and purposes vegan, I feel awkward saying this because I'm intolerant to eggs and milk. I suspect if I weren't I wouldn't eat them anyway. I don't eat honey, wear leather,silk, gelatine, by products such as whey etc. But that's another thread all together! I'd prefer if this didn't evolve into an ethical argument. I just want to know what your favourite foods are, bonus points if they are especially healthy or calorie dense!

thanks

I've been vegan since 2006. I like mushroom soup, pizza, lasagna, etc, just vegan versions of "regular" foods. In the summer I like salads with tofu or nuts and things like that, just combining whatever I have in the fridge. Sometimes that works better than other times ;)

What are your favourite foods?

I'm vegetarian, have been my entire life. I was vegan for a few years but I have a very difficult time getting enough protein even as a vegetarian so I switched back.

One of my favorite meals is veggie stir fry with caramelized tofu. Usually I include onions, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, broccoli, red pepper, peas, and sprouts. The tofu brick I slice through the middle to make two slabs then cut up into 24 chunks total. Then fry it in a bit of peanut oil until it is golden then coat with a mixture of 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 4 tablespoons light brown sugar and cook until syrupy and sticky, then make the veggies, combine with tofu, serve over rice. So good.

I tend to make a lot of meals that can be veggie or carnivore friendly with not too many modifications as my husband is firmly not vegetarian, though I've finally made him a brussel sprout convert. I also try very hard to steer clear of processed foods when possible. It's healthier and I just enjoy the process of making things.

I tend to keep close track of my average diet for a couple of weeks each year just to be aware of any deficiencies. I consistently have problems getting enough potassium so I try to keep dried apricots around to snack on. I think doing this is really helpful when you've a somewhat limited diet that can be exacerbated, at least for me, by periods of depression where I'll subsist on rice.

Sounds yum. I like pasta dishes a lot. Tonight I made tomatoe, basil and cashew nut pesto pasta, sounds strange but it's so good. I like stir frys, burritos, clear type soups. But today I also made a oreo chocolate cake, naughty! ha.

I'm also particularly fond of cheeseless pizza, or soy cream cheese pizzas.

I'm primarily vegetarian and was completely vegetarian (though not vegan) for 12 years. One of my favorite foods is just tofu, dry fried until browned to get all the water out, and then marinated in Tamari, peanut butter, a little habanero, fresh ginger and garlic. It's delicious.

My best friend is vegan, and I have tried to like it. I mean I love some dishes, but she is always handing me baked goods saying, "You can't even tell it is vegan!" And I am thinking, "No, you can definitely tell it is vegan."

However, if you ever come to San Francisco, and want to try vegan haute cuisine, try Millennium. It is a splurge, no question, but the food is sooooo good.

I aspire to vegetarianism, but don't have the energy. But I would definitely be lacto-ovo. My main concern is from an environmental standpoint, since cattle is just wasteful of resources, and destructive, and nutritionally it has issues as well. I like beef, but I could skip it if I needed to. I only eat grass fed. But I would definitely continue to eat eggs and honey.

Is anyone a pescatarian?

When I lived on the East Coast and had ready access to fish (and other sea creatures), but it is simply to difficult a diet to follow living in the High Mountain Desert.

I have over the past years followed may cultural dietary regimes. From my personal POV, the so-called Mediterranean diet is the best for my lifestyle, physical ailments, and mental cooties.

I eat what I grow or raise with a few exceptions where I indulge in foods, such as sausage, grown and prepared by trusted providers.

Now, have I gone as far off topic as possible??

The house is vegan (if you exclude that SO loves his cheeses), but I really don't like being "that person" at social events so I'll eat fish or even sometimes chicken if I have to.

I'm vegetarian.

I love salads. I like to put seeds or nuts, or even beans or cheese, for the protein. I also like that salads (well the ones I have anyway) are low carb. I will sometimes put a small amount of couscous in for another flavour, but mostly not. Most evenings I like to have a salad (and it is quick to prepare). If the weather is cold then I'll have some mixed veg, maybe with lentils or something along those lines or possibly Quorn. I do like to have this with couscous, but I do try not to overdo that and not have it every day either.

During the day I am a little more naughty. But I love jacket potatoes (I'd have them more if they didn't have carbs in). My favourite filling is cheese and beans, and I always put some salad on the side. I will also have sandwiches sometimes, but always brown bread. My favourite sandwich filling is cheese and some sort of veg (tomato, onion, salad, anything goes). And sometimes I will treat myself to a cooked breakfast of egg, beans, tomato, mushrooms.

This diet has probably contributed to me not gaining weight on my meds as well.

I am not a vegetarian strictly, but I almost never cook meat at home.

Gardein brand makes a really delicious product, "mandarin orange crispy chick'n" It is seriously better than real chicken. We eat it all the time.

We sometimes buy the gardein brand veggie beef tips, and put them in the oven with carrots, potatoes, and green beans (sort of like pot roast) ... we sort of steam everything in the oven with a little water in the pan and tin foil over it to trap the steam.

I also enjoy making vegetarian chilli with veggie beef crumbles, garlic, onion, sometimes corn, chilli powder, and sriracha sauce.

Another favorite that I've recommended already is thai curry with coconut milk. You can buy the type of curry paste you like. I think red curry paste is most common. You can put whatever veggies in it you like (usually peppers, onion, maybe potatoes, sugar snap peas or green beans, etc.), and tofu. I also spice that up with the sriracha rooster sauce. I sometimes dillute the coconut milk with almond milk, and you would hardly notice the difference. Coconut milk can have a lot of saturated fat, I think, but I love it.

Okay, I was thinking about it some more, and a food that I LOVE to eat but don't because of the calories is fried eggplant. I fry it in canola oil with corn flour. I also like to fry green tomatoes, and eat the leftovers on a sandwich. If you want to fry other things, while you're at it, you can fry any vegetable, or tofu. I usually dip stuff in an egg or milk to make the corn meal stick, but I would imagine you could use soy or almond milk instead if you want it to be vegan. I think that is pretty calorie dense and is yummy!

I really love tofu, when other people prepare it. I don't know how to do it properly myself (the shame) any tips? I've tried to buy the prepackaged kind but I still manage to either burn it, or leave it too squishy (much to my boyfriends dismay) ha. Australia is lame and we only have quorn (egg whites) and frys on the sometimes maybe spectrum. I love salads and sandwiches. Also toffuti soy cream cheese, on everything. Tomatoes are my favourite, sometimes I just fry them and eat them as is.

I've not been a vegetarian for years but one thing I remember about tofu is that it's best if you freeze it then thaw it and squeeze the water out before cooking it if you're going to use it plain. I used to marinade it in lime and herbs and grill it.

I'm not a vegan/vegetarian, but one of my oldest, dearest friend is. She frequently sends me recipes for vegetarian foods. She prefers things like veggie salads, things with tofu, quinoa, and Seitan. She really lives Mexican and Thai food.

She once sent me an amazing recipe for a marinated chickpea salad and one for vegetarian Mexican stuffed chiles.

Archived