CrazyBoards.org

wtf?!

bella

so, i realize that the loss of appetite/weight loss side effect from adderall isn't for everyone, but since starting zoloft in september i've put on about 7 lbs i was hoping would come off.

but i take adderall and i'm still hungry.

no fair!!

thanks for letting me rant  ;)

hopefully that will eventually happen.  i work out about 4 x a week and so far nothing, but it's only been a week, and if i lost a lb a day i would probably be worried.  so i'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

does actual weight loss from adderall come from the lack of appetite, or does it cause weight loss no matter what?

(sorry if that's an asinine question... i'll blame it on having just woken up)

mmm, probably both.  I would say eating less and havin the metabolism sped up would trigger the exact opposite reaction of say what an SSRI would do (if that particular SSRI was causing one to have constant cravings for food and causing one's metabolism to slow down......not all SSRIs seem to do this, ex. Prozac and Zoloft have been "a coin toss as who gains weight or who loses weight"when taking them.

my roomate/girlfriend has been on Prozac for 10 days thus far and she doesnt want to eat much, and seems to be losing a bit of weight, where as after a few days on Lexapro while not on any stimulant, i had increased cravings to eat! though now on Adderall with Lex i just eat when i need to, i'm a bit hungrier than usual after 10-12 hrs on the Adderall....

I lost weight on Adderall XR 30 mgs at first while on 10 mgs of Lexapro (went from 197 to 188....im 6'1 in ht) and now am back up to 195 lbs after 5 months, though i'm a lot leaner and have more muscle mass .  It seems to have balanced itself out, i've been working out an average of 2-3 times a week over the last 5 months.

These days I'm having a funny experience with my appetite. I don't even think of breakfast sometimes until 2 in the afternoon, but then I eat a lot. I lost a bunch of weight on Prozac and Adderall, but it's slowly returning, unfortunately.

It's important to make yourself eat at regular intervals throughout the day while on stimulants.  Particularly at higher doses it can be real easy to go 12 hours without eating and not really notice until the end of the day when you eat a Volvo.  This can majorly fuck up your metabolism, forcing your body into starvation mode and all that lovely stuff.

Slimfast and Balance bars are good candidates for things to choke down when the you really don't want to eat but really need to anyway.

tell me about it....

yesterday i didnt eat at all until 2:30 pm (got up at 8:40)...this isnt usual, but i can go without eating a lot easier.  And later on i chowed down on half of a large pizza.....heh he.....it could be worse, but there is need to watch the binge eating after one comes off the dose; not just a rebound of the body wanting food after the amphetamine wears off, but also i have noticed myself eating in order to deal with the rebound a bit.....gots to watch that.  chamomile tea and soy milk works great in calmin me from the rebound, and solacing my gut.

ah, weird or wierd? ah just weyrd! he heh.... Bella when are you becoming hungry? (Did you up your Zoloft dosage at all?) After I eat breakfast I usually have a mild appeptite 3-4 hrs later; 8-10 hrs into the Adderall dose i can eat a decent dinner; later at night 12-13th hrs into the dose i feel a bit hungrier. (The SSRI i take plays a part in that hunger as well)

all of the above.  weird, wierd, weyrd...

my zoloft is still at 50, though i'm wondering if it needs to be upped.

i think i'll post something different on that.

come to think of it, i don't think it's the adderall making me hungry, i think i'm just noticing i have SOME sort of appetite after a week or two of nil.

• 1 month later...

Velvet Elvis I have a q

after I take adderal, later on I feel numb, nothing, i know i came down on the adderal, but is this common for people to feel really down after the pills have worn off?  i have tried to wean myself adderal, for this reason, but with out it i am super sleepy, cant concentrate, and eat everything... any thoughts?

Velvet Elvis I have a q

after I take adderal, later on I feel numb, nothing, i know i came down on the adderal, but is this common for people to feel really down after the pills have worn off?  i have tried to wean myself adderal, for this reason, but with out it i am super sleepy, cant concentrate, and eat everything... any thoughts?

i'm not VE, but i have a clarification question.  are you on adderall xl or instant release?

Velvet Elvis I have a q

Im on instant release.

hopefully VE will pop in here and offer his expertise, but you may want to talk to your doctor about switching to the extended release version.  I take XL in the am and IR in the afternoon (i'm a fast processor, i think a lot of people can get through the whole day on just one XL dose.)  anyway...  when the XL starts to wear off it's a lot smoother than when the IR wears off at the end of the day.  when the IR wears off I tend to kind just go *thump* and it's time for bed.  when the XL wears off it's a much more gradual thing. 

neither gives me an emotional crash, but if the crash you're talking about is like the crash i got when ritalin wore off, then eeeek.

i'd say to try the extended release version and see if it makes the end of day wear off less nasty. 

if this doesn't work, or you don't want to try the extended release version, maybe you could work with your doctor on fidning a different stim?  it's amazing how true the whole YYMV thing is.  ritalin and concerta made me sob at the end of the day, but tons of people love them, and i love adderal but you crash off of it....

okay.  i think that would be my adderall wearing out and my mind wandering.

*yawns*

good luck!

Yeah.  What she said.  If you don't have insurance one thing you can try is splitting your last dose in half and taking the second half an hour after the first so as to sorta simulate the effect of SR.  You won't crash quite as hard at the end of the day that way. 

Dexedrine is the drug most like Adderal where the sustained release formulation is available in a generic.

Are you on anything else to raise the baseline a bit?  Any AD can help keeping you from dropping quite as low.

Of the stims, most people agree that Focalin has the fewest side effects and might be worth a try.

Side effects have always been a big tradeoff for me with stims.  At doses where they are really helpful I'm almost gaurenteed to feel like total shit for a couple hours at the end of the day.  Gensing helps a bit.  Booze can help but isn't really the best idea longterm. 

Side effects have always been a big tradeoff for me with stims.  At doses where they are really helpful I'm almost gaurenteed to feel like total shit for a couple hours at the end of the day.  Gensing helps a bit.  Booze can help but isn't really the best idea longterm.

ok, that just cracked me up.

thank you for the help

i think i am going to look into focalin

i have tried the booze thing too

but i am trying to lose some weight... i wish i liked cheap vodka

but i like beer and wine.  and i have a little of a drinking problem, its hard for me to have just one, or two, or three, or.....

i have tried the booze thing too

but i am trying to lose some weight... i wish i liked cheap vodka

but i like beer and wine.  and i have a little of a drinking problem, its hard for me to have just one, or two, or three, or.....

drinking is bad.  this is not a pro drinking comment. 

but it reminded me of something and i just had to share...

my friend SWEARS that if you run cheap vodka through a britta filter it tasts like good vodka.  (though, britta filters are expensive themselves and i don't know if they can go from vodka back to wter filtration...)

anwyay.  britta'd vodka.  and she's russian.  she swears it works.

Archived