CrazyBoards.org

drugs and booze

My personal experience=goodbye to the binge drinking days.  I can have a couple social drinks and I do fine, but the nights of all out partying are done for this gal. 

Lamictal + many drinks = massive vomiting...very bad!!!

aimee 

My personal experience=goodbye to the binge drinking days.  I can have a couple social drinks and I do fine, but the nights of all out partying are done for this gal. 

Lamictal + many drinks = massive vomiting...very bad!!!

aimee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I too can attest to this one.  Had a VERY interesting (and by interesting I mean bad) experience while binge drinking on my birthday while taking my Effexor and I can't remember if I took a Xanax that day...but the point is, I became a very angry and loud/obnoxious drunk which is completely unlike my pre-meds drunk self.  Made a fool out of myself and lost huge chunks of time, I guess due to blacking out??  YIKES!  No more booze for a while.  I'm sure I might have one or two socially once in a while but yes, the binge drinking days are over.  It's worth it in the long run if you really want to conquer your depression.

I actually could drink on Effexor, just not a good idea.

Recently discovered that I probably won't be doing much drinking anytime soon with my recent addition of Adderall.

Because:

1 drink = feels like 6

Even light drinking (1 or 2) means the next day I am sluggish, unmotivated and in a generally piss-poor mood. Like the residual effects of alcohol cancel out some of the positive effects of my Adderall/Effexor combo.

(as a side note I also haven't had a cigarette in 3 days. Since starting Adderall I haven't had much of an inclination to smoke, so why not quit now?)

(also fyi:

Lexapro + booze = gastrointestinal upsets, barfing, violent mood swings and paranoia. But Lexapro was pretty useless for me anyway xP)

Drinking on psych meds is always a bad idea.  I do drink on social occasions but limit myself to one or two beers tops.  If I drink more I feel groggy, get a headache and crash out.  Your liver is already working overtime cause of the meds.  When you pour alcohol on the mix it really doesn't help.

PBF

your doctor can tell you if there are any physical contraindications. if there are, yes, you should refrain.

as for mood? your own experimentation can probably tell you that. my roommate drinks like a fish almost every other day. and she's on Effexor. reactions are quite individual.

i personally am not a drinker but i've been pressured into having a drink on a few occasions. each time, i paid for it with a few days of hell. BUT, i've read of others here on, for example, lamictal who can have a few glasses a day without consequences.

my doctor has told me not to until i'm stable. but once i am, she tells me it's up to me whether i'd like a glass here and there. but, i already know i'm not going to 'cause i know i'll suffer.

you never know. i suspect, whatever we say, you're going to try anyway. so, good luck.

my roommate drinks like a fish almost every other day. and she's on Effexor. reactions are quite individual.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's just it, when I *wasn't* on the Adderall but just the Effexor, while I didn't drink *all the time* it seemed like I had more of an inclination to drink AND it seemed like I could consume quite a bit with nothing more than the usual hangover-like blahs.

But seeing as alcohol is a DEPRESSANT and I'm being treated for DEPRESSION...maybe I should just lay off LOL XD

Oh well *shrug* I also don't have the desire to drink much on the Addereall. AND I think I've been sleeping better, too! WHERE the F has this miracle drug BEEN my whole life??

I'm thinking maybe I should just stop drinking all together b/c I felt the same after having two shots this morning.  It used to help me get through the day, but now it is doing nothing for me.  Hopefully the Zoloft and Seroquel will take care of my problems, because the alcohol was doing the job just fine until now.

You would think a responsible GP would mention that maybe it's not such a hot idea to drink while taking Lexapro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea he just said that its not a great idea with alcohol being a depressant, but he never mentioned any major side effects.

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of late in on this, but I would like to know what you take seroquel for? I take risperdal for schizophrenia and the problem isn't so much an alchohol/drug interaction but an alchohol/illlness interaction and it doesn't take me much alchohol to trigger a relapse!

Archived