I am struggling with paranoia about the way people feel about me. I get thoughts put in my head or hear voices that talk negatively about me and it really sounds true like neighbors, roommates at psych ward when I was IP, people I pass in a store, etc. I know this is cliche but I feel that people are "out to get me" in many ways. Especially wanting to steal from me or my husband. My IP pdoc said it is unfortunate, but this is a chronic thing/illness for me.

I don't know how to get past being suspicious of everyone and feeling like people are constantly out to gang up on me and other such things.

Sometimes it is better and sometimes it is really bad.

How do you guys deal with paranoia? I think my meds are pretty good, not looking for any changes I don't think. I'm mostly asking about coping mechanisms.

The thing I keep telling myself when I'm paranoid is that most people are selfish. They have plenty of things to do other than talk about me. They care primarily about themselves and not me. So if I think they're talking about me or saying things behind my back, they probably aren't. It also helps when I recall a time when I made a complete ass out of myself by accusing the people that I was working with of talking about me and plotting. I made a complete fool of myself. None of it was true. It was all in my head. Having that memory and never wanting to repeat it again is quite effective in stopping me from doing it again.

Hey! I was wondering where you were.

I don't have great coping skills for paranoia. My meds help a lot. But, I think any type of reality checking would help. Sometimes I write out my thoughts to help me organize them better.

Edit: At one time I was paranoid my parents would hurt my family, which was irrational, but that grew into fearing everyone. I was able to logically cut back to just being paranoid of my parents. It wasn't the greatest, but it kept the paranoia from spreading

Guest Vapourware

I agree with Syl. People generally tend to be too busy focusing on themselves, therefore they probably haven't noticed your presence, let alone think of nefarious plans regarding yourself. It's really hard when you're in that mindset, but I find reminding myself helps.

Another thing I find helpful is to do mindfulness exercises. It stops me from ruminating about the paranoid thoughts and therefore stops them from escalating.

A lot of my paranoia comes when I blow one event out of proportion, such as if one person wants to hurt me then so does everyone who is connected with them.

The thing that helps most (apart from meds) is trying anything I can to get my picture of the situation back more to what originally happened. This might be with something like trying to ignore the thoughts about the wider conspiracy, and accepting that it was only the one person. When this works I do manage to freak out less, and avoiding one person is a lot easier than avoiding everyone. But I have only been able to do this since going on the meds and when I am not stressed.

Truth is I could definitely use something better though.

I would say that the meds have been the biggest help for me and have made it possible to do what I have tried to describe above. Most of my coping strategies do more to just get the feelings out and onto paper, and don't do so much to change the feelings because they are just too real. But I do try to distract myself by keeping busy during the day and that can help sometimes.

When I have paranoid thoughts (usually that someone is putting thoughts in my head), I calmly try to disprove them. I also tend to get really worked up over the paranoid thoughts, like I worry that I'm going crazy. So, I tell myself that these thoughts will come up sometimes and that's okay. Usually that helps me because it reminds me that these are just thoughts, not reality.

And I agree that no one gives a shit about you, and is therefore not thinking about you or making plans against you. Remembering that helps me too.

Archived