Taking Pristiq for Depression or Severe Mood Disorders - Warning Serious Side Effects

I was prescribed Pristiq for my depression in October of 2009. It did work wonders with my depression but, eleven months ago I started having abdominal pains... For the past eleven months, I have been in pure hell because of this drug... The severe pain caused by this drug almost killed me... If anyone on here is taking Pristiq or knows someone who is taking Pristiq, please warn them about this very serious side effect that neither the FDA or the maker of the drug is warning people about...

If you start having abdominal pains and they last longer than a week, get to your doctor right away and get off this drug... Don't go what I went thru, this drug will kill someone if it hasn't already... Again, this drug has many serious side effects that are not listed for this drug... I have started my own blog about this drug, my story is too long to post here... I don't think I can post up my blog here but if interested, shoot me a message and I'll give your address...

I stopped taking this drug eight days ago, I went cold turkey... Not recommended but I will not take one more pill of this poison and go thru the pain... So far so good, the withdrawal off this drug hasn't been to bad for me but it can be bad for others... In the eight days since I stopped taking Pristiq, my pain levels have reduced significantly but I am still in pain... Again, if you start having abdominal pains, stop taking this drug!!! It will kill you...

Again, this drug causes severe abdominal pain... I am not sure at this time if permanent damage has occured to my system yet but, I do know there is another individual in my home town that suffered this same severe side effect, got off the drug but now has Crohn's disease... She does not know if Pristiq contributed to or caused this to happen but from what I've researched, this drug is causing severe birth defects among many other side effects... Please, spread the word about this drug before someone dies... Thanks...

This isn't true for everyone, you shouldn't tell people to stop their Meds. Telling people their Meds will kill them could cause serious problems in people that are already unwell.

Also I've taken this drug for quite awhile and never had ANY side effects.

I didn't have that side effect with pristiq. It did make me actively suicidal, though, and that is very out of the norm for me. As far as birth defects as a side effect.. welcome to psychiatric medicine. There are a LOT of psychoactive drugs that cause birth defects.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your medication, but it's still not good advice to urge people to quit their own meds.

Guest Vapourware

I'd like to see links regarding your research.

This site advocates treatment, therefore, we don't encourage people to come off their medication. What happened to you might not happen to others.

Re-read what I said... I said if you experience abdominal pain to contact your doctor and get off this drug... No where did I say to just stop on your own... The links are on my blog but I do not think I can post up my blog address in open forum... If you want to know what my blog address is, PM and I'll send you the address... The pain I am suffering from this drug will kill a person, trust me... There are more and more people reporting severe abdominal pain caused by Pristiq, the information is out there... All I am trying to do is warn people about this serious side effect... If you don't experience abdominal pain, then there is no reason to stop taking Pristiq... Like I said, it did wonders for my depression, it changed me almost overnight... I am not telling anyone to stop this drug on there own or anything else...

If you have never suffered severe chronic pain then you do not have any idea or understanding of what severe pain will do to a person... Severe pain over a prolonged period of time will kill, that is just a fact... Whether the pain is caused by a drug like Pristiq or a disease, severe pain will kill... People die everyday commiting suicide because they just can't take the pain anymore... That is a fact... Again, don't put words in my mouth or twist what I have said into something other than what it is... I am simply warning people that are taking Pristiq that if they start having abdominal pain and it lasts for more than a week to get with their doctor and tell he/she you want off this drug... Severe pain kills people and unless you've experienced severe pain for months on end, you have no clue... Educate yourself, don't believe me, find out for yourself... I know what it has done to me and I simply don't want anyone else go through what I have gone thru for eleven months... Pristiq is not the only anti depressant drug out there... All of them have side effects, some are minor some are major...

Look up the side effects for Pristiq for yourself... See if the makers of Pristiq list severe abdominal pain as a side effect... You won't because it isn't there... All I'm doing is telling people of this side effect to prevent one more person suffering excruciating pain like I have...

I'd like to see links regarding your research.

This site advocates treatment, therefore, we don't encourage people to come off their medication. What happened to you might not happen to others.

Forgive me but the responses to my post so far is totally out of context... Point out in my post where I said for people to quit Pristiq that are not experiencing severe abdominal pain... What part of that don't you folks understand? This side effect is not listed by the maker, look it up for yourself, it is not there... If people don't know, then they will go thru what I have gone thru... I did not say anywhere in my post that everyone taking Pristiq is going to have this side effect... But there are hundreds of people that have experienced severe abdominal pain from this drug and have stopped taking it for that reason... The information is out there folks all you have to do is look... If only one person suffers this side effect, that's one person who needs to know... That is all I am doing here folks, letting people know that there is a serious side effect that the makers are not telling people about... I'm sure that sooner or later, the FDA will make them add this side effect to the drug information but until that happens, the only way people will know is by what I'm doing right now...

Again, Pristiq did wonders for my depression so it does help people... It helped me but it also came with a very serious side effect that almost killed me... Would you rather I just kept this information to myself and by so doing, someone else would experience this side effect and not know that Pristiq is the cause of it? For the majority of people taking Pristiq, they most likely will never have severe abdominal pain but there are those that do and it is for those that do that I am doing this for... What kind of human being would I be if I kept quite, didn't warn others about this serious side effect, what I've learned, what I've experienced? Don't know about you but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror and let someone else go throught the absolute hell I went through...

This isn't true for everyone, you shouldn't tell people to stop their Meds. Telling people their Meds will kill them could cause serious problems in people that are already unwell.

Also I've taken this drug for quite awhile and never had ANY side effects.

Are you kidding me? Where did I say for people to stop their meds for no reason? I said, if you experience severe abdominal pain that lasts for more than a week to contact their doctor and tell them you want off this drug... That is a far cry from just telling people to stop their meds... The majority of people taking Pristiq have little to no side effects like you... Up until a year ago, I didn't have any side effects either... If telling people that Pristiq can kill people is wrong then tell me what is right? It is obvious to me by the responses so far that none of you have a clue as to what it's like to suffer severe pain over a pro-longed period of time... If you don't think that pain will kill, then you have absolutely no understanding of what pain can and will do to a person... It is a medical fact that people will die when they are exposed to prolonged periods of time in intense pain... So, if a drug causes this pain, then logic should prevail here and when I said Pristiq can kill, it is based on what I know about chronic severe pain... I do not understand you people... I am simply warning people about a serious side effect caused by this drug, nothing more, nothing less... I am not the only one who has experienced severe abdominal pain caused by Pristiq... There are hundreds of people that suffered this side effect and got off this drug and went to another anti depressant... That is all I'm telling folks to do, get off this one if you have severe abdominal pain and have their doctor prescribe a different anti depressant that doesn't cause severe abdominal pain like Pistiq does... Keep the conversation real folks, don't put words in my mouth or make wild accusations that aren't there... If you don't want to head my warning about this drug, so be it... I've done my part, if you choose not to listen or to spread the word than that is your choice, not mine...

You are fear mongering.

^This. And if you have severe abdominal pain for a week, you should contact your doctor, even if you don't have a psychiatric illness.

Tireing, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you are not a copy editor. But when someone interacting with you uses cogent language, vomiting words onto the page is not a sound strategy. It makes you look like you are unsure of your position.

That might be because the only patient whose response to pristiq you are using is yourself. I am sick of saying that the plural of "anecdote" is not data, but there it is again.

• 1 month later...

Pristiq so far has been my saving grace! I've been on it for three months at 50mg per day and I just got bumped up to 100mg per day. Not only has it worked wonders on my mood but also for my chronic pain. A few weeks after I started, I was able to stop taking my arthritis medicine all together. Some of the pain and fatigue started coming back which was why my Dr. bumped me up to 100mg.

Archived