One of my uncles phoned me today, asking how my work is going and why I don't work full time. He seemed to be more bothered about it than me. "Everyone does full-time hours" he said. And he kept pressing on why I can't. I can't tell him the truth that having schizophrenia makes the job more stressful. Now I feel so guilty that I'm not doing longer hours. My live with family and they take nothing from me and refuse to do so which makes me feel like a burden. Truth is this week my manager asked if I could put in some full hours. But I refused to do it 5 days a week, saying I can do two full days and three part-time days. We agreed on that.

Does he know you have sz? you aren't a burden. You are doing what you can, that sounds like a good compromise at work. I haven.'t been able to work, so I think it's wonderful you can work that much.

He doesn't know. But my aunt does and she doesn't believe me when I say I have it. I work 8:15am to 12 at the moment and planning to do two full days of 7:30 to 3:30 with half and hour break. Too much of it can be quite tiring for me. Not because of my symptoms but because I don't want to bring them on. I used to work full time before I had the break.

I wonder if your family doesn't believe in your illness because you are so high-functioning, or because you don't have symptoms all the time? Some people just don't "believe" in MI. It would be hard to convince them otherwise unless it happened to them or someone close to them. Anyway, I think you should find a way to say you are worried about working full time, and it is up to you whether or not you disclose your illness. I don't think it would even be wrong to lie and say you have a physical illness. You might be able to just be vague about it. Your health is more important than pleasing your boss.

I don't know what my dr sees but I do not have symptoms on meds at all, atleast not to my knowledge.. She claims she used to see things as well but doesn't believe it is permenant. But anyway, I am going to try and make it clear to him that it's none of my uncles business.

To be honest with the current economy, your family should just appreciate that you even have a job. Plus it is none of their business why you work part time hours. I like what Indigo said about saying it is between you and your employer, which it is.

You are doing well to work. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing too many hours.

Congratulations on working so much! I am impressed that you have progressed to that point. Keep taking care of yourself and only work as much as you are able.

Family can be a real downer sometimes. He obviuosly doesn't know your situation, which puts him at a little bit of a disadvantage too. We walk a fine line with the information we share about our illnesses. Your work situation is personal, it is really none of his business. Try to set his ignorance aside and realize they cannot walk in our shoes. I understand we are supposed to get better at this as time goes on, and I am still struggling with it myself.

Guest Vapourware

I agree with the others - it's not your uncle's business how many hours you work. Also, not everyone works full-time, so his comment sounds nonsensical. It sounds like you have a good handle on self-care, because you recognise that working full-time might trigger symptoms.

Sometimes people make comments like that and it's out of ignorance.

Also, I think sometimes people don't realise that you can have a mental illness, yet also function in society. I think there's a belief in some people that if you are mentally ill, you must be completely incapacitated, but that's not how it works in the real world. I get that attitude from some people too, because I'm not always symptomatic.

Thanks everyone, I feel a little better. I've decided not to do two full days and instead do just a few more hours each day. . That's 7:30am to 1:30pm with 15 mintes break each day. Thats around about 6 hours. I like going in early as there is no one in and I can get a lot of work done that way.

Archived