How to ask for a 2nd/3rd Chance?

Hey everybody,

So my college career has been pretty much a major disaster. I was expelled from school in May of '11 for poor grades but was re-admitted on academic probation. I then had to take a year off to take care of a sick relative/ work on my mental health with the idea I'd come back in September. I decided to re-take a summer class I'd failed because I thought I could handle it.

Apparently not. I've already had a talking to from the professor about showing up for class, and the class officially ended a week ago, although the professor had the last essay due thursday. Out of four, I only completed two essays, one of which was turned in late. I have a lot of anxiety and hang ups about academic things, but I think poor planning and procrastination are the major culprit here :( I told my therapist about this last week and she said to e-mail him and just send the essays, but I'm just too timid.

Is there a way I can ask him to accept the essays? If I fail this class I'll be expelled for good

Thanks for listening

So, have you considered applying for a medical withdrawal? It is unclear from your post if you are currently having severe mental health symptoms and that can cause poor planning and procrastination. You should not be kicked out of school if a medical issue is causing your problems.

I would email the professor right away, either way. Professors can be very empathetic and helpful but only if you keep them in the loop. And email your academic adviser too, while you're at it. I know it's scary to do that but it can save your ass.

I agree with tryp's advice. As a college instructor I can tell you that I (and many others) will be much more sympathetic and helpful if we have some idea that you are struggling because of mental health issues. I also wanted to add though, in case things don't work out as you hope with this class, that it won't be the end of the world, even though it might feel that way. I failed out of college once (it's a wonder it wasn't more) and dropped out repeatedly because of what I now realize was anxiety and depression. I've carried a lot of bad feelings about that over the years. But eventually I did graduate and eventually went to graduate school when I was in a better place mentally. So life will go on. Try to be kind to yourself. Your emotional well-being is more important than your college career. My humble opinion.

Guest Vapourware

You should ask your therapist if they can write a supporting letter as to why you are handing the work late, and let the lecturer know what is happening in your life. I've found that lecturers don't want to fail their students, especially if you have had issues beyond your control.

I agree, get a medical professional to write a letter outlining the difficulties you've had this semester. Then take that letter to your professor, along with any already-completed assignments. Tell the professor what's going on in your life, that you hit a road block, that you are working through this, and that you will work as hard as possible to not fail this class.

Professors only want to fail the students they think don't give a shit about they class; they will often work with those dedicated students who have real problems.

Get in to see your professor ASAP ( even if you are still waiting for the letter) and see what you csn do. And sign up for the college's disability services as soon as you can to prevent something like this from happening again.

Archived