CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

Is it possible to trip from depression to mania in 3 days?

I have been depressed since last October although I say depressed and really it's been like this agitated depression followed by what was I think a dysphoric mania this past spring (or whatever phrase you use for those horrible rage filled manias) and then this summer I stopped taking seroquel and switched to depakote and also stopped taking the other drugs I was on which I don't remember now except for klonipin so I was taking 500mg of depakote and 2mg of klonipin at night. So my pdoc gradually raised the depakote (now I'm on 2000mg) but I also slipped into a "normal" depression, just a typical depression without all the agitation and other shit that I always seem to have and it got to the point where I felt like hurting myself so I called her and she put me on wellbutrin at first but I only took that for a few days because it made me nervous so then I saw her in the office and she put me on effexor and right away I started having trouble sleeping but I was only on 75mg for a week then 150mg the next week so I've been on 150mg since Sept 21st. So Saturday I was depressed then suddenly Sunday I wasn't depressed and yesterday I wasn't depressed although I got really irritable with my kids in the afternoon and then today I felt kind of okay but I haven't been sleeping very well and last night my thoughts were racing but I told myself well, my thoughts are always racing and then I took my effexor a couple of hours ago and it was like BAM I have switched from sorta sleepy and relaxed feeling to hyperfocused and hyperaware and my heart is pounding and I looked at a post I made a couple of hours ago versus this one and the difference is unreal it was just like I flipped a switch.

So I called my pdoc and left a message and I told her I couldn't take the effexor anymore; I told her what I was feeling and I am terrified, terrified, terrified of manias because I have those horrible ones; I don't get the nice happy ones anymore only the angry ones where I'm like manic and depressed at the same time. I will take depression over that any day because it's actually more stable and even if my kids see me cry and are worried at least I'm not screaming at them but anyway I'm on 2000mg of depakote so even if I came off the Effexor, I should be okay, right?

But my question was, am I overreacting? Can you really switch to mania that quickly? I took 2mg of klonipin about 10 minutes ago and left her a message. I was talking SO fast. I hate this feeling, like my skin is crawling and I can hear everything; it's all so loud--the ticking clock, the clacking keyboard, the fan on my laptop.

It's 12:05 now and I have until 2:30 to calm my ass down. That's when I go pick up my kids. I don't want to call my husband to go pick up the kids; he's a teacher, he can't just take off whenever and he'll be so upset because we were so happy that I wasn't depressed anymore.

What do I sound like to you guys? Do I sound just manic or do I sound like I'm on the verge of psychosis. I don't hear or see anything unusual; I don't have any delusions I don't think unless maybe I'm delusional that I'm manic.

Fucking hell!! Why can't it ever be JUST RIGHT????!!!! Why does it always have to go over the top one way or the other???

Edited by Teddy

You sound revved up but don't seem delusional or psychotic, at least in this message. It looks like maybe the Effexor had built up enough to push you into being hypomanic. The Klonopin will probably help with the anxiety for now. Could you take a long walk before you get your kids to burn off some of the energy?

In regards to your question-- I have switched from depression to mania (or the other way 'round) within a day, when unmedicated. On medication, I tend to switch more slowly, and it's almost always mixed now.

The klonopin takes almost 50 minutes exactly to work when I take it other than at morning and at night on a regular basis. I'd give it time to work a little longer. Also for me it does not work on an empty stomach.

I have stuff I can do around the house--do the dishes, sweep, vacuum, stuff I've let go because of the depression that will probably help with the freaky energy. I'm so glad you responded dedoubt, your voice is always a voice of reason to me. The klonipin isn't working yet and I'm so used to doing so little while the kids are at school saving up all my energy for the mornings and the afternoon/evenings. The irony is that if i were younger, if this was before I had had kids, I would be like woo-hoo! because I feel like bouncing around but I know the truth about my manias these days, like you said, they're always mixed so any sign of mania has me worried. housework it is then or maybe i will bounce around and just wait to hear back from my pdoc i'm sure she'll say lower it.

Edited to add: you posted while I was posting melissa. i guess i hate right before i took my effexor so i don't think my stomach is empty and oh, god, i don't think i can wait that much longer for the klonipin to work but wait i must! haha!

Edited by Teddy

Could you take a long walk before you get your kids to burn off some of the energy?

Sounds like good advice. I have found long walks helpful when spun up. I also use long walks when I feel panicked within mania. Helps to pass the time when waiting for a doctor to respond. I walk until mildly or greatly fatigued, depending on the mood. Best of luck and hang in there.

As soon as I moved up to 75mg of Effexor I became hypomanic and then went into a mixed episode. This has happened before to me when switching or increasing meds. Effexor also gave me akathisia which is like a feeling agitated and restless.

Well, I did the dishes and cleaned off the counters and picked up all the shit my family has left scattered around the living room and carried it all upstairs and put it away. In the meantime, my klonipin has kicked in and I feel more normal. I'm a little sleepy. Klonipin does that to me, even though it's only 2mg. I'm trying to debate whether I should vacuum. I was actually breathing hard as I whipped from room to room straightening up the chaos that has amassed since I've been depressed. I don't want to overdo it and crash and then when my kids come home I suddenly need a nap.

So that was kind of the shortest hypomania ever. I'm supposed to take my klonipin at night so now I'm guessing I shouldn't take it tonight? And I'm definitely not taking any Effexor until I hear from my pdoc.

Edited by Teddy

Apparently, I can switch very quickly as well. It's not in my signature because it hasn't been applicable in a long time but I used to be an ultra-rapid cycler. Like manic in the morning, depressed in the afternoon, manic at night. It was insane. It took 6 pdocs (and a few IP admissions) for me to admit I was bipolar because I didn't fit into the "depressed for most of the day, every day for two or more weeks; manic for most of the day, every day for at least one week" pattern of BPI. Actually, it wasn't until I joined here that I truly accepted it because I encountered people who were so much like me. I realized it was a bipolar "spectrum." But, yeah, I used to cycle so rapidly, it wasn't even funny.

Well, best not to analyze what happened today too closely. I'm glad I have this message board, though. I'm glad my husband told me earlier this year, "You need to start posting on crazyboards again. You're a lot nicer when you're on there." I'm glad I had some klonipin available and that I wasn't out running errands in my car because I do believe that I would've gone on a shopping spree. Oh, how I love de shoppin' when I'm manic.

Edited to add: And even though I freaked out, at least it was a "feeling good" kind of mania once I got over the initial "Oh my god I feel manic" terror.

Edited by Teddy

My boyfriend can switch in a matter of hours.

I can rapid cycle in hours too, my new meds have calmed it down but it was bad for a while!

Congrats Teddy on getting some stuff done!!

When I have been really unstable I have switched from depression to mania overnight. Effexor caused me to become manic

I can rapid cycle in hours too, my new meds have calmed it down but it was bad for a while!

Congrats Teddy on getting some stuff done!!

Yeah, I was happy to get a little housework done without feeling like I was dragging myself around the house. The klonipin did help as did the housework.

My pdoc's office called and she wants me to drop down to 75mg because she's afraid if I quit altogether I'll go through the withdrawals people have told me about. I just talked to her secretary; I'm not sure if she's going to remove me from it altogether but she's very easy to get in touch with in between appointments...I just call, leave a message and--depending on the severity of the issue--either she or her secretary calls me back same day. Besides my next appointment is on the 15th so not too far away.

Effexor also gave me akathisia which is like a feeling agitated and restless.

I was wondering what that was. That's exactly how almost all AD's make me feel--agitated and restless. I haven't had any experience with SSRI's in a long time but they are completely ineffective at low doses and at higher doses can cause serious side effects and I'm not talking about weight gain or fatigue. For example, Zoloft made me want to kill my husband (then-boyfriend). A day didn't go by that I wasn't throwing shit at his head.

Being bipolar is rough (well, duh, that's like saying "war is hell") but what I mean is it can be so hard to find the right drugs and when you do, inevitably the BP changes on you. My pdoc wanted to try a minimal approach in part because when things DO go wrong, it's hard to know what caused it. It's not always the last thing you added. Sometimes something else just totally changed.

Hopefully the 75mg will be just enough.

Edited by Teddy

I'm glad that you chilled out some (and got something done while you had the energy). Sorry my post was so brief, but I was heading out the door... I really hope that the 75 is the right dose for you, and that you can have that misery alleviated.

I still feel a little revved up, but it feels more mental than physical. I'm SUPER focused. But I'm also feeling very emotional, like easily wounded. It's an odd feeling but--strangely--it's kind of my natural personality. So I guess that's a good thing.

I hope 75 mgs works out good for you. At least you were productive and burned off some energy and didn't self destruct.

I've been taking effexor for well over a year and the only time I feel like that is when I miss my dose and I have to take the dose so I agree with a klonipin and maybe a walk.

I am feeling better. Last night was the first night I've slept well since I started taking the Effexor (I took some melatonin last night to be sure I slept) but now I feel like I could just keep sleeping.

Also, I feel like I'm doing some mild rapid cycling. Want to cry one minute; pissed off the next; overly sensitive to things (like people are making fun of me).

I'm guessing it will take a few days for things to even out.

I am terribly moody during med changes. It's the reason I have to see my pdoc every two weeks lately. I hope you feel better soon!

I'm supposed to take my klonipin at night so now I'm guessing I shouldn't take it tonight? And I'm definitely not taking any Effexor until I hear from my pdoc.

I find if I take the klonopin I do at night, it takes effect by morning.