I've experienced thoughts of murder though they were intrusive thoughts as part of my obsessive OCD, so I wasn't inviting these thoughts nor fantasizing, either. I don't know if everyone has thoughts of murder, though I wouldn't be surprised if most people had at least a few fleeting thoughts about it.

Are you feeling okay, safe? Anything going on that you want to talk about? I assume you are having such thoughts currently...are they new (I don't remember if you've mentioned it before or not)?

Guest Vapourware

Thoughts of murder, as in the thought of killing someone. I've had those. It was when I was quite unwell. I also don't think it's common for people to think about murder. I don't think it crosses the minds of most people. My current med combo has helped and I no longer have those thoughts.

I disagree, I've heard sane people say that they have occasional murderous thoughts, but they don't feel that these thoughts are any more than that. Most people recognize that they don't have any meaning or compulsion and are not in a mental place where carrying the out seems likely, so they shrug them off. My tdoc once confirmed that for me. The difference between them and us is because we're in a bad place those thoughts have a charge for us that makes them return and haunt us.

Obviously if someone is having regular murderous thoughts, that probably is indicative of mental illness. But I don't think many sane people have got through life without it crossing it minds or having an idle fantasy about it.

"Obviously if someone is having regular murderous thoughts, that probably is indicative of mental illness. But I don't think many sane people have got through life without it crossing it minds or having an idle fantasy about it."

What is the difference between a sane person having thoughts of murder and an 'insane' person hving those thoughts. Is there a line that remark when these thoughts become unhealthy?

I don't know for sure because I'm not a professional but the line for me would be:

1. If the thoughts came with what felt like a compulsion or powerful urge

2. If the thoughts were intrusive (unwanted, random or repetitive, not idle day dream)

3. If someone has a violent history

4. If the person had reduced capacity to make decisions due to MI e.g lack of insight

5. If the thoughts cause distress to the person having them.

6. If that person has been/is being a victim a violence or threat where they might have to protect themselves.

Everyone has has a boss they'd like to hit with a shovel at some point, many mothers have despaired of their kids and wished they could give them a good slap. It's a normal human reaction to anger to lash out, even though we've managed to evolve to temper that urge over time. The vast majority of people who fantasize about dispatching with their boss or ex never think a second thought about it and never act it out. I think it is a normal thing, in that sense.

I agree with Titania on those points, I've heard of people who are not MI (as far as I know) mentioning how they want to kill/harm someone, but they don't mean it and it's generally in a joking manner or because they are angry at them.

It can be a part of OCD (intrusive thoughts), but I've heard it come from all sorts of different things. This is a good thing to discuss with your tdoc.

I've planned a murder when I was apeshit. I even did some acts "in furtherance," which is legalese for taking the first steps to execute the plan. I went out and purchased a tarp. I forget what I was going to do with it for sure, but I think I actually bought it so when I killed my mother and myself, it would be easier to clean up. Because cleanliness is important. And I picked out a knife and a location. The house has actually been remodeled so that location doesn't really exist anymore. Then I realized I was crazy, and called my pdoc (who did nothing). But realizing I had to call my pdoc was a reality check, and it made it possible for me to hang on until I felt less like I wanted to kill her.

Archived