Am I required to pay for this?

I just got done with the WORST group therapy session. I am absolutely pissed at how it went and how it's been going. It's supposed to be a DBT skills group, but we have not once worked on any type of skill and each week it seems to boil down to something similar to a NAMI support type thing except the leader occasionally gives us worksheets. I mean if I wanted to just chatter away about mundane stuff I could go to the local NAMI group and not pay anything for it. Today's group we literally spent the hour (and it's supposed to be an hour and a half long, but as per usual the leader is LATE as she is with individual appointments) talking about ANIMALS AND FAVORITE FOODS. Like...what the fuck? Not only did the leader skip me for check in (oh but everyone else got a turn, of course) but she lets the woman with DID, who was currently a child alter, monopolize the group and talk about totally irrelevant things. I am having a fucking terrible time in my life, but by all means, don't ask me about it and please let the five year old alter talk about how much she loves lasagna! I don't understand, I truly don't.

My question is, considering how utterly unsatisfied I am with this "service", am I absolutely required to pay the fee? It's not through insurance, it's self-pay, and while it's only $30 a session it's really the principle of the whole thing. Why should I pay for something that is unsatisfactory?

I mean I know with most things and services, you can get refunds or whatever, but I have no idea if that applies to therapy too, lol. I am going to call tomorrow since I need them to take my credit card off their system as I will no longer be using their services, but I want to know if I am way off-base in thinking about this. Should I just pay the fee and let it go? I don't really want to, I don't feel like I got what I paid for, but if I have no choice...

I realize it might vary place to place, but I'm just wondering in general.

I have no idea what the legal angle is, but if you were told that this was going to be a DBT group, and it's not, then you are not getting the service you expected. Also, if it's supposed to be 90 minutes, then it should be 90 minutes.

If this is through a hospital or a medical practice, I would definitely call the appropriate person and tell them your concerns, and explain that you don't want to pay for it since it is not turning out to be the way it was presented to you. And you should ABSOLUTELY make sure they stop deducting it from your credit card.

They may insist on you paying for the ones you have attended, but I would offer a compromise---maybe offer to pay half of the fee that is owed. It sounds like the therapist is totally incompetent.

olga

It's advertised as a DBT group, but I haven't seen anything DBT about it, honestly. It's a practice, several different people working in it. I'm not sure who I would talk to except whoever answers the phone, but I guess I'll find out when I call tomorrow.

We've already paid for all the past sessions and except for today's and last week's, they've all been decent (though again, not what I thought I was getting into.) I guess I'm more not wanting to pay for tonight's group. It'd be wonderful if I could get back the money from all the group sessions, but not gonna hold my breath.

I am just...beyond pissed off. At the end of the group I told her I would not be returning, she just said "Yeah, you don't seem with it." What does that even mean?

If it was advertised as a DBzt group, then you have certain treatment guidelines and expectations. They can't lure you in with a group therapy name and then just let everyone talk about unrelated items.

I would talk to the therapy office manager, explain that you joined and participated in these sessions specifically on the expectation of getting a rigourous DBT session, and that's not being done. Mention the lateness of the facilitator and the shortened session times as well. Then ask for a refund of the fees you've paid, stating that you've given the group a thorough trial to try and become a true DBT group, and it clearly isn't going to be that.

Maybe something can be worked out. It's worth a shot, anyway.

Also, if nothing is done on the therapist end, try calling your health insurance provider and advising them of the situation. They have the ability to investigate treatment they paid for that you didn't receive, and you might be entitled to a refund of your copays after a health insurance company investigation. I did this once, but it was a long time ago and not mental health related.

It's not through my insurance company, so all the fees have come out of pocket. Strangely enough, it would've been more expensive to do it through them and it would use up my number of allowed mental health visits.

I did just call however, said they would take the credit card out of their system, and also I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the group. The office manager told me she would have the medical director call me back later this afternoon to discuss it, so I'll see what happens there. She seemed to understand what I was saying when I explained how the group was going, though, so that's a good sign.

Thank you olga and gizmo, appreciate your responses. I'll update how it goes after I find out.

DBT can vary on how it is delivered and who it is being delivered to. Yes, there is a core material to cover, but depending on the MI's of the people it is being delivered to, it might be different. Someone with DID may need to have some room to talk in one session, however inane it sounded to you, the tdoc may have had a strategic reason for letting the person talk. Something like being missed in a check in is annoying, but it happens, and it can be a great opp to say 'hey, you missed my check in' and practice being assertive, rather than passive aggressive.

If the skills aren't being covered at all, then maybe get your money back. But it's normal to not like the other people there, for to group to seem confusing at times and tdocs are humans, lateness happens. How much of this is that it is genuinely unhelpful, and how much is this you being frustrated and mistrustful of therapy?

I would think a DBT group would be working on the DBT skills, and not just talk therapy for a few people who monopolize the session. I would try to get my money back. I did DBT on my own through a workbook, and that seems better than what you're describing. Your supposed to be there to learn skills, not chit chat.

I have no dislike or anything of the sort for the other group members. What I'm displeased with is the group leader and how this group is being advertised and run. I don't know the diagnoses of everyone in the group, though a few have mentioned bipolar and then this woman has DID. Other than that, I have no idea.

Honestly, when I hear DBT, I'm expecting to go through the four modules and learn the skills. I'm expecting mindfulness, distress tolerance and etc. I joined this group to learn skills to help me deal with my emotions and live my life. That is what I'm paying for. I am not paying to listen to someone list off their favorite foods for an hour. I am not paying to be completely ignored (had that happened only once, fine, but this is the second time.) I don't think she simply missed me, rather than became much more interested in what this other woman was doing. In fact, at the beginning of the session, she stated something along the lines of "I'd like you all to learn about (woman), her alter is a child but she has a lot of wisdom!" I mean, that's neat and all, but yeah...not what I'm paying for. If she needs room to talk, she needs to save that for her own private sessions, I don't understand how it's fair to monopolize the entire group when we ALL have issues that need dealing with and talking about, why are hers any more important than the rest of us? And why am I not being asked what's going on with me? Sure, I could've spoken up and said something, but I didn't. Yes, maybe I'm more passive-aggressive than anything, but that's how it happened and I can't change it now.

About lateness, yes I realize we are human and lateness happens, but why is it EVERY SINGLE TIME? That's what I'm annoyed about. And when she is late, I feel like she should make up for that by extending the group or session by the amount of time she was late. She doesn't do that. So therefore, I, and others, get shorted.

I am extremely frustrated. I had already decided to terminate individual therapy with her, maybe that is more of a product of mistrusting therapy, but I was going to continue with the group in hopes that we would be learning the skills I need. We're not, we haven't, and it doesn't look like we will be. Therefore, I am frustrated and I need to put an end to it and move on.

Archived