CrazyBoards.org

Klonopin 0.5 mg v. Xanax 1mg

Hi there,

I'm the asshole who barged in here months ago, absorbed lots of good advice and warm fuzzies from my fellow crazyfolk, and then stopped reading the board whatsoever.  (FWIW, that's how I act in 'real world' communities, too - not consciously, of course, but with a detestable cycle of intense engagement --> inexplicable silence --> humble efforts to reconstitute whatever the engagement was --> etc.  Maybe that's a typical bipolar thing.  Or else, that's a cop-out and I'm really just an inexcusable asshole.  But anyway.)

When last I was making some obstreperous noise here, I was irritable that despite a history of open-throttle panic attacks of a fairly unambiguous nature, I could not seem to get a doctor to "think of" my trying benzos.  (I say 'think of' because time has taught me - both when I've had to advocate for others' medical issues and with regard to myself - that most doctors, even good ones, are loathe to consider the idea that the patient might already have a strong inkling as to what his or her most appropriate diagnoses and medications might be.  The patient is better advised to repeat herself ad nauseum with all the symptoms, etc., using language tailored to what the doctors can understand, after which time the docs might actually have that "aha" moment and, as needed, amend said diagnoses and treatments.  But, I bitchily digress.) (Yes, I know, 'bitchily' is not actually a word.  But it should be.)

Anyway, my doc eventually saw the light.  We started with .5 mg Klonopin, 2x daily, then that was upped to 3x daily.  Then he changed it to 1 mg Xanax 3x daily.

So my question, for anyone who has made it this far and cares to reply, is this: are these low, moderate, or high dosages?  And in changing the Rx from a total of 1.5 mg Klonopin daily to 3 mg Xanax daily, did my doc effectively 'double' my benzo dose, or would a tablet of 0.5 mg Klonopin be in some fashion "equivalent" to a tablet of 1 mg Xanax?

Other meds if that matters: Lamictal 100 mg 2x daily, Concerta 36 mg 2x daily, and Seroquel 25 mg nightly PRN but I almost never take it, since I prefer the evils of PTSD- and GAD-driven insomnia to feeling as if I've been hit by a truck, and, as such, can hardly move in the morning, even if I took the Seroquel early the night before.  As for the other 'help this poor wretch of an insomniac' meds - I've also tried Ambien (doesn't help - I still end up on all-night writing binges; I just start hallucinating by dawn instead of finally going to sleep...), Sonata (zero effect of any kind), and Lunesta (which I've filled but haven't even tried, I suppose out of my overarching sense of doom that I will always be a panicked, sleep-deprived fuck up). 

Sorry for the desperate as well as pissy tone here, it's been a rough week/month/year... etc.

- Q o' B

Hi there, in response to your benzo questions, the doses are equivalent.  They are also on the moderate side.  They aren't the starting dose but probably the "next step" up.  Taking them three times a day for anxiety is not unreasonable either.

for your insomania issues, unfortuantely I don't have any experience with the drugs you have listed.  You might want to check out the Sleep Disorders board and see what those folks have to say there.

Karen

From memory, 1mg xanax equals 2mg klonopin, although you have to take into account the half life, which is so much longer on klonopin.

3mg/xanax per day taken at 1mg intervals of more than four hrs would be around the same as 2mg klonopin taken twice per day, or there abouts.

Depends on the individual though.

I used to use 3x1mg xanax/day, and found i needed around 30-40mg valium/day to achieve the same effect, but this varies from person to person.

And long acting benzos are generally better all round for regular, long term use.

OT, but I noticed your absence ... I had even started reading your blog, then you disappeared, you wretch  ;) Sorry about your current sitch.

(FWIW, that's how I act in 'real world' communities, too - not consciously, of course, but with a detestable cycle of intense engagement --> inexplicable silence --> humble efforts to reconstitute whatever the engagement was --> etc.  Maybe that's a typical bipolar thing.  Or else, that's a cop-out and I'm really just an inexcusable asshole.  But anyway.)

I'm a lot like that in the real world too.  Somehow thinking it's a typical bipolar thing doesn't make me feel any better about it.

As for the other 'help this poor wretch of an insomniac' meds - I've also tried Ambien (doesn't help - I still end up on all-night writing binges; I just start hallucinating by dawn instead of finally going to sleep...), Sonata (zero effect of any kind), and Lunesta (which I've filled but haven't even tried, I suppose out of my overarching sense of doom that I will always be a panicked, sleep-deprived fuck up).

My husband has similar problems with sleep meds ... why don't they WORK for some people?  (Pdoc won't try Seroquel, decided to just concur with his latest drug-of-choice, Benadryl.  Ah well, at least it keeps him out of jail, unlike his last drug-of-choice, alcohol.)  Go ahead and try the Lunesta ... maybe just have the pharmacy fill a partial scrip so you're not stuck with yet another bottle of pills that don't work.  Oh, I forgot, that's what samples are for.  LOL

Archived