CrazyBoards.org

I've been on fluoxetine for 7 months now, at 40mg for the past 3 months and for a while it was amazing. I had all the benefits and non of the side effects but over the past month depression has started creeping up on me again, also with some delusional thinking. The obly thing that's changed is me getting a part time job. Is it possible that my AD is losing it's effectiveness? Or is this just the result of having extra responsibility of a job?

...is it even possible for AD's to reduce in their benefits over time?

This has become such an issue for me I've been thinking about upping my dose myself to 60mg or at least buy an over the counter product to help like 5htp.

...is it even possible for AD's to reduce in their benefits over time?

This has become such an issue for me I've been thinking about upping my dose myself to 60mg or at least buy an over the counter product to help like 5htp.

Yes, it's possible for ADs to be less effective over time. I'm having the same problem (I take 80 mg Prozac and 5 mg Abilify). You should talk to your pdoc about upping your dose instead of modifying your dose on your own. It might make more sense to take a second medication in addition to the Prozac. In my case, the Prozac helped my MDD and GAD but not my OCD, which is why we added Abilify (which has been pretty successful at calming the OCD). For what it's worth, my pdoc prescribes 60 mg Prozac for anxiety; 40 mg would be an intermediate dose building up to 60 or 80 mg. So you might benefit from an increase in your meds anyway.

My pdoc is trying me on Deplin to supplement my Prozac and Abilify; see my blog for endless posts from the last three weeks about Deplin. Basically, some people have a genetic inability to process folic acid correctly, and Deplin provides a form of folic acid that doesn't need that processing to be used. Folic acid is needed for serotonin management and other mental processes. If you have the genetic problem, Deplin may make a huge difference for you; if you don't, it probably won't do anything.

Sorry for the randomness of these thoughts. PM me if you want to talk more about this. Good luck!

5HTP can be dangerous if mixed with AD's. If the stress of part time work is causing symptms, your pdoc needs to know.

It could be a couple of different factors - with time, you sort of learn to tell when you are having a situational low and when you are having an episode. Of course, the line is blurry because situational stress can definitely bring on or exacerbate an episode.

And yes, ADs can also crap out, and you have to either raise the dose or go back on the merry go round. It happened to me with 3 antidepressants in a row, but I don't think the average person is so unlucky with them.

Call your doctor. Some over the counter products (including 5HTP) are very dangerous to take with SSRIs and it is dangerous to raise the dose on your own - for one thing, you will run out of pills too fast and find yourself in a bad spot at the end of the month.