When to seek emergency treatment

I am in between pdocs, I see my new one on the 13th. I have very, very high anxiety that is totally uncontrolled by my .5mg a day klonopin. Its giving me chest pains and just a horrible feeling. My question is (since I dont see my new dr for a week) what signs should I look for that may mean I need to go to the ER for treatment

Hi Jen

If you are...

-having thoughts leading to plans of suicide/homicide/self harm leading that you cannot successfully manage at home with your support system

-experiencing psychotic symptoms (audio/visual/other hallucinations) that are not normal for you

-concerned you are having a more medical problem that is not otherwise explained by your anxiety (ie- a different kind or quality of chest pain than you typically get with anxiety if you have that)

-serious disruption to your sleep, hygiene, or appetite such that it is making things worse

Essentially... are you "decompensating" and unable to keep yourself safe until your doctor appointment.

If you can make things a little easier (note, I didn't say "easy") or keep them from deteriorating, even though its hard, you could probably be ok without emergency evaluation.

Does your area have a crisis responder program? Like someone who is a "mental health professional" (I put this in quotes because in my state its a legal designation) that you can talk to in person? Sometimes you can get a referral to these type of people from a crisis line, and they can come see you at home to see if you need to have a higher level of care until your appointment.

There are numbers I can call. I dont feel suicidal but its just such an unpleasant feeling. I may call new pdoc tomorrow and explain my symptoms and see if we can move the appt up

That sounds like a reasonable option. Maybe ask if you can get on a cancellation list if its not possible to officially move the appointment up?

I'm sorry it feels so unpleasant.

What are you doing to distract yourself/make it a little more comfortable?

Sometimes they can add you to a cancellation list or you can call each morning to see if anyone has cancelled.

I don't have anything to add to what Wooster said.

Oops, cross posted, lol.

I know how the waiting can feel during a transition between docs. If you have support use them until then. I agree with calling and explaining your experience and see if you can move up the appointment time.

I generally call around an hour after the office opens every day to see if there is a cancellation. Often, people call to cancel their appointments first thing in the morning, so if you call 30-60 minutes after the office opens, every day, you will have a pretty good shot of getting in early. Be aware, though, that cancellations are often for "that day" appointments. So be ready to go!

Thanks for the advice! I am on a cancellation list for "any appt avail".

I am just utterly miserable tho. I was hoping today would be good but i got woken up by a phone call from hubby stating hes been pulled over and is getting taken to jail (had an old failure to appear in traffic court warrant). So i had to go bail him out.

All of this made me late taking my meds just so i can drive. Geeze...

Archived