CrazyBoards.org

what does it mean if your psychosis is replacing your depression, my depression was always stronger than my psychosis, but now i'm not depressed but still having psychotic symptoms. I'm just wondering, i'm not scared maybe i should be. but i'm not.

Are your meds helping you regardless whether depression or psychosis is stronger?

When I am coming out of a depression, my psychosis lingers longer. Lately it hasn't, but I am on APs now instead of just prozac. when I was only given antidepressants it took longer for my brain to clear.

for me it just meant that it took longer to go away than my other symptoms

Edited by hammock

Guest Vapourware

It sometimes happens with schizoaffective - your mood can level out but the psychosis remains. I guess that aspect is what differentiates schizoaffective from <mood disorder> with psychotic features. So, your symptoms sound on par with the course of the condition. Have you spoken to your doctor lately?

When I am coming out of a depression, my psychosis lingers longer. Lately it hasn't, but I am on APs now instead of just prozac. when I was only given antidepressants it took longer for my brain to clear.

for me it just meant that it took longer to go away than my other symptoms

no it's not just lingering, it's also strengthing.

Something similar to this happened to me when I came out of my depression. The mood symptoms had always been prominent, and I even thought I was completely well when they went away. But then I stopped sleeping (having already struggled with insomnia on and off) and my psychosis got a lot worse, and that continued at some level until I went on meds last year. I've not had any mood symptoms at all since coming out of that depression, but the psychosis stuck around.

Since being diagnosed, and also being in therapy, I have come to realise there was always some level of psychosis going on even when I was depressed. My depression was even preceded by a psychotic episode that lasted a few weeks / couple of months.