Geodon Withdrawals--what is your experience?

I was taken off of Geodon after 2 months last Thursday. It was great for my emotions but sedated me so heavily that there are mornings I don't remember getting ready for work. I had to have my boss drive me home because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was put on Ritalin but I think I was just so done with Geodon at that point that I was ready to be taken off of it. (The ritalin has helped my ADD so that is a bonus).

Anyway, I was put on Abilify which I had taken before. It makes me drowsy but not the same way and I'm hoping the ritalin this time around will help. I got off of Abilify before due to the drowsiness AND weight gain. However, I was on a beta blocker at the time and my gut tells me that is what caused the weight gain.

What is your experience with Geodon withdrawals? I went straight onto Abilify so I'm concerned that I can't differentiate between withdrawals and side effects of the new med.

Here is my experience:

1) throat closing in(anxiety, I'm sure)---the most frustrating of all

2) restless sleep, not really feeling like I'm getting a lot

3) headache(slight)

4) a little down but not full on depressed. Just "blah".

When I cold-turkey quit Geodon, the worst thing for me was the rebound anxiety which lasted for several weeks, but was much more intense for the first few days. There was also some bowel disruption and sleep disturbances.

The restless sleep I would chalk up to Abilify, I had that as a side effect when I was on Abilify (long before Geodon), though I suppose it could be related.

They seem to be going away now. I tried taking abilify during the day but by the time I got home, I was too tired and overheated to even lift weights. So I went back to taking it at night last night and slept ok. I guess that is a bonus.

I wanted geodon to work so badly that I am disappointed to be on something else. Geodon was never consistent. I eat within a calorie budget in order to lose weight and I wonder if that had something to do with it. On nights when we ate out and I had a higher cal, higher fat meal, I was in bed soon after taking my geodon and felt fine the next day. On all other days, I had narcaleptic symptoms in the AM. Bizarre.

Archived