CrazyBoards.org

Yesterday awoke with major panic/anxiety attack ever, took regular meds effexor (75) and ativan, didn't help at all. Made the monumentus decision to go the local mental health crisis clinic ant my hospital.Well halleulahh!!  Within 20 minutes was interviewed by a mental health intake worker and unbelievably she immediatly recemended a physchiratst see me immedialtly. After 20 minute consultation he prescribed me new meds.Clonazepam 2mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg once a day at bedtime for treating my overwhelming anxiety.My family doctor who has been treating me for 8 years for these symptums would not let me see a phychiatrist. He said u have an emotional didorder and do not need to bother with a shrink. Any way they also started me on a fast track mental health analysis program starting the very next day working with a physcologist and phychiatrist to get my life under control, and monitor my results from these meds, something that was never done in the past.Any way I'm famililar with the clonazepam from taking the lorazepam, but the zyprexa is totally new. I understand enormous weight gain can happen but apparently with my small dose it shouldn't be as bad.I'd love to hear anyones experiences with this med for anxiety or any other condition.

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I think Zyprexa is a really good drug.  I was put on it at 2.5 mg, though, and just could not tolerate the side effects..... those being the sleepiness and the weight gain.  I ate everything in sight.  I tend toward, um, plumpness anyway though and always have to fight my weight.  When I wasn't eating, I was sleeping. It helped my mood TREMENDOUSLY.  I wish I could have stayed on it.

I think Zyprexa is evil. I got horrible akathisia on it and terrible withdrawals trying to come off of it.

Your panic and anxiety could be caused by the Ativan. What dose are you on? With benzos, you can build up a tolerance to them and start experiencing worse panic attacks than the ones that caused you to get on them. Typically, someone starts at a dose, say 1 mg of a benzo. After a while, the benzo stops working, because your body builds up a tolerance and needs more of the drug.

To get the real scoop on benzos, go to:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/forum

I'm not a fan of benzos. I became addicted to xanax in 10 days and had withdrawals coming off that. You'd think I would have learned my lesson and stayed away from shrinks but my family pressured me into going to a psych ward and they basically forced the zyprexa on me.

Yesterday awoke with major panic/anxiety attack ever, took regular meds effexor (75) and ativan, didn't help at all. Made the monumentus decision to go the local mental health crisis clinic ant my hospital.Well halleulahh!!

Hi,

I was put on Zyprexa about seven years ago, but this was before I diagnosed as having BPII. (I was given the drug for severe anxiety.) Anyway, I never asked any questions before taking Zyprexa, and I never read the patient information sheet (not a good idea--you need to be informed). I'm naturally very thin, and I would have freaked out had I known then when everyone seems to know now about Zyprexa and weight gain. I was on Zyprexa (a substantial dose, I think) for eight months, and I didn't gain an ounce. So, everyone reacts differently. Just take things day by day, and if you find you're gaining weight, contact your doctor. As for Zyprexa helping me out anxiety-wise, I do recall it helping me, but I was also on Klonopin.

Best wishes,

Jill :-)

Zyprexa is working wonders for me at 7.5 mg/day.  10mg was a bit too much, had mild tremors at that dose and felt kindov zoned.  Funny enough, I didn't gain much weight on it.  A bit initially, but this subsided.

Some people won't tolerate zyprexa, guess it depends on your system.  But I think its a good med that's definitely worth trying.

PBF

• 4 years later...
Guest saneintheinsanity

Zyprexa is working wonders for me at 7.5 mg/day.  10mg was a bit too much, had mild tremors at that dose and felt kindov zoned.  Funny enough, I didn't gain much weight on it.  A bit initially, but this subsided.Some people won't tolerate zyprexa, guess it depends on your system.  But I think its a good med that's definitely worth trying.PBF

The weight gain is from all the water you are retaining. I took this med for 7 days and what garbage. First of all, apparently I am not bipolar or I would have likely benefited more. First off. I wanted to sleep ALL day... Followed by excessive thirst, motor coordination/balance issues, thought process interruptions, tight muscles all over my body, heavy eyes, constipation, decrease responsiveness, especially while driving, and a HUGE spike in blood pressure 199/99. I do not recommend for anxiety, anger, or sleeping related issues that can be treated with other meds. BEST of LUCK

Guest saneintheinsanity

Yesterday awoke with major panic/anxiety attack ever, took regular meds effexor (75) and ativan, didn't help at all. Made the monumentus decision to go the local mental health crisis clinic ant my hospital.Well halleulahh!!  Within 20 minutes was interviewed by a mental health intake worker and unbelievably she immediatly recemended a physchiratst see me immedialtly. After 20 minute consultation he prescribed me new meds.Clonazepam 2mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg once a day at bedtime for treating my overwhelming anxiety.My family doctor who has been treating me for 8 years for these symptums would not let me see a phychiatrist. He said u have an emotional didorder and do not need to bother with a shrink. Any way they also started me on a fast track mental health analysis program starting the very next day working with a physcologist and phychiatrist to get my life under control, and monitor my results from these meds, something that was never done in the past.Any way I'm famililar with the clonazepam from taking the lorazepam, but the zyprexa is totally new. I understand enormous weight gain can happen but apparently with my small dose it shouldn't be as bad.I'd love to hear anyones experiences with this med for anxiety or any other condition.

Thanks

Zyprexa is working wonders for me at 7.5 mg/day.  10mg was a bit too much, had mild tremors at that dose and felt kindov zoned.  Funny enough, I didn't gain much weight on it.  A bit initially, but this subsided.Some people won't tolerate zyprexa, guess it depends on your system.  But I think its a good med that's definitely worth trying.PBF

The weight gain is from all the water you are retaining. I took this med for 7 days and what garbage. First of all, apparently I am not bipolar or I would have likely benefited more. First off. I wanted to sleep ALL day... Followed by excessive thirst, motor coordination/balance issues, thought process interruptions, tight muscles all over my body, heavy eyes, constipation, decrease responsiveness, especially while driving, and a HUGE spike in blood pressure 199/99. I do not recommend for anxiety, anger, or sleeping related issues that can be treated with other meds. BEST of LUCK

Dear Guest:

Do you have a medical license? If not, then our original poster doesn't need your recommendation for meds. If Zyprexa didn't work for you, that is unfortunate, but we have people here who use it all the time with terrific results.

And by the way, we place more weight on the opinions given by registered members. Guests pop in, spout off and are never seen again. If you want to contribute and be a part of this community, become a member.

olga

I both had and didn't have success with Zyprexa. When I was first placed on it, I was on 5mg. It worked real well for the bipolar and keeping me stable. But over time, I became "use" to the medication and needed more. May have just been the illness progressing, I'm not sure. I started hallucinating so my doctor increased it to 7.5mg and everything settled down again. Then I saw television commercials for Abilify and went back and forth between Zyprexa and Abilify. Abilify didn't help me (akathisia). But every time I went back to Zyprexa I was ok. Over time though I somehow "grew a resistance" to my dosage of Zyprexa and needed higher doses. 10mg and 15mg made me restless (akathisia) and I was uncomfortable with this side effect. But it was controlling the mood swings and hallucinations @ 15mg/day. At that point to stop the restlessness, I had to switch medications. I was switched to Clozaril, which helps the hallucinations and thought processes, and I'm on Lithium and Remeron for my mood. I also take Ativan for my anxiety. So I say give the Zyprexa a fair chance. I'm glad I did.

Archived