CrazyBoards.org

It was my first time, a few puffs and minutes later was the beginning of something that's stayed with me all of these years. I'm curious about similar experiences of others. I'm especially interested if psychosis began as a result of your first time using cannabis. The stuff that matters I guess would be your symptoms, severity, changes over time, medication that's helped you. I've had major problems with cognition, I'm very keen to hear about anyone's experience with that, too.

yea cannabis didnt trigger my psychosis, it triggered my anxiety and depersonalization....which is 2 VERY different things...a psychosis involves false beliefs that are unshakable, hallucinations etc.....what I have (and i'm guessing you have too) is something where the world doesnt seem the same and looks a little off, you lose touch of your emotions and have cognitive deficits like bad memory....thats all not psychosis its just anxiety and depersonalization....wish reading your other posts you only mention cognitive difficulties

I mean hate to say it but psychiatry as we know it and its practices are very new and doctors dont always make the correct decisions or diagnosis, and I WISH some people in here would seriously know that, just cause your doctor told you you got psychosis and you dont have delusions or hallucinations doesnt mean you really have psychosis, plus antipsychotics just make your cognitive symptoms worse anyways stay away from that stuff (atleast my personal experience)

Edited by momo77

yea cannabis didnt trigger my psychosis, it triggered my anxiety and depersonalization....which is 2 VERY different things...a psychosis involves false beliefs that are unshakable, hallucinations etc.....what I have (and i'm guessing you have too) is something where the world doesnt seem the same and looks a little off, you lose touch of your emotions and have cognitive deficits like bad memory....thats all not psychosis its just anxiety and depersonalization....wish reading your other posts you only mention cognitive difficulties

I mean hate to say it but psychiatry as we know it and its practices are very new and doctors dont always make the correct decisions or diagnosis, and I WISH some people in here would seriously know that, just cause your doctor told you you got psychosis and you dont have delusions or hallucinations doesnt mean you really have psychosis, plus antipsychotics just make your cognitive symptoms worse anyways stay away from that stuff (atleast my personal experience)

I don't think that any of us are qualified to diagnose or second guess a diagnosis by a licensed professional.

I am not a doctor, but I think illegal drugs can trigger mental illness in already predisposed people. There are people who develop mental illness after smoking weed, and some not.

Which are your current symptoms?

Edited by CookieN

I don't think it triggered my first psychosis, but pot has caused me to become somewhat psychotic. It definitely has that potential, if you are so disposed. I'm sorry the problems it caused have been so long lasting for you.

I don't think it as much directly switches psychosis on at the time of smoking it, as such as it does set off what was perhaps always a pre disposition that you may not have known about. Plus, often drug use can be concurrent with poor diet, reduced sleep, lack of exercise, poor or lack of routines, isolation etc which can also contribute to the likelihood of poor mental health in future.

I am not a doctor, but I think illegal drugs can trigger mental illness in already predisposed people. There are people who develop mental illness after smoking weed, and some not.

Which are your current symptoms?

I wanted to hear about other experiences because I wonder if psychosis is in my mix. The doctor keeps coming back to the idea, he believes the cannabis event triggered psychosis. He's been trying to rule it in or out but to date four atypical anti-psychotics haven't gone down well so the theory hasn't really been tested. He talks a lot about current negative symptoms, my cognitive changes and my experience around the time of onset.

After that first cannabis event hit, I was experiencing I think what you'd call depersonalisation and/or derealisation. For many months I was wandering around at school with everything a blur. Turning a corner and forgetting where I'd been, what I'd done. I couldn't keep my thoughts straight at all. It's hard to describe now both because it's hard to remember and because I don't know how to really put it into words. It was a bizarre and really hard time. Things improved gradually to a passable level probably within six to twelve months. I mean, to a point where I could manage to pass for sensible and act the part reliably. Maybe in the next few years I got a little better again but reached a plateau. I still feel how I did back then but to a lesser degree. The major lingering effects of this event I'd say are having a very poor memory, very poor concentration and a large deficit in cognitive ability compared to my previous self. I used to be a top student across a variety of subjects (english, maths, physics, chem, whatever) but struggle to pass straight forward units at university these days. Over a few minutes, one day later, my life had changed so dramatically.

I'd like to find out what happened, of course! While the psych slowly attempts to work things out, I'm trying to make sense of my situation myself. It'd be great to hear someone outline a similar ordeal and how they've progressed with their treatment since - whether psychosis is involved or otherwise.

I don't think it triggered my first psychosis, but pot has caused me to become somewhat psychotic. It definitely has that potential, if you are so disposed. I'm sorry the problems it caused have been so long lasting for you.

Thanks :) Eight or nine years on now, things have been improving at last. In the previous year and a half since I've been getting treatment, everything's been relatively great - it's all only getting better. I'm very happy about the changes!

The current research says that Cannabis in and of itself won't make any old random person have psychosis, but it will trigger it in someone who either already has it, or is already predisposed.

Momo, you seem to have either exactly zero idea of what the clinical meaning of "psychosis" is, or you think all experiences are like yours. Where did you learn that you can't derealize or become very anxious when you are psychotic? There are so many symptoms, you have no clue.

If weed makes you derealize and become anxious, are you having a good time? I don't like derealization. At all. If it happened to me, I would stop using it, and I am a medical cannabis patient, so I am not merely speculating here.

The practice of psychiatry started in the 19th century. How old must it be before it gets your seal of approval? Oncology isn't particularly ancient. So if you develop cancer, I assume that means you won't get treatment, because it is such a new specialization, and hey, the doctors can be wrong.

And have you actually read the boards? Because if you haven't seen criticism of pdocs on here, I have to think you have not.

P.S. CBs, please don't treat me as the font of all knowledge about medical cannabis, I was just explaining his reaction was not normal. I didn't not enjoy being the font previously.

I realise the current knowledge points towards it activating a predisposition but I'm actually trying to identify whether or not I did activate any such predisposition, whether that event initiated psychosis. By hearing how others have fared, I'm hoping to further work out what happened to me. If it's sounding more and more like I did activate a psychosis, it'd be very helpful to learn how others with similar circumstances have been treated.

I realise the current knowledge points towards it activating a predisposition but I'm actually trying to identify whether or not I did activate any such predisposition, whether that event initiated psychosis. By hearing how others have fared, I'm hoping to further work out what happened to me. If it's sounding more and more like I did activate a psychosis, it'd be very helpful to learn how others with similar circumstances have been treated.

If you really are experiencing psychosis (I think depersonalization and lack of concentrations are not), does it really matter what caused it????. Seven years have passed since I became mentally ill, and I haven´t found what caused/trigger it. My doctor says it was stress related, I am not sure if it was. I just gave up finding the cause. I think what is important now, is that your symptoms get under control, wether is with or without treatment.

Of course it does. Knowing what happened will help identify treatment.

Not necessarily, ctane. Unless the cause of psychosis is something reversible (i.e. hallucinating because you haven't slept in a week, hallucinating because you smoke pot everyday, hallucinating as an adverse response to a med), the treatment is antipsychotic medication. I can understanding wanting to know why you're suffering the symptoms you are, but even if you never find the cause, that doesn't mean you'll never find effective treatment as a result. I hope things improve for you soon.

Well I smoked from the age of 12 to 21 and what really effected me was meth XTC shrooms and just alot of stress. I'm sorry you took two puffs and now live with it. Where all in the same boat. Weed opened up a whole new world to me until it turned on me and ugh it makes me anxious and talk to walls and just screws up anything that the doctor is trying to fix. Sorry I couldn't reassure you on a first time. My first time was a blast but I'm not advocating weed use.

My psychosis wasn't triggered by weed, I began hearing voices at 9 long before I ever tried marijuana. I endured a traumatic event that I think triggered my illness as the psychotic symptoms began about 2 months after the trauma. I have smoked weed on occasion and I noticed I would have mild visual hallucinations on it and after this decided it probably wasn't in my best interest to smoke it anymore.

I was ill before I started smoking cannabis and at first I thought it helped - initially I had a lot of fun and felt much better. But it didn't work long term. My friends and I began smoking really heavily, from when we got up until when we went to bed, and of us all, one had a MAJOR psychotic break, one went to prison and one ended up in serious debt. Meanwhile I just went quietly crazy. Eventually I realised I had to stop.

I have smoked on a couple of occasions since then, but it made my thoughts run wild and was not a good experience.

I also used to take ecstacy and LSD back then, and to begin with I thought they were salvation. Then I realised that I didn't really need them because my brain can produce perceptual distortions and euphoric states all by its little self, and the drugs were just exacerbating that.