CrazyBoards.org

Ok to up my meds myself?

I've done similar, like a temporary spike in my seroquel usage. I note it in my mood chart and my pdoc never seems to notice or care. I personally don't see a problem, since it's just 50mg seroquel we're talkin' here. Many use that amount prn.

But you should definitely bring it up with your pdoc

ah ah ah

You didn't think you would catch us giving you the Ok, did you?  ;)

You need to ask your pdoc.

Do be aware that at higher doses Seroquel tends to lose its sedating effect.  Another reason to ask your Pdoc.

This isn't a big change, you shouldn't have any difficulty getting an answer from your pdoc.

A.M.

I admit I've also adjusted my meds myself when my pdoc was unavailable.

I was so afraid to tell him but I fessed up and he agreed to raise my dose.

Communication with pdoc is essential, be sure to let him know.

Definitely call pdoc.  At least inform him that you did up your meds, or phrase it as a question like you haven't done it yet.  Not that I am encouraging you to lie or anything.  But do what you think he will be most comfortable with.  QAnd don't do it again without calling him!

See, the thing...  I have no insurance.  I go to a community health place called MHMR.  It is kind of hard to get to talk to someone unless you are really going psycho.  I am lucky to get my one appt. every month.  It sucks being poor.  I will call and see in the morning.  But I really neeed this sleep.  I go apeshit when I don't sleep well.

I am scared to take a lower dose of Zoloft or stop taking it altogether.  When I was originally diagnosed, I was horribly depressed.  I had planned to shoot myself in the head and I have a gun and had it loaded.  The Zoloft saved me.  It probably makes me a little manic, but I was hoping my pdoc could find something to balance that out.  I am scared to death to take anything less...although, I forgot to take all my meds today.

although, I forgot to take all my meds today.

I think I've done that, but I'm not entirely sure. After all, I forgot. (Did I take my meds, or not? Should I take more? Do I risk a double dose of lithium? No.... And then the weirdness starts.)

Have you been on Seroquel long? Where is the extra coming from? Has your pdoc ever mentioned supplementary PRN use?

The being poor without insurance part sucks. I am food-voucher-and-soup-kitchen broke. If not for Canadian Medicare, I'd still be an unmedicated self-diagnosed wreck. You've managed the challenge of gaining access to treatment, however far short of ideal. I think you'll be able to muddle through.

When my pdoc prescribed Seroquel for me, she told me to take anywhere between 25mg-100mg to sleep. She said don't take anymore than 4 (each was 25mg, not sure if they come in other dosages), I never made it past 50mg, because it made me...well...not good.

Call the pdoc and ask. More than likely it shouldn't be a problem, but it's always good to know for certain. Besides, this way he can write you a prescription so you won't run out.

I called and left a message, but of course haven't gotten an answer or any type of acknowledgement yet.  The reason I have extra is because my meds come free from the state and I suppose someone didn't pick there's up in September or something like that, so they gave me their bottle and it has 270 100 mg pills in it.  I am only supposed to take 2.5 each day, so I have plenty extra.

Archived