My first appointment since 2009

I had my appointment yesterday with my psychiatrist. It went well, I explained what had gone on in the past and that things were fine now, I just needed to be an established patient for when the bad times come, and trust me they will.

That appointment lasted 1 hour, she said all future appointments would be 15 minutes. Is this pretty standard?

She also mentioned counselors/therapists that work in the office, would that be a longer session than 15 minutes? Hope someone reads this and has a few answers.....thanks.... :D

Maintenance med check are typically between 12-20 minutes long depending on the insurance company and the pdoc. Therapy sessions are typically 50 minutes (this goes back decades). This allows time for patient in/out and a few minutes for the practitioner to scratch some notes and review the incoming chart.

My pdoc appt is 15-20 minutes. I'm scheduled for 15, but sometimes it runs under (if all I need are med refills and a quick update) or a bit over (if I'm having issues)

I've seen my pdoc long enough that we csn effectively communicate in this time frame. I never leave there feeling like he didn't listen to me or that all my needs/concerns are not addressed.

But I've had a lot of practice. I've been under the same HMO the whole time I've been treated, and I'm used to the time limitations on the doctors, not just the pdocs.

I find making a detailed list of specific items I want to talk about before I go extremely important. That way I don't forget to discuss anything, and I don't have to worry about it and call the pdoc later on to discuss it.

My pdoc actually spends almost an hour with me each time reviewing my symptoms and my meds and asking questions. My husband comes to also give input. But my pdoc is in an HMO and she doesn't get paid by how many patients she sees in a day. But none of it is like therapy. We talk about my symptoms, not my issues.

My tdocs have always been 50 minutes, without exception.

Archived