CrazyBoards.org

does anyone like Celexa BETTER than lexapro?

Guest fancypants

Guest fancypants

hi everyone,

i'm new to this board (the posting part anywya) but i have a quick question ----

i was on lexapro for a while last year...(3 months or so )...then i stopped taking it for a few months...but when i restarted it didnt seem to work anymore.

now my new psych just recommended I try celexa. "but isn't lexapro the better newer version of celexa????" i said. and she said lexapro isn't necessarily better....and that part of it is that celexa can now be made generically so the drug company decided had to make a "better" version so they could keep making money from it. hmmm.

ANYWAY....she said she had a few patients who'd actually liked celexa BETTER than lexapro......has anyone tried both and if so, what do they think?

any thoughts on this would be much much appreciated

very truly,

fancypants

Haven't tried lexapro cause I'm very happy with celexa - its the best AD I've been on.  Side effect profile is quite good at low/medium doses and it works well for the anxiety/depression combo.  What I like about it is that its not stimulating (unlike prozac) and doesn't mess with your sleep too much.  Also, a generic is available so cost is decent. 

PBF

Guest fancypants

oh good. very glad to hear it. and thanks so much for replying....

how soon did it start to work for anyhone who's ever been on it???

hmmm well I've been taking lex for 3 weeks now, and yeah it's kinda like nothing.... like swallowing tictacs, seems to do nothing. I'll prolly up it first, then maybe I should try something else

hmmm well I've been taking lex for 3 weeks now, and yeah it's kinda like nothing.... like swallowing tictacs, seems to do nothing. I'll prolly up it first, then maybe I should try something else

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI my sister was on Celexa, because of the price, and it worked well for her, but now she is on Lexapro and says it is the best one she has tried. She has tried a lot of them too... I have tried zoloft and paxil, and now am on lexapro, but only for a month. I was taking 5mg, now 7 1/2mg. I am working up because I am med sensitive, as we all are. I have a mild heart condition as well... It seems to be making me calmer, I don't get as mad, and my bladder condition actually seems to be feeling a bit better. We'll see they say it can take awhile....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Dan_*

I was on lexipro for about a year, and celexa for about 9 months.  My psych said that lexipro is a little "cleaner", it doesn't have the extra half-molecule which is supposed to be inactive.  But that half-molecule might just reduce certain side effects, so he thought.

For me, the side effects on the lexipro were worse, in particular ulta-vivid dreams which really interfered with my sleep.  I basically had to drug myself to sleep every night on the lexipro, which i didn't like.  The celexa messed with my sleep as well, but not nearly as much.

Both drugs had sexual side effects too, both good and bad.  Improved erections, but anorgasmia, difficulty having an orgasm.  Life's a bitch.  I think both of these side effects were also worse on the lexipro, but only slightly.  The sleep side effect of the lexipro was significantly worse for me.

My psych said that lexipro is a little "cleaner", it doesn't have the extra half-molecule which is supposed to be inactive.

My limited understanding is that when making organic molecules they generally have a twisted nature (ha).  The twist can be dextral or sinistral (R or L).  This is a VERY important apect when dealing with vitamin-E since both R and L molecules (d-alpha and dl-alpha) are fat soluable but "they" don't really know how your body gets rid of the L molecule... which could potentially build up to toxic levels, as with any fat soluable substance.

blah blah blah... anyway, lexipro is supposed to be "cleaner" than Celexa because it only has the one orientation (R, I think)... and the other orientation is believed to be responsible for most of the side-effects.  Both orientations are found in Celexa.

Both drugs had sexual side effects too, both good and bad.  Improved erections, but anorgasmia, difficulty having an orgasm. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Celexa I had to supplement with Wellbutrin to get it up, with lexipro I don't.  The delayed/difficulty with orgasms was actually quite nice for me... and my girlfriend.

All that said, lexipro seems to be loosing effectiveness and upping the dose isn't doing anything other than adding nausia to my life.

Archived