Any experience with Buspar? HELP

I have a ton of horrible anxiety with some depression thrown in. I am on 20 mg of Lexapro and it isn't helping a whole lot. Should I ask for Buspar to take for my anxiety? Can you take Lexapro and Buspar togther? I also take a prescription sleeping pill. Temazapam? (something like that but it's not Trazadone). I see my doctor this week but I wanted to hear persoanl experiences. Thanks!

Lexapro with Buspar can cause serotonin syndrome. There are so many possible treatments, I couldn't really pick one out and say "This is what you should try," everyone is different. I take xanax for anxiety, but many pdocs don't like using benzos as a daily med.

I'm still relatively new so this is all my amateur 2 cents worth. I was dealing (not well) with daily anxiety over some really crappy relationship stuff and having WAY too much time alone to think about it. I tried Celexa (Sexual side effects were bad for me) and switched to Welbutrin and Buspar. I also take Valium PRN (As needed - and suggested that I "need" it as little as I can. It seems like the anxiety issues dialed down a lot with Buspar and my need to slam valiums went down to a low level. I think daily Benzos probably aren't a good idea (Based on my observations of a friend pre and post daily Xanax.

Anyway I'm NOT an expert on any of this.

I was on both Lex and Buspar. I didn't find that the Buspar did anything useful for my anxiety. That's just my experience though, and I have heard from some people who found it alleviated their anxiety beautifully.

Luvox is good for anxiety, I've found. It has a really short half life, though. It's chemically similar to prozac.

My pdoc wouldn't even prescribe me Buspar because he thinks its "like eating a spoonful of sugar". From what I've heard, it doesn't act immediately like a benzo, it takes a while to build up in your system, two weeks or so.

Here's the interaction from drugs.com:

MONITOR CLOSELY: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, 5-HT1 receptor agonists, ergot alkaloids, lithium, St. John's wort, phenylpiperidine opioids, dextromethorphan, and tryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome

I just quit buspiron after 15 days of taking 10mg/ day. Getting stronger every day for those past two weeks I got dizziness within 30 minutes of taking the pill, and also started to get more nervous and anxious than before the pill. I took it in the morning, and my mood only stabilized even a bit about after 6pm. I also had some sleeping problems. All this got worse with time. So for me the med seemed to work just the opposite than what it´s supposed to? I´ve also had a couple days´ worth of withdrawal symptoms: nervousness, heart racing, anxiety. Yesterday (day 2 off the med) was pretty fucking bad, in fact.

Still, I´ve also read that it works well for some people,so maybe still give it a try. I just hate having high hopes on meds, and then they do this kind of stuff to your mind...

Force with you.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Buspar. I haven't had side effects from it and it's cheap as a generic. It did NOT get rid of my anxiety, but I noticed a positive difference after a few weeks. It takes the edge off the 'background anxiety' without having much effect on the acute attacks, other than making them a little easier to cope with (it's easier to recognize them as acute anxiety attacks and deal with them better), at least for me. So it's not amazing but it does help me. I was on Xanax for the first month and then didn't need it anymore.

And yes, you can take SSRIs with Buspar, under the supervision of a doctor that knows what they're doing. I was on Celexa and Buspar together for over a year. It might have something to do with dosages, or particular SSRIs being worse than others for interactions.

I took buspar along with Zoloft without any discernible effect on my anxiety. But then again, my anxiety manifests itself in a kind of "snowball of anxiety rolloing down a hill, growing as it goes" method instead of a more physical manifestation of anxiety (anxiety attacks, etc). For my type of brain/thinking, only the punch of a benzo and it's hit on the GABA receptor calms me down.

Over the years, I've slowly stepped down from very potent but short lasting benzos to milder and longer lasting, smoother benzos. Right now, I'm recovering from a mixed episode, so I'm taking my benzo at least once daily, but before that I went a couple of months without taking one.

We'll see how I do when I start college next week, lol!

I take Buspar, Zoloft and Abilify together. Just recently switched from taking 30mg buspar once a day to 15mg 3 times a day. Not sure what it's doing for my anxiety yet. As someone else suggested, it seems to have a subtle effect for me. I actually focus better with it and notice the difference when I go off it --I have more trouble keeping a train of thought or sticking to task. My pdoc thinks that's because my lack of concentration is a byproduct of anxiety. Could be worth a try.

My pdoc told me that buspar is definitely better than placebo, but it only works in a minority of patients. It was like popping candy for me. My Gdoc put me on it, and as soon as I saw my pdoc for the first time, he told me I didn't have to take it anymore, since it clearly wasn't working.

My doc recently added buspar to my lexapro. After about a week and a half my anxiety got so bad my panic attacks and extreme crying jags came back. Stopped taking it and it went back to normal. Sooo, that combo was a huge no for me. Did not like.

Add me to the list as thinking buspar takes the edge off my anxiety. Without it I was in really sad shape and with it things are way more chilled out. I might be a bit weird acting but I'm functioning.

I have a Benzo (As needed) for the crap attacks and that seems subtle (to me) but the effect is calming. And the heart keblanging etc go away.

SSRIs seemed to work after a while for me but they totally screw up any ability to climax. *Which if your not insane you soon will be.

Archived