Hello all!

So my hormones make me insane, I feel like once a month there is about a week where I reevaluate my entire life and being and it really fucks with, well, everything. As I understand, there are many of you here that suffer from this! I have found something that help tremendously, and that's progesterone. It is the only thing that seems to work at keeping me sane.

I would really like to try out the Mirena, since it's progesterone only and I have a hard time remembering to take my pill, which is bad for my moods and the whole birth control thing. I'm starting to get better, but it sure would be convenient. I'm worried though, because I had an awful experience with a copper IUD and I've read some bad things scattered about online.

That being said- I imagine more upset people are writing things online than the happy customers. Everything I'm reading- (Weight gain, extreme acne, awful mood swings) sounds to me like hormonal reactions, and I have been on progesterone problem free for six months now. Doctors have told me the mirena is great, but doctors also told me that the intense radiating pain in my pelvis was not caused by my copper IUD, and that 13 day periods were, you know, normal. With the copper I had really bad cramps, pretty much all the time, I felt sickly, and had insanely long periods. It makes me nervous, but if I can just have something inserted that will regulate my shit for me AND keep me baby free, it would be like a dream.

Have any of you tried both, or have had good experiences with Mirena? Or have you ever been on progesterone and been fine, and then had a poor reaction to Mirena?

Thank you thank you!

I had mirena in for 6 months. I bled for all 6 months and had worsened mood swings and confusion, I was having problems functioning at work. It didn't completely go away after I had it removed due to my MI but my symptoms were amplified so much worse with it in. My doctor told me it prob didn't have anything to do with it, but it clearly says in the info sheet that you should avoid it if you have a history of depression.

But if you are okay on progesterone then might be okay with the iud. I took progesterone and had mixed episodes. Birth control was bad too. I had my tubes tied a few years ago, thank god.

I have not used the copper IUD, but I had a Mirena in for 8 years (five years for one, three for the next- they only last five years).

The bad first-- I have some pretty intense hormonal shit go down for about six months with each insertion. The first time, I didn't notice it as much because I was getting divorced, going through suicidal psychotic depressive episodes, and using hard drugs. The second time, I was much more stable, and it was very noticeable. Pretty severe PMS, anger, irritability, depression. It was bad enough that I did consider taking the Mirena out, but my doc told me that the hormonal stuff would probably taper off after about six months. He was right, it did! I ended up taking it out because I am single and choosing to not have sex, and I wanted to have my periods again (I am one of those ladies that really enjoys the bleeding time).

The good-- IT IS FUCKING AWESOME. Except for those initial months, my hormonal mood swings leveled out a lot. In eight years, I had something like less than a dozen periods, and those were just barely spotting brown fluid. I hardly ever had cramping, though twice I had some severe cramping after sex, but I don't know if that is to do with the Mirena or not. The chance of getting pregnant is basically 0 with the Mirena, though part of the way it works is to prevent a fertilized egg from implanting if the sperm manage to get to the egg. That is a concern for some people. It wasn't for me because I knew the chance of an egg getting fertilized is so low. I don't think I ever had any acne or weight gain (hard to say, since I take so many meds that cause both of those).

It's really the best birth control I've ever used. As I said, I wanted to have my periods back, otherwise I would still have the Mirena in, even though I don't need birth control...

I had Mirena for a while, but I kept bleeding and went crazy because of the hormones. I can't take hormonal birth control.

I had a plastic and copper IUD called Nova (in Canada) and my periods were hell. Long, cramps, heavy bleeding.

I had a hell of a time with the mirena. It made me completely insane

I now have a paraguard. it sucked for the first few months for way heavy periods, but now all is back to its usual, and it's perfect for me. these last ten years too which is nice

I've had a mirena for over three years. The initial six months I had very light periods about 45 days apart, and then I doubled my risperdal. The combination of the mirena and the prolactin stopped my periods entirely since April 2010.

I like the mirena, the one exception is what my OB/GYN did, not with the device itself. He cut the strings too short on insertion, so I can't check them, and he has to use a swab on exams to see the strings to make sure it's still there. That bugs me.

But I haven't had any mood swings, horrid bleeding, or any problems on it at all. I really like it. I'd never get a copper IUD because my periods used to be super heavy and I don't want anything that might encourage that for any length of time.

Archived