Ativan vs Xanax? Comments?

Having been off of AAP for three months, I am starting to have anxiety and irritability again. So far I am just taking .5mg of Xanax two or three times a day PRN. So far it is working to calm me down.

I fear the onset of a mixed episode. My pdoc has instructed me to take 2mg of Xanax if I feel one coming on. I am not sure about this. The last time I had an episode I was incoherent, unable to "help myself". Had a friend not called me, I don't know what the outcome would have been.

Anyway, my pdoc had originally mentioned Ativan instead of Xanax. It is my understanding that Ativan takes longer to take effect than Xanax. So it seems like Xanax would be the better bet in this case.

Has anyone ever used either of these for a quick onset mixed episode? What were your results?

I accidentally OD'd by taking too much benzos (xanax) during the onset of my first mixed episode. So I personally don't recommend it, as a mixed episode can send you out of control and limit your rational thinking quite effectively.

If it were me, I would prefer to have a quick-acting backup AAP such as zyprexa to take in the case of an onset of a true mixed state, and save the benzos for anxiety. You can take AAPs for very short periods of time without having to slowly stop them, go through withdrawal, etc.

One of the most effective things I ever had to stop a mood episode was a big shot of haldol. That calmed me down like NOW.

To get me out of some mixed and manic episodes, I've taken 10mg of Haldol for a little while.

I don't see a benzo, especially Xanax, bringing me out of an episode. I can see it helping for the day, though.

This is just personal experience, I'm not a doctor and whatnot.

Anyway, my pdoc had originally mentioned Ativan instead of Xanax. It is my understanding that Ativan takes longer to take effect than Xanax. So it seems like Xanax would be the better bet in this case.

Has anyone ever used either of these for a quick onset mixed episode? What were your results?

Really? Ativan works really fast, especially if you take it sublingual.

I've taken some Navane (an old AP) to help me in a mixed episode.

So I personally don't recommend it, as a mixed episode can send you out of control and limit your rational thinking quite effectively.

Yes, this is my biggest concern. I've never had a mixed episode that I could think about taking anything.

An Ativan dissolved under the tongue works in a matter of minutes. I don't believe that you can get much quicker.

This is good to know. I wasn't aware it was an option.

Thanks for your comments folks.

I think Xanax tastes revolting. I know I can dissolve it sublingually (I give up, I can't spell it), but I can't bring myself to do it; I'd rather swallow it, and spend the extra minutes feeling panicky, as pathetic as that sounds.

I think Xanax tastes revolting. I know I can dissolve it sublingually (I give up, I can't spell it), but I can't bring myself to do it; I'd rather swallow it, and spend the extra minutes feeling panicky, as pathetic as that sounds.

I agree. Try melting it with juice or something; it might not taste as bad.

I dissolved Ativan under my tongue once and felt like I'd wasted the pill because it didn't work or ever kick-in for me. So even when I have a bad panic attack I just swallow them. And wait in misery for them to kick in. But they do work faster than clonazepam did for me.

I know it varies from person to person, but I am fairly sure Ativan (lorezapam) is the fast acting one. I think this because Ativan is what they give seizure patients a big whomp of as soon as they can. It still isn't fast enough, but if I can get some lorezapam into DH after a seizure, he often will head to bed of his own volition about 5-10 minutes later. The problem is a lot can be destroyed in 5-10 minutes, and I can't always get it into him.

My pdoc contends that they are "basically the same, lorazepam just makes you sleepier." Xanax acts in about thirty minutes for me when I swallow it. I can just hope that if I go into a mixed state that I can think to take some, sublingually or otherwise. I appreciate the input. Thanks :)

They even make a sublingual Xanax. It goes by the name Niravam.

I will definitely get some of this. Thanks :)

Archived