CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
humanoid

Hair pulling, skin picking in pubic area.

wow, on point for me, literally, everything to this post relates to me in some way, what i tried though is for my mom to hide all the tweezers but i would flip out and be obsessed with trying to find them, i'll literally be in the bathroom for hours...and i'll end up with those weird lumps that are all red and yeah i'm embarrassed but i can't really stop the compulsiveness, the other thing was to literally talk/yell/chide you name it until i had enough i guess willpower to literally throw the tweezers across the room and force my self to leave, as of right now, i still have no idea where the hell that thing landed...and that was about 6 or 7 hours ago and it's 12:52 am right now

>.<

fml but yeah i feel it and i'm too embarrassed to be with any guy because of it, like, trust me i swear it's not genital warts or anything! ugh but yeah i feel it my friend (pun implied)

but try chucking them somewhere (somewhere cluttered preferably) and just either forget or give up looking for them or not look down i guess?...try it out or if anyone has any other/better ideas, hit us all up

thanks fam though  for verbalizing something i had no idea how to verbalize :lol:

I started pulling my pubic hair when I was a young teenager. I never had any "talks" with anyone about what would happen to my body while going through puberty. I thought I was a freak because of this dark hair that was starting to grow. I was in gymnastics at the time. One of my teammates pointed out a dark hair in my armpit and I was mortified. I started shaving with a cheap crappy, used razor I found in my dad's drawer and tweezing. That lead to many ingrown hairs. I spent up to 2 hours every night picking with the tweezers. I began to enjoy it, when I found a hair that was especially ingrown and curled around several times I felt so satisfied. I have also picked at my face and squeezed at pores unnecessarily. 

In my early 20's I had laser hair removal done on my armpits and bikini area. That virtually stopped my pubic hair pulling. I still have a few light hairs in that area, but it isn't much different than my leg hair. I just turned 30. I still pick at my face. Instead of an hour a day squeezing real and imaginary zits, I only do it a couple times a week or so. Unfortunately I don't see that ever stopping. My skin heals well, but since I am not getting any younger, I am afraid this won't always be the case. I have realized over time I have mental health issues, and I am not alone or a freak like I once thought I was.

I am currently taking Zoloft for anxiety and OCD. It does help with my social anxiety and obsessive thoughts. I think the true answer lies in diet and exercise. My whole life I have been a processed junk food junkie. I am trying to make a lifestyle change of eating "real" food. It can only help, right?

I can completely relate to your original post, humanoid.  And this description is scarily accurate:

On April 28, 2015 at 3:29 PM, BigRedBear said:

Short hair where I can see the follicle through the skin drives me crazy, ingrown hairs especially so, it looks like I have worms under my skin and I just need to get them out. And now it's slipped into a vicious cycle because the disruption of the skin has caused a lot more ingrown hairs and general bumpiness and itchiness, which I'm even MORE compelled to pick at. And like with you, it's not sexual but just immensely satisfying, like the satisfaction of removing a splinter and feeling like you removed something unpleasant and foreign from your body. I guess something in my brain went haywire and is miscategorising my own hairs as foreign objects.

I feel a disconnect between hairs and my own body.  It's as if I need to purge myself from the hair or object or little tiny but of extra cells / root / pus around ingrown hairs.  
Not sure if this is related (although probably so)- I have a long history of eating disorders, which began with more anorexic tendencies and developed into bulimia.  During the times I would become exhausted from purging, sitting on the toilet after, or even procrastinate before purging, I somehow found myself transfixed, little by little, plucking, picking, and digging at my pubic hairs, hunched over the toilet.  I think it's somehow a similar mental purging / OCD action that gave/gives me great satisfaction.  

One more tid bit:  this is not erotic at all for me.  However, I was sexually assaulted (at the very least) one summer and because of that contracted genital herpes.  Before that incident, this had never crossed my mind.  Shortly after, I became addicted to this behavior in this area of my body.  I had never drawn a connection between the behavior and my past until I was thinking about how the scarring and my embarrassment of my plucking/picking habits affects how I feel about exposing that area to a sexual partner.  I obviously am embarrassed by it, and have only had one new intimate partner (other than a boyfriend I had before and during- he knew about it and thought I was crazy) since I began doing this,  to whom I lied and said I broke out in a rash from a new shaving cream (or something to that affect) in case he saw it while we were making out in our underwear.  I think maybe subconsciously this is also a way for me to visually punish/deface an area of my body that feels secretly dirty and I feel I shouldn't expose to anyone while simultaneously getting satisfaction from the plucking.  It sucks.  I want to stop.  I don't want to have scars all over.  I am tired of wasting literally hours digging at sometimes imaginary hairs or dark spots.

BUT.

I, too, have been able to go days, weeks, at a time without engaging in this behavior.  And, honestly, it's when I don't think about it- I don't even think about stopping it.  I'm busy, or on a trip, and don't have the luxury of alone time in the bathroom with tweezers nearby.

It sucks because there is a cycle.  Once you begin making sores or plucking hairs and then occasionally shaving all of this, it obviously screws up the skin and follicles and creates more bumps and ingrown hairs, thus more places to pick and pluck.  

None of us *want* to do this, yet we find such satisfaction in doing so that it becomes an addictive behavior that's ridiculously hard to stop.  Just like binging and purging for me.

I have found at the slightest urge to do this, if I quickly make myself look straight ahead and focus on a spot on my shower curtain while I'm in the bathroom and pull up my pants when I'm done peeing, I have a higher success rate of not plucking. I've also tried to not stress about it and instead think about the other things in my life that are causing me stress/unhappiness, but also happiness, and work on doing more things that make me happy/healthy and cut out the things that get me down.  When I'm generally more active, more social, more engaged with things in my life, my OCD and unhealthy behaviors are also more manageable.  

Moreover, it's so good to know other people struggle with this.  I thought people only plucked their head hairs.  I have no interest in that or other areas unless I'm picking a scab/pimple/etc.

• Like 1

i've been suffering from dermatillomania since I was very young. by very young, I mean "I remember my father telling me to stop picking my scabs when I was 4 or so years of age". but yes I definitely do the whole pubic area plucking thing as well. I ALWAYS thought I was alone on this. I didn't ever make the connection that it could be trich until recently. along with plucking out pubic hairs, I religiously pluck out the darker hairs around my nipples as well. I have many a scar around my nipples from digging out hairs there.. 

it gives me the same satisfaction as picking scabs if anything. I like plucking the hairs out, especially the thicker ones. recently I spent a good 20 minutes trying to pull a darker hair out of my lower stomach/"happy trail" area and now I have a scab the size of a penny there. which, of course, i keep picking at. nothing ever heals on my body. 

and I pick a lot out in public. and the worst part is that I have a compulsion to eat the scab once I pick it off.. which I do every time. I have no idea how many scabs I've eaten during my lifetime but at this point it's probably well over thousands, possibly tens of thousands of scabs. i have a bunch of scabs on my back that i pick at during class and end up eating. i feel fucking disgusting doing it but i can't help it. it's not like i'm NOT going to do it. I've had so many people say to me "(name), you're bleeding!" and im like. haha, yeah. i know. 

I know this reply is quite late, but in the event you still check this humanoid, have you found a way to stop picking? I can't seem to cease even when I know I'm doing more damage to my skin, especially the lower area. I can like, see an ingrown hair kind of pre-forming so I squeeze and pull and pick until I get it. 2 hours later I'm left with scars, blood and bumps. Bleh. Googling remedies, skincare, scar cream, ahhh! Creates insecurity, shame, guilt and residual anxiety. 

No part of my body is sacred. Anywhere is fair game and I think about it constantly. Picking my cuticles fingers and toes 24/7 and arms while driving. Thighs, nipples and pubes on the toilet. Face in the mirror... Hours a day. Pulling, plucking, pinching, prodding, needling, sometimes cutting, scraping, scratching...

I know it's an old post, but I came across it after searching for a reason as to why i've never been able to stop pulling out my own hair. You're not alone & I posted the following somewhere else too. I know it's no fun & not a competition, but I think I have you beaten. Check this out, & please don't judge (those of you who don't pluck) it's not as though we can just stop, because we cant, otherwise we would have done so by now and not had to resort to posting about our experiences or questioning why we pluck or can't stop. So, here goes....

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, & I'm almost 50 now. Pubic hair, moustache, beard, chest, eyelashes, eyebrows, nose, ear, anal & armpit. In fact, I pull everything but my arms, legs, back & scalp, for some strange reason. I'm terrible, aren't I? The thing is, most of the time I don't realise I'm doing it, other times I do & stop, only to start again later on. It can innocently start with twiddling the hair, or from an itch or tickle. Maybe even stress or boredom starts the process off too. Maybe my hands have to always be doing something. Being male, I often get weird looks having very little or no eyebrows & sometimes they even look like i've been trying to shape them. The face, on the other hand, is even worse. I tend to have at it for hours & before I notice, I have bald patches. At that point, I feel the need to pluck out more in order to get rid of it. Forget shaving off the rest, it all grows back at different rates. After the pulling out, I sometimes stick it to something or pull off the root or twist the hair in my fingers before I dispose of it. I've been known to stick it on tissues, the chair, or the bed, by the root until I realise what I've done & there's hundreds of them that I then collect, or group & throw away. I try to reason that the eyebrow, nose, eyelash or pubic tickle means I need to pull it out to stop the tickle, though an itch in those places results in the same same thing, a good plucking. The eyelash & eyebrow plucking also starts when I rub & notice a hard or wirey hair, I have to remove it because it's irritating. The same goes for the face, a hard or wirey hair & it's pulled out & generally starts me off. An itch or tickle in the back passage often starts that plucking process, or just washing the rear & having the hair in the way might cause me to pull it out. The only upside to all this is that it saves me money on shaving equipment & it doesn't grow back for a long time, but the downside is that the far sides of the face & neck usually hurt when I notice i'm pulling them out, the rest seems to be painless though, which is probably why I can go for hours before i've noticed what i've done. I figure it's not hurting anyone else so there's no point trying to get help now, it's been going on for far too long that I doubt I could ever stop now. I just have to deal with the odd embarrassing moment when I answer the door with half a plucked face & forget that I actually look stupid or like i've had electrolysis or something. 

this is such an old thread but im sooo glad im not the only one out there with this problem. i felt nervous just typing it on google

I constantly am picking at different peices of skin on my hand, fingers and legs. It's so bad that I have permanent scar tissue in some areas. I mainly do it when I'm nervous but it's been gradually getting worse

1 hour ago, Forbidden91 said:

Allegra.

Come again?

• Haha 1

so I also suffer from this picking at the pubic area but Ive only been doing it since Iwas 23 and im 35 now but im so obsessed with doing it more when I get high because the hairs become more acssesable I guess and I'll literally sit there and pick for hours trying to find that one satisfying hair that in my mind is the one that keeps me picking every single hair and yes it feels so good when I get a painful hair out with my tweezers and Ive tried other places on my body with no avail my pubic region is the area that I prefer...... but I so need to know if anybody suffering from this disease has ever had a bacterial hair infection or any other complications