A quick hello, a bio, and some job woes/questions

Hello, I’m Tina. I’m rather new to forums and discussing my conditions with people. I used to, as a teenager and young(er) adult, but it’s hard to get a job when you wear your MI on your sleeve, am I right?

I’m 24 years old. I struggle with a constant “go-to solution” of suicide and breaking down often. I was diagnosed with depression at 12, with a change in diagnosis at 19: Bipolar I, ADHD, Generalized Anxiety, and PTSD. And that’s all they have figured out at this point. I show schizoaffective traits, but the doctor is wary of diagnosing something that went away with (then) 15mg Abilify. I’m currently down to 10mg with 100mg Zoloft and doing alright on it.

I’m having trouble with work. See, I have my Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and some Master’s hours in Reading Education, but I’m working as an assistant. I’ve been blackballed in the county for standing up against a principal during my internship for allowing a teacher to make her students pray daily, I THINK. Who knows? Now I’m stuck as an assistant because I know how to do the work and I have no choice but to keep a job with health insurance. My principal has been dangling the proverbial carrot on a string for years and, just as I go to bite, she takes it away. I’ve honestly lost count about how many times I have been promised a job I’m qualified to have, to only have my spirit broken again and again.

I had to medically withdraw from grad school and I’m not sure how much more of this job I can take. The stress is taking a toll on me. I’m crying. A lot. I’d love to forget reality for a bit, but drinking is Bad News for me with these meds and trying to get a new job that would require a drug tests rules out non-legal options.

I don’t know where to begin proving I’ve been blackballed or begin contemplating disability and social security and the like. I’m at a loss. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you.

Hi, glad you found us.

I'd suggest starting new topics on the appropriate boards for both your work situation and any questions you might have about applying for SSDI. Try "Law, Money and Employment," and/or "People Suck."

Glad to be here. Thanks for the advice. :)

Welcome to Crazyboards. Be sure to read the rules when you get a chance, and let us know if there is anything you don't understand.

Is there a reason why you can only teach in one county? Are you too far from the next county over to commute to a job?

In our state you can't teach in a public school without a Master's degree, so maybe that's the same in your area. I think it puts a big burden on the young people, since they have to get the MS before they can even go job-hunting.

I'm glad you found us and I hope we can help you.

olga

Olga, I do not have a MEd, but they are not required here. I am trying to get into the next county south since I'm on the coast and we're a big county. It's a coveted area so my chances are slim. I'm not losing hope, though.

Archived