CrazyBoards.org

For the past few weeks or so, I've been "seeing" bugs, or shadows...or something. Some kind of visual disturbances, I don't really know what to call it.

Mostly what it is is small dark shapes in the corners of my vision, they look suspiciously like a bug (generally the size of a roach), but when I turn to look...gone. Sometimes these "roach shadows" will be not in my peripheral but in my direct line of sight, though my eyes won't be completely focused on it. When I look directly, they are gone. Also sometimes I will see something scurry around near me, but again...not there when I take a closer look. In fact there usually isn't even anything in the area that would resemble a bug or shadow.

Along with the visual things, I have also gotten disturbing physical sensations, like there is some kind of small bug crawling around on me or brushing past me. It's like this creepy-crawly feeling on my skin, but when I try to find the source, there is nothing to find.

These things are occurring most prominently at night, if that makes a difference.

These visuals and sensations have happened to me before, but only when I was deeply depressed, extremely frightened, or lacking in sleep. Right now, I am sleeping too much, if anything, 9-10+ hours, and I don't think I'm particularly depressed, either. I have been a bit scared at night, but I think that's because of these things happening. I've had to sleep with the TV or a light on more than a few times.

I admit I have a sort of phobia of bugs. Sightings of bugs in my house send me into a panic and in a few cases, if one has found it's way onto my body, I have had to scrub in the shower to make the sensation of little buggy crawling on me go away. I have not seen any actual bugs in my house in quite a while, so I'm unsure of where this bug paranoia is coming from.

I've avoided posting about this on the forum because I've been hoping it would go away on it's own, but it hasn't. It's gone up and down in severity, but it's still present. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? A lot of people I've mentioned this to have said they've had similar things happen if they haven't had enough sleep, but I don't think that would apply to me. Even if you can't give me any ideas as to what's happening, if anyone has any suggestions of what I could do to ease the symptoms, that would help too.

(I'm in the process of finding a new pdoc, no tdoc at the moment either, so I'm unable to really discuss this with any professional. I know it would be better to do so, but for the time being I don't have that option. Any help would be appreciated!)

I can only imagine how scary that must be for you ((hugs))

Without access to a pdoc im not sure what to tell you other than just keep reminding yourself that they are not real. I know thats hard to do tho

Edited to ask if you have had a vision check. Just to rule any medical problems out

Edited by Jen78

Thanks Jen, yeah it's been pretty scary and unnerving. I am doing my best not to freak out when I see them and I generally ignore the tactile sensations if it isn't extremely bothersome.

I haven't had my vision checked in a few years and that is on my to-do list since I am in need of new glasses. I have terrible vision, been wearing corrective lenses or glasses since I was about seven, vision seems to get progressively worse. Actually whenever I had mentioned this to my previous pdoc or hospital pdocs, they always passed it off as a problem with my vision. I accept that may be a possibility, but I don't know...

Another possibility, if you get migraines, are that those are auras. The fact that they are on the periphery of your vision made me think of that. One of my auras looks like a bunch of glowing gnats. But another is that my peripheral vision just kind of stops, and I am always turning my head to "catch up" with it, and cannot.

I'm not saying NO those are not hallucinations, I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Can you have migraines without any head pain? I don't know much about migraines at all, personally, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I wasn't experiencing any pain in my head while any of this was happening, that I noticed. I had been having daily headaches for like two months (through May and June), but they stopped before any of these things started to occur.

I'd vote for getting hallucinations getting checked out first. Mine started with mild visual, and progressed to auditory. Ive had sensations that things were crawling on me before, but most of them don't occur during a mood episode.

Maybe it's Sonething as simple as a perephial eye vision problem. But I'd tell your pdoc anyway.

Oh definitely, your doctor needs to know.

You can get migraines without a headache. A migraine is actually a neurological event, one of the worst symptoms of which is a headache, but you absolutely do not need to get a headache to have a migraine. You usually will feel funny or sick, thought. Or that is my experience, so I shouldn't say that so authoritatively.

Edited by crtclms

Thanks both. No pdoc right now, but I just found one that looks good on the surface that I plan to make an appointment with next week. This will be one of the things I mention, for sure.

I don't think I'm in a mood episode right now, but I probably don't have the best insight.

Thanks for the info crtclms, learned something new today. I don't know that I've felt sick at all while this has been going on, but I haven't really been paying too much attention to my physical health, either. "Funny" is probably a good word for it, though. Have been feeling really...off.

I also see bugs and shadows out the corner of my eye, though I see them directly too. When I see them directly, they just look like black dots, not bugs. I believe mine are hallucinations, though I did have a doctor suggest it might be an aura. I also get the creepy crawly feelings, like there's a bug walking on me.

Good luck with the new pdoc, I hope you can get this figured out. It's a very disturbing symptom, especially for someone who is afraid of bugs. I'm terrified of spiders, so I constantly think I'm seeing spiders crawling around my house, it's awful.

I've just started seeing (within this past week) a thing the resembles a horse fly flying through my apt in the living room. I hate those because it is hard to smash them. I could have sworn the first time I saw it that it was real. I mean I saw a full figure fly. But there isn't anything in here. Unless it came through the A/C, there is no other possible entry to this apartment. I am writing this after I just saw "it" again.

Edited by melissaw72

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I just wanted to post in this thread and let everyone know that I think I figured out what may be going on. I got some blood work done last Friday because I've been experiencing extreme fatigue that's become disruptive to my life. They tested for a myriad of things, anemia, mono, vitamin deficiencies etc. I just got a call about the results and much to my surprise, I have Lyme disease. I looked up the other symptoms and from what I've read, some of what's been going on could be explained by the Lyme disease. I'm going to take the medicine the doctor prescribed me and retest in three months, but hopefully all of this will go away. I still plan to mention these things when I get an appt. with a pdoc, but right now I'm figuring it's not anything to worry about.

I'm glad you figured out what was causing this! Sorry that you have Lyme disease.

I often think I see bugs, snakes, lizards or other critters out of the corner of my eye. But I am schizoaffective, so I'm sure that is why.

Thank you guys, really appreciate it. It sucks but I'm glad to know what's been causing my fatigue, general discomfort, and various other weird symptoms. I've been taking doxycycline 2x since Friday, so not very long, but I really hope it starts working soon. I feel like the whiniest person on the planet atm, trying to manage this disease and still function. Good news is, the "bugs" have been far less bothersome, though the crawly skin is still very much present. I'm hoping next week I'll be seeing more improvement.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hope you found the cause of the bug “hallucinations” with the Lyme Disease.  I came here because I have been seeing what I think is a bug or spider (I have arachnophobia) out of the corner of my eye every so often during the day.  Someone suggested it could be caused by floaters.  I do have cataracts and do see floaters, but I usually can tell right away that a spot is a floater by the way it acts.  They usually follow your vision wherever you look.  These spots appear to quickly move out of the corner of my eye, but totally disappear when I look in that direction.  And it’s at random times during the day, not all the time.  It’s scary at that very moment, because I’m scared of spiders, but relieved to find there’s nothing there.  I do occasionally see spiders in the house in this new place I recently moved to, so it’s definitely in the realm of possibility when I do think I see one!