Can manic hypersexual behaviour lead to...

I don't mean to be rude or sleazy but I heard from others including my psych that when a girl with bipolar goes manic many of them dress provokatively and sleep around then later regret it big time.

Now when a guy goes manic can he go hypersexual as much as the girl who goes manic and have that urge to sleep around that might lead to rape?

I apologize if i upset anyone but it's a serious question that has bothered me.

I suppose hypersexuality could happen for men too, and yes, could potentially lead to rape. I don't think rape can be blamed on a manic episode, though. I think the urge or intent would probably have to be somewhere under the surface for that to become a reality, manic or not. Then again, I'm not bipolar, so I couldn't say for sure.

Psychiatrists do not list rape as possible consequence of mania or hypersexuality. Nor do they list bank robbery nor jay walking.

The more likely consequence of mania induced hypersexuality is promiscuous sex with its negative consequences such as STD's, unwanted pregnancy, damage to marriages/relationships, etc.

**Bipolar Disorder doesn't turn people into monsters, as a rule. Even in the clutches of mania, our core personality is still operating. Mania does not turn Mother Teresa into a street walking, pole dancing floozy with every episode.

Society holds us responsible for our actions, regardless of how ill we are. BD is not a free ticket for debauched or illegal behavior.

#Yes, I know there are horror stories. Yes we often do things that we wouldn't do while well. But I don't think that anyone should spend time being afraid that they will become a Jekyll-Hyde figure during a manic episode.

You know what? My dad worked with a lot of Italian psychiatrists (we went every year, I was soooo spoiled, I didn't even think that was unusual). ANYWAY, the rumor among the Italian psychiatric community was that John Paul II was bipolar. This was just a rumor, but interestingly, a friend of ours is an attorney in the Vatican, and he says he had heard the rumors, too.

That is way off topic, but I'm leaving it.

ETA: I mean the rumor was JP II was *being treated* for bipolar illness.

I know you have some mixed up ideas about women, but you really need some therapy for them. You've posted a lot about how you've interfered with your brothers sex life because you are jealous and how abuse is normal in a relationship. I don't think mania is your problem, I think you have some things you need to get straight in your head with the help of a professional. I'm not saying you *would* rape someone, but as I read on a recent reddit thread about rapists confessing why they did it, most of them had very mixed up ideas about women, including what consent was, how a woman dressed, what they were entitled to because other women had rejected them etc. If you have woman issues, which you seem to from what you've said on CB, get it fixed so you can enjoy happy relationships with women who you treat with respect.

Mania may make you impulsive and risk taking, but you won't commit rape because of hypersexuality. The only thing along those lines I can think of was a female teacher, Debra LaFave who had sex with an underage male student. She said it was because of bipolar disorder. She did take a plea bargain for a light sentence

Mania can lead to impulsive and reckless behavior, but it does not reset your moral compass. You will always know right from wrong, even while you may have promiscuous sex or spend your rent money. You also have the capability to feel remorse for your actions when manic.

In your question, you might have a hypersexual, instense interaction with a woman, but if she says no or resists going further in the encounter, no amount of mania will make you override your knowledge that "no means no" or that you can't force yourself on another person. Mania just isn't like this.

I agree with Titania. Many rapists have a warped sense of what wonen's values and worth are. They seem to sense them as objects with themselves as the only important and real person in the encounter. You seem to treat or see women as objects rather than humans with feelings and emotions equal to and as important as yours.

You have a general lack of insight that you are not the center of the universe, that other people (male and female) have equally important feelings and values, and that you need to respect and be considerate of others. It is obvious that you are not able to come to these important conclusions on your own. You need a therapist to help you gain a basic knowledge, understanding, and empathy for fellow humans. Why you don't try to obtain this is beyond me. Surely you don't want to stay like this? You can never have a true interpersonal relationship until you meet this important goal.

I don't know if this is allowed, so mods, feel free to delete if not.

Your complete lack of empathy for other human beings, your view of them as a means to and end, and your darkly disturbed views of sex and women strike me as extremely anti-social. I don't mean that in the common parlance. I mean that clinically. It's not my place to assign labels or diagnose, but your posts raise huge red flags for me. Have your therapist or pdoc ever mentioned Anti-Social Personality Disorder? Can you print out your posts about your brother and women and rape and "relationships" with others and give them to your therapist? You lack insight of any kind into the troubles you experience and always blame others. Perhaps your therapist needs to understand the depth of the problem.

Alternatively, are you a troll? I find your posts constantly offensive, triggering, and somewhat ominous. Are you for real?

When your conversational hook is: "I don't mean to be rude or sleazy," it is long past time for you to both shut up, and to be in therapy. Are you in therapy?

And why are all your "serious questions" about the terrible problems you are having not being able to force women to conform to your predetermined standards. And how is it ethical to take of advantage of a women who isn't thinking clearly, or.trying to find special circumstances where they have poor impulse control? Seriously, How are you going to magically meet, start talking to BP women, and guess when they are manic and horny?

Really, Waypills, you need to see a therapist. Your attitude towards women is NOT attractive to any woman I know, and is jeapordizing your future relationships.

Get the hence, to a tdoc.

Archived