Albuterol and psych meds

I was just put on this (Albuterol) and have tried googling things, but I can only find the generalization for it to interact with some psych meds. It doesnt say what the interaction might do (so I can be aware if it happens).

Is anyone else on this inhalent? If so, do you have any problems with it?

Thank you for the link. I'm looking for like albuterol and (whatever psych med) will have (such and such) interaction and will cause you to (what if anything it might cause your body to do). I am pretty sure it raises blood pressure; it feel like that at least at the moment.

Melissa are you using it regularly? I think it would be incredibly unlikely for there to be any interactions, especially since it's inhaled and a small dose. The potential for high blood pressure would likely be when it's given it hospital for serious acute asthma attacks, when you would be given much higher dosages.

Melissa are you using it regularly? I think it would be incredibly unlikely for there to be any interactions, especially since it's inhaled and a small dose. The potential for high blood pressure would likely be when it's given it hospital for serious acute asthma attacks, when you would be given much higher dosages.

The DR said to use it as needed, so I have only taken it once. Today though I can tell I may need it even when I am not walking/exercising. So I am not sure yet if I'll take it on a regular basis.

Olga ... I definitely am going to use it before walks and any exercise, including going up and down stairs (if I am somewhere where there will be a lot). I do walk almost every day so in that sense I will use it on a regular basis, just don't plan on using it all day unless I am more active.

If you find yourself using it more than 3 times a week, you may need to go on a preventer.

I emailed my DR this AM because I still am having a hard time (long explanation) and he said he will add a steroid inhaler if necessary, but to give the albuterol a few days because this might be a short-term problem.

What is a preventer?

A preventative is something like Flovent or Pulmicort. It damps down the inflammation in your lungs, and directly address the cause of the asthma whereas the albuterol will just alleviate the symptoms.

Albuterol is inhaled directly into the lungs and is very short acting, so it doesn't really hang out in your body all that much. The only potential issue is that since albuterol stimulates your sympathetic nervous system, it can raise your heart rate and blood pressure. So if you are on any medications that increase those, you could have a temporary problem, at least in theory.

That said I have been on albuterol the whole time I have been on psych meds (4 years now) and have never had any issue, nor has any doctor ever mentioned a concern to me.

Albuterol is extremely benign.

Archived