Do you find it difficult to focus on reading after or during a psychotic episode? I was talking to my pdoc that I've been reading a lot lately (since I got my kindle) and she said even she doesn't have the patience to finish books. I never used to be able to read books until i got the kindle. I feel it makes huge books less daunting to read because it's so small and compact. Definately reccomend getting a kindle to anyone. I'm curently reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts... its taking forever to finish at 933 pages but getting there lol

I found it dfficult to read when severally depressed and psychotic, not sure if that was just the depression though. When mildly psychotic I find I read books of a morbid nature to 'gain idea's' they can make me really paranoid.

Good luck with your book, I hope you finish all 933 pages of it! Enjoy!

P.s I love the actual feel of a book, something to carry around, bend, actually get into. I'm considering getting a kindle but I'm worried I'll miss the physical experience of a book?

I found it dfficult to read when severally depressed and psychotic, not sure if that was just the depression though. When mildly psychotic I find I read books of a morbid nature to 'gain idea's' they can make me really paranoid.

Good luck with your book, I hope you finish all 933 pages of it! Enjoy!

P.s I love the actual feel of a book, something to carry around, bend, actually get into. I'm considering getting a kindle but I'm worried I'll miss the physical experience of a book?

This. I can't even watch a television show after psychosis.

I'm a graduate plus level student of literature. Nothing will ever replace the feel of books for me. :)

I used to love reading, but these days I just cannot concentrate enough to take in the story. It is something that really annoys me. it is usually better for me if I just read what I can, and don't worry about going long periods of time (this is very frustrating for me) where I don't feel able to read.

My pdoc said it was likely that my poor concentration was caused by my psychosis and anxiety.

I have thought about getting a kindle, but aren't certain. I like proper books but when the pain in my arms is bad they feel like a lead weight, which just ends up being another reason not to read.

I find it hard to concentrate in general, but I've noticed my concentration going south since I was psychotic. I find it hard to focus on my books, and I only read a few pages before either getting bored or having my mind wander away. I also see sparkles a lot of the time, so they distract me. My lack of concentration could also be from depression though.

Good luck with your book! I don't think I could read on a Kindle, I love the feel and smell of a book. :)

Guest Vapourware

Just after a psychotic episode, I find it hard to concentrate on very much, including reading. Eventually my concentration comes back. However, I do find I can read when in an episode, although the reading I do is related to the theme of my delusions.

I understand what most of you are saying. I love the feel of books too. I was reluctant to buy a Kindle for that reason but once I got it i'm not looking back.

Anyway, when I was younger I too had difficulty absorbing information and concentrating. I just wouldn't remember what I read or understand it but now my concentration and ability to absorb this information is improving. I guess it does get better. :)

• 1 year later...