CrazyBoards.org

Am I going to feel better

I just recently started taking meds for my "depression", and I'm wondering, do they actually work.  I had to start taking Zoloft and Seroquel b/c I stopped eating  and sleeping, and then I started getting really angry and then I beat the shit out of one of my classmates (in class and in front of my prof).  So, do you guys think the meds will help me?

Yes, anti depressants can work very well. Prozac certainly helped me a lot. Whether what you're taking is just right for you I don't know. Hoping it is. Don't be surprised if some fine tuning is required.

Prozac literally saved my life on more than one occassion!  One thing to keep in mind, it won't start working with the first dose, that takes time..."they" say 4-8 weeks, but for me Prozac started to make me feel better within 2-3 weeks. Really, best wishes!!

Yes. Antidepressants do work.

I'm living testimony of it -- if they didn't work then I would definately be dead by now. I know it's the same for many other of our members.

You do have to have some patience, the result is not going to be instant and it may take a try or two. Although for the majority of people the first antidepressant works.

Seroquel is also a very effecitve medication, and from what you've said it's one that should help you quite a bit. You should see the results of that fairly quickly.

Fiona

Thank you guys so much for the input.  I was starting to feel lost in this whole situation.  I joined a support group and I don't think they like me too much, I feel so left out.  I hope you guys are doing ok.  How long had you guys been suffering before you started taking meds, and how long have you had relief?  Once I start to feel better will I stay that way?

Eyebeamy,

Welcome to crazyland!

I joined a support group and I don't think they like me too much, I feel so left out. 

I know that very feeling. However, if that support group has been around for awhile, they've had a chance to get to know eachother and develop a shared history. It takes time and patience and growing trust to let someone new into the group. Not that that's a good thing, it's just human nature.

I urge you to give it a chance. Once you become a regular, things will open up.

And, for me anyway, that feeling of being left out more often has to do with my own insecurity and social fear than with anything anyone else is feeling or thinking.

Greeny

I was first "clinically depressed" at age 12 (have really been 'not right' though since I was old enough to realize I was different) but not diagnosed and medicated until age 19. The first med I took was an old tricyclic that worked for me, Imipramine. I have been off and on them for 18 years.Depression is almost like a bad storm, it rages and blows for a good length of time, it's dark and cold and then one day I wake up, "the sun" is shining and I

Eyebeamy-I forgot to add that once you start feeling better you'll have a better chance of staying that way if you stay on your meds. I don't (stupid-I always think that this time it will be different, that I'm truly cured) and end up sick again. I can usually catch it though and start my meds before it gets too bad. My advice would be to take the meds and keep taking them.

Good for you that you're getting help with drugs and a support group!

To answer your question, and back up what our fellow nut jobs are saying, Yes, ADs DO work. So do atypical antipsychotics. However, have no fear, you will probably be in and out of your psychiatrist's office as if it were a revolving door, always trying this or that new dose or med.

My initial feeling is that they may/perhaps just be trying to calm you down now with the Seroquel and get you thinking straight, while the AD kicks in. In any event, best wishes, and do what you can to stay well. Don't let your thoughts about how the people in your support group may feel about you have any impact on you- they're there for the same reasons you are! ;)

So try to relax, and welcome officially to CrazyBoards.

Archived