CrazyBoards.org

Fluoxetine dosage

I have been on fluoxetine 20mg/day for a month now and have not really noticed a whole lot of difference.  Called the doc yesterday because I needed a refill and asked whether I could get the dosage bumped up.  So now I'm taking the same 20mg, but twice a day instead of once.  Now that I've started this today, I'm starting to wonder whether this was the best decision. 

So here's my question: do you guys think that bumping up the dosage was a good idea, or should I have asked for a different drug?

Maggie

You said  you had "not really noticed a whole lot of difference".  What exactly does that mean...

Have you noticed ANY difference?  A month isn't a long time especially if the dose is a low one, but you should notice something.  You didn't say it was having any detrimental effects either so that is a good sign.  Unless you feel you have gone downhill since starting it I think bumping up the dose is the best first option.

The drug is already in your system and if a bump will kick it in the pants that is way better than starting all over again.  You should know in just a week or two if it is going to help.

I hope it works for you, and soon.

CC~

CC--I have noticed a little difference, primarily in my energy level.  Before the meds, it was all I could do to get out of bed and take care of my daughter all day.  Now we can actually go out and do stuff without me dreading it and having a horrible time.  However, I still feel very out of it and like I'm watching the world on TV, that I'm not really there or that everything else isn't really there.  I know it hasn't been that long yet, but I was expecting more a difference by now. 

Maggie

HEY!  I got bumped but only up to 30. ;)   And frankly....I've been feeling like shit all this week.  Not to hijack the thread, but more to add another voice to the original question; push for 40, or switch meds?  Or wait it out?  It's been about 5 weeks since the bump from 20.

I read most people took 60 to 80 mgs of prozac so why all of you are on so little after months is a bit confusing to me.  I can see giving each increase two weeks or so but if the target is really @ 60 what is with keeping people at 20 or 30 for so long>?

I think you all need to ask your Docs what their usual reccomended schedule and dosing is. Are they just forgetting to tell you to call every two weeks if you think you need a bump  due to lack of progress?

That frustrates me that you all are flopping in the wind and have to ask on a forum what your Docs should have explained at the very first prescribing visit.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No wonder you all aren't feeling much yet.  I had to look up the usual dose of prozac because I take paxil and the mid range dose is at 20 mgs so I thought it may be similar.  Wrong!  I am all about titrating up slowly but when you have a target to get up to two week increases is certainly sufficient for most people.

Good Luck and call those Docs and get up on the med so it can start working.

(lol IM getting indignant for you all)

CC~

Well, I wouldn't want to take more than 20. Fortunately, 20mg seems to be plenty in my case. And that's good, because even that level has some pretty annoying side effects which are a bit more troublesome since I have a new s.o.

I was on 80mg/day of prozac for some time, it was a long while ago, but that is considered a high dose (so I'm told).

But everyone is different, 20mg for one person might be equivalent to 60mg in another person, and it might not work at all for some.

I'm currently on 10mg/day of lexapro, I reckon it needs to go up, but have to wait 3 weeksto see pdoc, I've been on it for 3 weeks only, patience is required I guess.

Good luck, hang in there, it is difficult at this point in drug evolution to find the right thing, I guess things will improve in future.

I was on 80mg/day of prozac for some time, it was a long while ago, but that is considered a high dose (so I'm told).

But everyone is different, 20mg for one person might be equivalent to 60mg in another person, and it might not work at all for some.

I'm currently on 10mg/day of lexapro, I reckon it needs to go up, but have to wait 3 weeksto see pdoc, I've been on it for 3 weeks only, patience is required I guess.

Good luck, hang in there, it is difficult at this point in drug evolution to find the right thing, I guess things will improve in future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Throwing in my two cents...At different times, I have taken 2Omg a day of Prozac, 40 mg of Prozac and 20mg Prozac every other day.(and honest to God,  I've never noticed much of a difference.)  I've read that for most people 40, 60, 80 mg og Prozac give no more relief than 20. FWIW, I am on 20 mg now+Wellbutrin.

The first time I took Prozac I remember feeling like shit for 5 weeks or so, but past 3 weeks, each day was less shitty? then about 5 weeks in, I woke up and felt normal.  Now, when I take it, it starts to work within 3 weeks, could be placebo effect or not?

Best of luck to you and hang in there!! ;)

FWIW, my pdoc told me that 20mg/40mg daily was the normal therapeutic dose for depression.  The higher doses (up to 80mg daily) were usually reserved for those with OCD.  In addition when changing from Prozac to Paxil the dosages were considered to be on a par. 

It appears practitioners still debate about the duration of a 'adequate' trial of fluoxetine.  In this study, researchers concluded that treatment shouldn't be considered a failure until 8 weeks had elapsed.

...a bloody eternity when you're drowning.

I read most people took 60 to 80 mgs of prozac so why all of you are on so little after months is a bit confusing to me.  I can see giving each increase two weeks or so but if the target is really @ 60 what is with keeping people at 20 or 30 for so long>?

I think you all need to ask your Docs what their usual reccomended schedule and dosing is. Are they just forgetting to tell you to call every two weeks if you think you need a bump  due to lack of progress?

That frustrates me that you all are flopping in the wind and have to ask on a forum what your Docs should have explained at the very first prescribing visit.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No wonder you all aren't feeling much yet.  I had to look up the usual dose of prozac because I take paxil and the mid range dose is at 20 mgs so I thought it may be similar.  Wrong!  I am all about titrating up slowly but when you have a target to get up to two week increases is certainly sufficient for most people.

Good Luck and call those Docs and get up on the med so it can start working.

(lol IM getting indignant for you all)

CC~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He told me 20 was the usual.  ;)   I see him tomorrow, and I've decided it's not doing it.  I'm not feeling as shitty as I have, but I'm also not getting out of bed all week.  I'm thinking I should try something different.

Well, I wouldn't want to take more than 20. Fortunately, 20mg seems to be plenty in my case. And that's good, because even that level has some pretty annoying side effects which are a bit more troublesome since I have a new s.o.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are the side effects that you feel from prozac?  I'm asking b/c I also have inattentive ADD and dysthymia and I was wondering how and if it effected your energy level and cognition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are the side effects that you feel from prozac?  I'm asking b/c I also have inattentive ADD and dysthymia and I was wondering how and if it effected your energy level and cognition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they were getting more at the between-the-legs side effects. The existence of which I can vouch for.  There's a topic about sex drive in the sex. side effects forum with other people's....more detailed descriptions.

Well, I've now been on the 40 mgs of fluoxetine for a couple of weeks and still nothing.  I had one GREAT day last week where I wondered whether it was even legal to feel that way...and then the next day was back to square one.  Of course, this evil phlegm monster living in my nose and throat might have something to do with that.  I see the doc on Thursday and at that point we'll decide whether to start over with something else, or up the dosage again.  Grrrrr...I just want to feel normal.  The other option is upping my thyroid meds, but I doubt he'd do that if my levels are normal.  Thoughts, anyone?  I really appreciate the responses and support I've gotten on this board!!

Maggie

Still nothing? As in really truly no response?

This is where I was glad I charted my mood every day from startup. I was in the ugly pit and over the course of a month I was still depressed and anxious but I was not in the ugly pit any longer. I didn't like that it was taking so long but I could not say there was nothing happening.

I would talk about all of your options with the Doc.  I have seen some people say they finally get it to kick and work well at 60 mgs so it is possible if you can go ahead with his permission to give that two weeks. By then you should know. If absolutely nothing after that I would move on.

Of course I am not in your head so if you just do not want to go on with this experiment then you need to say so and hopefully can do it without much disruption. That will depend on the type of med you go to.

I am sorry I know you must be beyond frustrated.

CC~

Yep, still nothing.  I've been doing some research and I think I'm going to ask for Wellbutrin when I go to the doc tomorrow.  It seems like that one is the med for me, although I really don't want to have to start over.  The only thing I really liked about the fluoxetine is that it made me drop 10 pounds in the last month or so.  That's pretty sweet. ;)   I heard Wellbutrin is supposed to help with weight too.  Hope the doc agrees with me and switches me tomorrow!!

Maggie

Yeah I saw that. Try not to let it bug you too much. No one suggested you do anything rash or to take meds that weren't yours or anything else.

You asked a very legitimate question about meds. No matter what we suggest or have an opinion on, your Doc is the one who agrees or not and writes the scripts.

I say more power to the people to know everything about the classes of meds they take!

CC~

Archived