Best AD with risperidone?

I know "best AD" is completely subjective I just want to hear your experiences though...I am currently on 1mg risperdal for racing thoughts and anxiety. It does not seem to help depression just as I predicted. Virtually every AP I have been on needed an AD to go with it.

I wan't to try wellbutrin but am too squirelly brained to be able to take stimulants. I know wellbutrin is not classified as a stimulant but it's effect seems similar. I need some kind of AD for my chronic anhedonia. I have not had good luck with SSRI's as they are extremely emotionally numbing to me except for zoloft which did not do this.However it made my racing thoughts much worse when I was on zoloft mono-therapy.

Any kind of anecdotal experiences would be appreciated greatly. Thanks!

Um, you are on the tiniest dose of risperidone. You absolutely cannot dismiss it as a potential AD in its own right when you are on a sub-therapeutic level. It makes no difference what you have experienced on other meds in the same class, you can respond to just one. There is just no legitimate way you can be as certain of the result as you seem to be.

And "just as I predicted" doesn't exactly sound like you are being open-minded about giving it a try.

There are a zillion anti-depressants. I can't imagine that there is a single "best" one, although I am sure there are standard combinations that are used as first attempts. I'm not trying to be coy, there are just way too many anti-depressants to make that kind of statement.

Others will come and tell you their experiences. But even their most positive experience does not indicate some gold standard anti-depressant to go with risperidone. I take Wellbutrin, and did so when I took risperidone. But I was taking the risp. temporarily, for agitation during a mixed episode, not as part of a treatment for depression. I've been on the Wellbutrin since 1989.

Sorry if I seemed closed minded with that comment. It's just that every antidepressant and antidepressant like med caused some kind of depression relief sometimes after the first dose, usually in a couple days. I respond fast to some meds that way. however, usually it doesnt take full effect for weeks.

I have been on and off all kinds of meds and am familiar with the effect (on me) so perhaps I can come off as opinionated about them.

I dunno...perhaps I might be jumping to conclusions about the risp as you pointed out...

I WANT to have an open mind about this :) .

PS: That actually would be great if the risperidone took care of the depression without an add on. From what I gather, your saying it has happened before to people with risperidone alone? That's very interesting....

I take Wellbutrin along with risperidone and in my experience, the 'uppity' feeling of the Wellbutrin only lasted about 2 weeks. Now I just feel normal. Which is good -- I had been depressed, so normal, finally, is amazing. I haven't tried risperidone on its own, though. Before I started the Wellbutrin I had also been taking citalopram with it so I can't comment on that part...

I took risperidone for depression on two occasions. The first occasion I believe that it helped me quite a bit, but it didn't seem to do much the last time I took it last year. I wouldn't say that 1.5 mg is a tiny dose for depression. The first time I maxed out at 2 mg, and this last time at 4 mg. The last time I took it, I also was taking Wellbutrin and Remeron. The first time I took it, I was taking Celexa and Remeron.

Now I take Abilify as my AAP to help with depression. It helps me a lot with anhedonia and lack of motivation, though lately it is somewhat pooping out on me. But it worked wonders for a year.

Edit: I just want to add that you have to give these meds several weeks to work. Their efficacy is measured in weeks, not days.

I was on Luvox CR 300 mgs and was on Paxil 30 mgs twice a day with Risperdal. Both worked well with it. I had to quit Luvox because I was unable to take Zanaflex (migraine med) with it, and my triglycerides (?) ended up high, so they kept me on Seroquel and dropped the Risperdal.

Archived