CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
squirmy

Is their anyone that believes in seasonal mood changes

Do you believe in seasonal changes in your mood for instance during winter time its gloom and doom deppression and in the summer its quite the opposite the chances of me having a manic attack is greater.

Guest Vapourware

I believe it. Although my cycles, before I was medicated were different - I would get depressed in summer and be okay in winter. Now I find the cycle switching towards the other wayv-now I tend to be depressed in winter and okay in summer

Definitely. If I'm not careful and proactive with medication and treatment, I usually enter a depression around winter and christmas time. Winter is just the worst time for me and my first depressive episode took place right at christmas. I don't necessarily get manic in spring or summer, but I definitely feel better and more alive.

I absolutely believe it. Although, my mood is worse in the summer, and better in the winter. I don't like overly bright, glaring sunlight, and hot, hot temperatures of summer. Heat waves rising from sidewalks make me ill. The cool, cold, crisp weather of winter makes me feel invigorated. I think the less intense sunlight during winter is lovely. I think of plants as hibernating in the winter, as opposed to being scorched and dead in the summer. I always have a much more difficult time dealing with my depression during the summer, than during the winter.

Summer is my worst. It used to be that winter was the worst for me, but I got depressed. In the summer I get mixed/manic. And with every change of the season, I have at least a couple of weeks where I am iffy. I wouldn't call it unstable, but definitely symptomatic.

If you are having with trouble with depression in the winter, you might want to look into a SAD light. They can be activating, but most people are okay with them.

Edited by crtclms

I believe it too. Winter is my best of the year. Many people are the opposite, but I just do a lot better in the winter.

I tend to be more depressed at both the middle of summer and middle winter. But recently this year, as the days were getting shorter around September, I noticed a depression which seemed to be related to that.

I tend to be more depressed at both the middle of summer and middle winter. But recently this year, as the days were getting shorter around September, I noticed a depression which seemed to be related to that.

This for me :/ i can feel my depression getting ready to hit like a ton of bricks

I don't have a mood disorder, but I do know that my mood tends to go down in the summer. It is the horrible hot weather and how that makes my pain worse. I'm a lot better in autumn and winter usually.

Heck, yes. My mom once told me that from the time I was 3-4 years old I would be moody from fall through spring. It's not carved in stone, but I do feel the good "buzz" of summer fade right as the mums and pumpkins show up in the neighborhood. I've managed the seasonal changes (and the rest of life's crap) quite well for the past 8-ish years, but I'm not feeling so confident about the soon-to-arrive cold and darkness.

Hell yeah, but I get depressed, or dysphoric mania, in the summer, and feel lovely and calm in the winter. Less sunlight=I sleep better.

For many years I was manic in the summer months and depressed during the winter. Then they started blending together. I have wondered if SAD early in life is a precursor to BP.

I'm glad to hear other people get depressed in the summer. I live in South Texas and we get the equivalent of cabin fever in the summer. It's just TOO hot to go out. I start to feel good around this time of year. But then sometimes I do get depressed once winter really sets in. So I guess I'm better when the weather is not too hot or too cold (although "too cold" around here is a relative term; it hardly gets that cold.)

Yes, absolutely. My meds have just recently been adjusted because it's spring here and the season change has been screwing with my head in a big way. As soon as it started getting light earlier in the day (also the smell in the air changed) and the constant rain eased up I slipped into a perpetual rage at work - angry with everyone, flipping out over the slightest thing, picking fights in meetings. Also driving very dangerously.. non-stop and nonsensical talking with family, picking fights with my neighbours-- it goes on. I'm far more stable in winter.

Edited by miab