CrazyBoards.org

Sometimes I forget to eat...I have a tendency to drink more coffee when I resist consuming sugary yum-yums. I think hard about making something to eat and then I'll get distracted, do something else, sit down and work. All the while I'm thinking I've eaten since my thinking hard about eating seems to transition into a memory of doing it. The coffee suppresses my appetite further tricking me into thinking that I really did eat.

When I'm asked by a family member "Did you eat today?" I'm like "Yeah!"...but then they ask "What did you eat?" I say "Ummm...eggs? Or was it...oooh...maybe I didn't eat anything...maybe a tootsie roll..."

I've been having so much trouble lately. I keep wanting to post things but I can't collect and organize my thoughts enough to make them make sense unless I just splatter them everywhere uncontrolled. Sorry if this is hard to follow. Today started out so well. My mind was clear but then it took all my will power to be able to sit still for long. I was trying so hard to take advantage of my clarity to get more work done before going into the office tomorrow.

I'm not entirely sure I have AD/HD. I only just began to see a pdoc 2 weeks ago. My gp had me diagnosed ADD. I am not taking any meds at this time. The pdoc mentioned trying Stratera(?) (I think that's what it was) I wish I could have went ahead and got a prescription to try it because I can't stand this. It took me 30 minuets one day to try and make a protein shake because I kept forgetting what I was doing every step of the way. I went to the fridge and forgot what I was going to get and why...and it kept going on until I finally finished. It should normally only take a couple of minutes.

Now I feel like I am just rambling on and on without having said anything that made whatever point I was trying to make. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do until I have my next appt. Of course I didn't mark when my appt is on the calendar either.

Okay it sounds like you are experiencing ADHD type issues, but if you aren't eating adding a stim will only further suppress your appetite, you are in a bit of a conundrum. Try to eat, you may be able to concentrate better, set alarms if you have to. You should discuss this with your doctor, it's a tricky one.

You are perfectly coherent by the way.

I'm glad to know I'm coherent!

My Pdoc did ask about how I'm eating. I told her about my issues with forgetting and that whenever I do feel hungry nothing sounds appetizing enough to eat. Anything that does would take more time to make than I care to spare. Then there is sugary junk food like cookies or chocolate. My craving for sugar is nearly insatiable. If there is nothing sugary to eat in the house I get seriously irritated. I went out of my way to bake a cake over the weekend so I wouldn't eat all the tootsie rolls. I resist eating these things (some days better than others thought) when they're present, so it's silly that I get angry and irritated when they're not. It must be a comfort thing.

Thank you for the alarm suggestion. My husband gets tired of sticky notes all over the place, especially since they aren't my most effective reminders anyways. I am still searching for "effective helpers". For now, it's a clutter of notes and reminders of things I'll forget to do haha!

One of the maddening things I have found is that I find a reminder system that works... and then I become used to it, so it stops working. A few things are the exception, like all the various alarms on my phone.

You have described attention issues similar to my own, the whole "purpsefully thinking about something seems to create a memory of doing it" is me aaalllll over. Doesn't necessarily mean ADHD, but if that GP has known you for a looong while or is familiar with your history, well they could be in a good place to make that suggestion. Where I'm from, gdocs can't diagnose ADHD, but mine's known me for my entire life and thought it pretty likely. Also my BP, which I didn't suspect. She was right on both counts, so it turns out.

Can you go back to the pdoc an talk about Strattera? I concur that stims are likely to deter eating even more, but it is also possible to work with that, and even become accustomed to that side effect.

As Miron stated, it is possible to work around the food issues with stims. If I were to adhere to my own plans, I would eat breakfast, take adderall IR (instant release lasts about 4 hours) eat lunch, take more adderall, eat dinner. The appetite suppression is still somewhat there but it isn't as bad between doses.

In reality, for me, I don't take it daily or on a schedule, I take it PRN when I need to concentrate or I have a case of the dumbs.

It's been a little while. Just have been working a lot, and had to reboot my computer. How I arrived at the dx suggestion is sort of complicated. I went to a neuropsychiatrist and tested negative for any form of ADD. I was tested for it when I was very young as well and it was negative then too. I grew up as a military brat so I've had different Drs as I grew up. I seem to fit well into the dx, but then there are other instances when I may not. I was given Adderall, but then tried Vyvanse. Both helped me focus, but I began to have heart palpitations from merely walking across the room. I was told my metabolism is too active for my body to handle the amount of stimulants needed to keep my focus. I was then given Wellbutrin, but I experienced some scary symptoms at one point for about a week. I cannot, without a doubt, attribute that Wellbutrin was the cause of the symptoms. I'm now too afraid to try it again. It's funny, Miron, that where I'm from my insurance will not cover AD/HD visits to a pdoc but will do so for a gp. My pdoc found a way around this issue.

I have spoken to my pdoc again and I can try Stratera. I've been doing somewhat better lately though...I just hate taking medication, but I know I probably should try. I still have a lot of trouble sitting for long. I have been doing much better with eating and trying not to drink and eat so many stimulants at least.

I was tested by a child psychiatrist specializing in ADHD when I was a kid, and the result was negative. I have not been officially tested since. My pdoc *has* ADHD, for one, and she pegged it as a possibility in our first meeting. Sometimes it isn't so apparent, other things can mask it. I can read like nobody's business mst of the time, always had my nose in a book as a kid, so many people (some docs included) would think I'm not ADD right from that point alone which is ridiculous.

In the end, as always, what matters most is what treatment works for you. I know in some places you need a diagnosis for prescription coverage from an insurance company, but I think your pdoc should be able to help with that part too, right?

Good luck with the Strattera.

Thanks! I totally agree with not trying to concentrate on what to label it. As long as I can find my way best to live to my fullest I will be happy...not to sound like the moral to the end of an old Saturday cartoon or anything hehe ;) . I know I seem to have a habit of coming around back to the subject of "what is it?". I think that's mainly because it becomes useful in some cases to have a name I know will give people an idea of what I'm referring to in a conversation without going into major detail. I'm grateful I have a place to come that a label only really is useful in knowing where to begin posting details. Everyone else helps with the rest. For that, I'm thankful! :D