CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin and Lamictal, Help!

I am now on day 10 of my wellbutrin at 150mgx2. On day 5 i saw something different about myself. I was able to get out of bed, get stuff done during the day, and just keep myself busy. That lasted a couple of days.

Yesterday, day 9, I didnt feel well. I was very, blah. Its hard to explain, but I wasnt able to sleep much last night either. Today I started kinda, blah. My emotions are almost monotone. Will this change? Is my body just getting used to the medicine? I'm staying positive because I know that these meds take effect long term. I just cant understand why a medicine will show effects of happyness, and then the next day, you arent even close.

I just hope that this med isnt bringing mania. So far i definitely see an improvement of my concentration, I do still get up out of bed in the morning. I just feel, blah.

My experience with starting Wellbutrin (which granted, over 20 years ago) was that the first week I felt very up and speedy, and then that wore off, and I was depressed again. After about a month, I noticed I was less depressed. I think my experience is not universal, but typical. I like Wellbutrin, although I am worried it is pooping out. But even if it is, that was a pretty good run.

You're on Wellbutrin SR? I'm guessing so because of dosing twice a day. I tried SR for a while. It really wasn't very good for me. I did much better on XL. It made me run on the manic side for the first couple of weeks and then things settled down. A couple of months after that I increased my dosage.

I believe you can go up to 450 mg/day but that is pretty much the max. The thing is, you've got to give it a good six weeks, minimum, at the dosage you're at now. Until you hit that six week mark, you're not really going to know how much it helps.

I'm on 450 wellbutrin during this episode. I was once tried at 600, but I began to have very minor hallucinations. I now take wellbutrin *whatever letters mean extended release,* but this episode is actually the first time I have ever been on it.

Sometimes you have a honeymoon phase with a med. where it feels like its working miracles (or, sometimes, doesn't work at all) and then slowly fades into how it will actually work for you once your body and mind get used to it.

I personally would give it several weeks and see how you feel then before making too many decisions on the wellbutrin. You may have some ups and downs during that time, but it may work out great for you in the end.

Please keep us updated. I am currently on lamictal and weaning off Cymbalta. My doc wants to replace the Cymbalta with wellbutrin. And I'm trying to read up on as many people's experiences as possible. Good luck to you- hope the wellbutrin hasn't pooped out!

I just tried wellbutrin for the second time. I got manic and chewed out the attendant at my pharmacy. nice :huh: I am very sensitive to psych meds though. Medications affect everyone differently. You can only try them and see. If you are having positive results I wouldn't question it. Keep on going and see if it helps you long term.

I've been on Wellbutrin for 12 years, it's been a good drug for me. During that period I couple of depressive episodes so it was augmented with other meds. I have been on a Wellbutrin/Lamictal combo for about 3 years, and it's the best I've consistently felt in years. I've never had mania, or even hypomania, but my pdoc suspects BP II since I've had several depressive episodes.

It's been so long since I started Wellbutrin that I don't remember how it went. But a good thing to do when starting / changing meds is a daily mood chart. There are some online, or you can make one with the dates along the bottom, and a scale of 1 - 10 up the side. Make a mark each day on where your mood is. It's quick, easy, and it gives you and your pdoc a good snapshot of whether a med is working or not. Otherwise it's too easy to just recall the few days immediately before your appointment, instead of what's happening long term. I never could stick with a journal, but I could always put an 'x' on a chart every day.

Also, title mentions Lamictal, too. Are you on that as well?

Chipmunk, I take generic 450mg of generic Wellbutrin. When I started taking it in the 80s, there was only brand name, and no time release version at all. And then I switched to generic, and guess what? It worked.

This is not true for everyone, of course, but it is true for most people.

So could you please provide a link to the study you have found that says 150mg generics are "really, really, bad?" As Sandorfalot implied, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I didn't think that was an "extraordinary claim". I have read about problems with generic Wellbutrin many places, and my psych refused to prescribe them to me when he normally has no issue with generics. He said they are just too many problems with them for him to feel comfortable prescribing them.

It's only the twice-a-day dosing - the 24-hour generic version is fine.

I actually see him first thing tomorrow so I'll ask him if he can point me to the documentation on which he based his decision.

All an "extraordinary claim" is, is an unsupported assertion, made as if it were fact.

If you haven't noticed yet, people on CBs frequently ask for links in order to support assertions of which others are skeptical. I am skeptical of an assertion you made, and asked you to substantiate it. The ball is in your court.

Most people take the generic version of wellbutrin in the (unnamed) country where I live, as the brand name is quite expensive. I have never heard of any problems, and my shrink did not even blink when I asked for the generic. And the beautiful thing is, the generic works great for me, at least it has for the past 3.7 months. And I count them happily.

Maybe it varies from generic to generic. I can´t imagine all laboratory formulations are exactly the same.

Yep, I don´t dispute that the name brand could work differently, but many people come here for advice before they even start with medication (I did), so why not start with the one that's significantly less expensive at the beginning?

Also, is this alleged difference only with Wellbutrin, or do people see it across the board?

My psychopharmacologist insisted that I not use the generic form of Lamictal. I would have preferred the generic version because of the price difference but he was adamant. He gave me a vague answer about how, even though the active ingrient is the same, the other ingredients in the pill are different and might cause it to work differently or unpredictably. He didn't provide me any studies to back up this claim. I assume his opinion is based on his clinical experience.

oh crap, then I´m double whammied. I have generics of both! So far so good, though, I guess. I haven't run off and joined the circus (my term for my mania-induced isolation and insane exercise trips) or had a panic attack or jumped down anyone's throat or felt so depressed even my vision was black and white (metaphorically speaking) in months. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones!