I suppose that I should use a different font to show that I'm not Rosie in case I screw something up (for example - does this go in the ptsd forum?). My name is Science. I think that I've met some of you before.

I don't understand how these things are supposed to work? Is it magic?

Today, for example, we made tokens. Because we're going back to "the scene of the crime" (a place a few hours North of here) and going back to where the trauma happened is always upsetting. So we made tokens to remind of statements like "I'm an adult" or "I'm safe now" or "this feeling is a memory" to help to dispell the fear and the dread. But I don't get it. Do they work by magic? If so, does my doubting them cause them to not work any more? It seems so strange and bizarre to me that some pieces of paper will keep people safe like that. I mean, tdoc today also let us take another grounding rock (she always has a collection of coloured rocks and quartz and small statues to hold) home. There was only one pointy quartz one though, so at least we have that now. That will help more than some pieces of paper. Unless my approach is wrong? I just don't know how to accept that this will work.

I think I might have met you, but I think it was a long time ago. Nice to meet you again. Don't worry too much about where to put things - I don't think anybody minds where they are.

I use those things too, but I don't really know how they work either - sometimes they feel like magic. But I think that they just remind your brain of things it already knows. Plus I think they help me because they seem "out of place". Like when I used to have to go back to that kind of place, I took something from my therapist with me because it was something that I wouldn't have had when I was a child, so it sort of disrupted my sense that I still was that child because it didn't belong. I like to have things I can hold because it involves more of my senses rather than just being in my head (because sometimes I feel like I can't trust what's just in my head, since the PTSD is all in there)

Maybe that makes no sense. But I don't think you can break it by not believing

Guest Vapourware

I think those tokens are more like guides to help you ground yourself. Not so much that you have to believe in them, but more that it gives you a reminder that you are in the present day, and not back in the trauma. It's like a form of mindfulness, where you take yourself out of your mind and ruminations and memories about the past, and instead looking at the here and now. At least, that's how I see it. Hope that helps, and nice to meet you again.

The 'token' is a placeholder that reminds you of what you already know.

Its not about the object itself. The object itself is a tangible reminder, a physical way to link to what you want to remember.

Tokens remind us, when revisiting the memories or places of abuse, that we are no longer in that past. The little Me's think it is always still happening, and they react accordingly. But if we send in the adult, to protect them and remind them that the danger is over, we survived and we are safe now, it helps the littles. Tokens, visualizations, specific imagery of our now elderly abuser far away on an ice floe, these things help us help the littles know that what they are experiencing is over and in the past.

Nice to meet you, by the way.

Archived