So I have insight, meaning that I know that if one is to be in a manic or psychotic phase, they will lack insight. I have been feeling extremely happy lately for no apparent reason. The ugly of this disease is that I actually have to wonder that when I am feeling happy it could actually be the beginning of an episode, specifically manic.

I mean, right now, I feel on top of the world. No one can tell me what to do. I feel stronger and more invincible than I ever have. I feel like the world is my oyster and I could be or have anything that I want. I'm not taking crap off of anyone and I am not afraid to speak my mind. I am not afraid to make my needs known. I am not afraid of anyone or anything. My sleep, it has been horrible. I have awoken every hour on the hour or only to wake up and no be able to fall back asleep for hours. I have shared all of this with my pdoc. She gave me some sleeping pills, which are really helping, thankfully. I am not making any risky decisions, nor do I have any risky behaviors. I'm not sleeping around; that is good. I guess this really could be just happiness. Isn't it sad that I even have to question it? Does anyone else feel like this?

After I had my first manic episode, I would worry whenever I felt good that it would go to feeling "too" good. I talked to my pdoc about it and he reminded me that my manias don't start like that. I get irritable and aggitated. He told me to just enjoy when I feel good. I don't know if you have any other symptoms that go along with mania like that.

I'm glad you are sleeping better now. It is a shame when you have to worry about feeling good.

I'm in a position sort of similar - I don't know if I'm happy or hypomanic. it's been 3 days of being like this, having shitty sleep, and feeling great. I'm questioning it - but I'm embracing it. I want to feel this way for as long as possible. I'm glad youre finally able to go to sleep, though :)

We are still allowed to be happy. Happy doesn't mean that you're symptomatic. There is a lot more to mania/hypomania than happy. Same thing with sad/angry. Those don't instantly mean you're symptomatic either. We are humans. We have changes in mood that are entirely normal. What you have to look out for is the things that make your mood more or less than the norm. The more experience you get, the easier it is to tell whether it's an episode that might require a med change and regular old feelings.

For me, more than a couple of days of "up" and I need to look at a med change. I also seem to have a very short fuse when I'm manic so I have to look out for the anger as well. If I'm getting more angry than a situation warrants, then I know I'm probably headed somewhere I don't want to be going. The depression comes over me and overwhelms me in a matter of a couple of days. It is terrible. The deep pit. There is no mistaking it for anything else. Luckily I now know exactly which meds to take and when to keep myself from getting in trouble.

Archived