I think I have a learning disability, but I can't afford the test

I've had severe problems with math since I was in the first grade. Don't get me wrong, I've always greatly surpassed my peers in literature, writing, history, language acquisition, and social sciences. Foreign languages come to me so easily I barely have to put in any effort. I'm not stupid. But I've always had big problems with even the most basic of math skills, and no one ever thought to have me tested. My whole life, all my teachers have just told me I'm stupid and lazy and that I just need to work more problems. Before I quit college, I spent all day in the library studying math, just so I could pass the freshman algebra course, and because of the time I had to spend on math, the grades in my other classes suffered because there was simply no time. Now I want to go back to school very badly, but I'm so afraid I won't be admitted because my grades make me look stupid (the mood disorder doesn't help at all) and even if I were admitted, I'm so scared I'd fail and wouldn't be able to graduate because of the math. I'm a humanities major, but math is still required to graduate. I want to have a test done so I can qualify for help from the school, special arrangements and such, and so maybe they can help me improve so I can do the work, but the test is $500 and I can't afford it.

This causes me so much anxiety and stress that every time I think about it I start crying and it makes me feel so worthless...

What if, when it is time to take the math course, it's the only course you take. Also, ask for a lot of help from the professor. My roommate did that with a science class, and he gave her a passing grade for effort. Just some thoughts.

Can the college give you some names of places that can do the testing for you? Then call them up and explain your situation and ask for payment options or a reduced fee? Also, is there any way this testing could be done on campus, say through the counseling or disability department?

I hope you can get the testing done. Is there any way that you can get the part-time enrollment approved because of another factor, such as your mental illness?

Not all of our intellectual disadvantages or weaknesses can be classified as a *disorder*--sometimes one subject or another is simple more or less difficult for us.

Setting out to pathologize each and every part of our intellectual make-up, our personalities, or the way we do or do not learn is more destructive than instructive.

I have always struggled with maths, but with effort excel at other subjects and topics. Learning to ask for assistance with difficult topics/subjects was the best thing I ever learned. As a older woman that lesson has stood me well for many years.

I am very poor at maths. I was a good student and fantastic at wordy stuff but maths, I was very poor. I don't see it as a learning disability, probably because it didn't affect me in any meaningful way, but I suppose it does prevent me from doing certain jobs. However, I have enough going on without declaring myself to have a learning disability too. It's just not a language I speak, as it were.

Archived